Announcing the release of TurboRisk source

Brian Andrews

Mar 14, 2015, 11:52:08 AM3/14/15
to turb...@googlegroups.com
Mario has been kind enough to release TurboRisk under the GPL v3.0.

You can find the project on GitHub here: https://github.com/brian-scott-andrews/TurboRisk

If anyone that contributes would like to be added as a collaborator please let me know your github username.

Thanks,

Brian

Notes from the release are below:

TurboRisk notes for the developers
==================================

Comments in sparse order
------------------------

- In view of making the project open source, years ago I started translating the comments and the variable names
from Italian into English. Unfortunately I never finished this job. With modern refactoring tools changing names
to the variables should be easy
, fast and safe.
As for the comments... whenever you find a comment you don't understand and are not able to translate with online
translators, just ask.

- The procedure Supervisor (unit Globals.pas) manages the turns and the phases of the games.
The way the events manager of the Main window and the Supervisor pass each other the control of the application
is a bit tricky :-)

- TR is made of many units and the source code is not trivial- though I think is well structured and commented.

- To understand how TR handles the maps, read the topic "Making custom maps -> Creating the bitmaps -> Colors".
To make the application multi-plataform we might need to change this architecture.

List of the units in the project
--------------------------------

About.pas                 The About window
Attack.pas              The Attack window
Cards.pas                 The Cards turn in window
CheckUpd.pas          Unit to check online updates
Computer.pas          Handles the turn of TRPs
ExpSubr.pas             Procedure and function used by the TRPs (API)
Globals.pas             Subroutines of general use
History.pas             The History window
Human.pas                 Handles the turn of a human player
Log.pas             The Log window
Main.pas                  The Main window
Map.pas             The Map choice window
Move.pas                  The Troops Move window
NewGame.pas             The New Game window
Players.pas             The Player'
s property window
Pref.pas                  The Preference window
Programs.pas          The TRP choice window
Readme.pas              The Readme window
Rules.pas                 The Rules customization window
Sim.pas             *** part of the TRSim simulator
SimCPULog.pas         *** part of the TRSim simulator
SimGameLog.pas      *** part of the TRSim simulator, ignore this unit
SimMap.pas              *** part of the TRSim simulator, ignore this unit
SimRun.pas              *** part of the TRSim simulator, ignore this unit
SplashScreen.pas    The initial splash screen
Stats.pas                 The Stats window
Territ.pas              Routines to handle territories
TRPError.pas          The TRP error reporting window
UDialog.pas             The dialog window invoked by the API function UDialog

Planned/requested changes

- I planned to move the code from Delphi to Lazarus/Free Pascal, because the second is free, open source
and multi-platform (Win, OSX, Linux and more). Not yet approached, but shouldn't be too difficult.

- I also planned to convert maps to vector graphics to make them scalable, thus more suitable for mobile devices.

- Most requested feature is multi-player.

Brian Andrews

Jul 26, 2015, 6:32:05 PM7/26/15
to TurboRisk, brian.sco...@gmail.com
I had hoped this might draw more interest. Perhaps when the weather become less enjoyable?