error: port not free

orchid

Jan 20, 2009, 11:27:22 PM1/20/09
to TurboGears
hi~

im new to turbogears
i have install turbogears, and done until run tg-admin info.

but when i run start-<projectname>.py, it give error "port not free"
i also have try reconfigure the port number.
but it still give the same error.
i didn't have any application running on that time..

can anyone give solution?
thank you..

orchid

Jorge Vargas

Jan 21, 2009, 2:35:16 PM1/21/09
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

hi, welcome.

the error you are getting has to be that you are running on a port
that is used by something else.

are you trying to run on a low end port? in most OSes you will need
"root access for that" did you try a big random port like 10023?

for the future a traceback with the error will be nice.

Lukasz Szybalski

Jan 21, 2009, 4:33:25 PM1/21/09
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
which config file are you using?

foo-start.py /var/www/foo/prod.cfg
or
foo-start.py development.cfg

Lucas

--
How to create python package?
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/PythonPaste

orchid

Jan 21, 2009, 10:33:04 PM1/21/09
to TurboGears
thank you for reply..

first, i have no application like xampp, skype running on that port
8080.
then, i also try change port number on 10023.
but it still have same error ("port not free").

orchid

Boštjan Jerko

Jan 22, 2009, 1:36:06 AM1/22/09
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

On 22.1.2009, at 4:33, orchid wrote:

> thank you for reply..
>
> first, i have no application like xampp, skype running on that port
> 8080.
> then, i also try change port number on 10023.
> but it still have same error ("port not free").
>
> orchid

Hello!

What OS are you using?

Boštjan

luther0923

Jan 21, 2009, 11:42:38 PM1/21/09
to TurboGears
Hi

I am luther, also consider new to turbogears
Would like to ask, normally what causes the " Port not free "
problems?
I have experience it now and try all the solutions mentioned above but
still facing the errors.
Is there any relevant steps to identify it and solve it?

Thanks
> > for the future a traceback with the error will be nice.- Hide quoted text -

Boštjan Jerko

Jan 22, 2009, 2:01:23 AM1/22/09
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

On 22.1.2009, at 5:42, luther0923 wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am luther, also consider new to turbogears
> Would like to ask, normally what causes the " Port not free "
> problems?
> I have experience it now and try all the solutions mentioned above but
> still facing the errors.
> Is there any relevant steps to identify it and solve it?
>
> Thanks

As far as I know it's more or less what it says: so the port you want
to use is not free.
What I would also do is check if there are any ports closed (e.g. with
iptables ) and tried with another port number.

B.

Florent Aide

Jan 22, 2009, 2:03:05 AM1/22/09
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 4:33 AM, orchid <teddy_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> thank you for reply..
>
> first, i have no application like xampp, skype running on that port
> 8080.
> then, i also try change port number on 10023.
> but it still have same error ("port not free").

Can you tell us on which os you are running?

orchid

Jan 22, 2009, 2:04:44 AM1/22/09
to TurboGears
i can use turbogears now..
my solution:
go to C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\cherrypy-2.3.0-py2.5.egg\cherrypy
open _cpserver.py
find function "start_http_server()"
comment this function "wait_for_free_port(host, port)"
then try again..

Boštjan Jerko

Jan 22, 2009, 2:12:03 AM1/22/09
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

On 22.1.2009, at 8:04, orchid wrote:

> i can use turbogears now..
> my solution:
> go to C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\cherrypy-2.3.0-py2.5.egg\cherrypy
> open _cpserver.py
> find function "start_http_server()"
> comment this function "wait_for_free_port(host, port)"
> then try again..

Aha. Windows.
Do you have firewall on?

B.

Jim Steil

Jan 23, 2009, 3:05:37 PM1/23/09
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible that you're running Kaspersky Anti-Virus? I get the same
thing when I try to start TG on 8080 or 80 while Kaspersky is running.

-Jim

orchid

Jan 22, 2009, 7:04:17 AM1/22/09
to TurboGears
yes. im using windows..
right now my firewall is on..
but before this, i have turn off my firewall..
but it still have same error, "port not free"

Jorge Vargas

Jan 24, 2009, 1:20:10 PM1/24/09
to turbo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Teddy, i'm 99% sure this is an error with your machine and/or
external firewall, proxy what ever. You need to be sure your not
blocking yourself as this isn't TG fault.

qvx

Jan 26, 2009, 12:11:13 PM1/26/09
to TurboGears
Exactly, I've been doing the same thing for the past year or so.