Help wanted for GSoC promotion and finding students!

Christopher Arndt

Mar 19, 2008, 10:47:04 PM3/19/08
to turbo...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

as a follow-up to my announcement that TurboGears is a mentoring
organization of the Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2008 program [1], we
now would like to ask for your help in getting the word out as quickly
and far as possible and attract as many students as we can, to consider
working for one of our projects.

The student applications open next Monday, march 24 and end a week later
on March 31, 2008, so we need to act quickly! We want to give students
the opportunity to discuss their project proposals with us before they
submit their application.

Remember that this is a great opportunity for the project to get fresh
ideas and maybe gain more developers that stay with the project
afterwards. Also, I will not try to hide the fact that this is
potentially a rich source of funding for the project, because not only
will the students receive US$ 4,500 for their participation but also the
mentoring organization will receive US$ 500 for each student! This would
help us enormously to rent better hosting, organize sprints and pay
designers or marketing efforts.

So, how can you help to let the students know about TurboGears and GSoC?

1. Blog, blog, blog! Post you own announcement on your blog, or just
copy mine.

2. Write announcements on your local Python, web development or user
group mailing list, forum or wiki! If you write a non-English
announcement, let us know and share it with us, so others can use it.

3. Print a GSoC flyer [2], copy it a hundred times and distribute it in
your university, in the CS faculties, the mensa, the student cafe,
the job board and the dorms.

4. Create a TurboGears GSoC flyer and/or logo and distribute and share
it with us! Translate a flyer that somebody else made to your own
language for others to use.

5. Tell everybody you know who has contact with students or programmers
about GSoC and that TurboGears is seeking participants! Maybe your
neighbor's / collegue's son or daughter is looking for a summer job?
GSoC is great way to earn money and reputation and makes a good
impression on any CV.

6. Whenever you are on IRC or in a IM-Chat, be sure to mention GSoC and
TurboGears' part in it!

7. Subscribe to the various GSoC mailing lists and watch for students
that are looking for ideas and suggest they have a look on the TG
GSoC ideas page [3].

8. Visit the GSoC pages of other organizations taking part in the GSoC
and steal their ideas for promoting and presenting themselves! :-)

For more information, be also sure to visit our central TurboGears GSoC
2008 page [4]!

Again, timing is critical, so if everybody uses us a little bit of the
massive free time he/she will have over the Easter weekend ;-) than
certainly we have done our best to attract many talented young minds!

Yours,

Christopher Arndt
TurboGears GSoC project administrator <gh...@turbogears.org>

[1] http://code.google.com/soc