Supported Versions?

Michael Pedersen

Apr 25, 2016, 1:12:20 PM4/25/16
to tg-trunk
So, I've been out of it for entirely too long. While working to merge updates for tgext.menu last night, I found a lot of problems related to Python 3 and ToscaWidgets 1. With that in mind, I have to ask: Are we still supporting TW1? And is Python2 still supported?

Just want to make sure I do the work that's needed to get this done, and avoid adding a bunch of extra that's not.

Alessandro Molina

Apr 26, 2016, 3:41:06 AM4/26/16
to tg-trunk
I have not used TW1 for years and was planning to remove it from 2.4, it seems to me it's currently unmaintained so keeping it around is probably an huge burden :D
About Python2 yes, it's still maintained, 2.6+

Actually we have problems with 3.5+ due to Genshi and that's why I was also planning replacing Genshi with Kajiki as the default engine in 2.4 (I also added few minor features and wrote a guide on porting simple genshi projects to kajiki by just changing the master template -> http://turbogears.readthedocs.org/en/latest/turbogears/genshi-xml-templates.html#converting-genshi-templates-to-kajiki )

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Michael Pedersen <m.ped...@icelus.org> wrote:
So, I've been out of it for entirely too long. While working to merge updates for tgext.menu last night, I found a lot of problems related to Python 3 and ToscaWidgets 1. With that in mind, I have to ask: Are we still supporting TW1? And is Python2 still supported?

Just want to make sure I do the work that's needed to get this done, and avoid adding a bunch of extra that's not.

Christoph Zwerschke

Apr 26, 2016, 5:09:51 AM4/26/16
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
Am 26.04.2016 um 09:41 schrieb Alessandro Molina:
> I have not used TW1 for years and was planning to remove it from 2.4, it
> seems to me it's currently unmaintained so keeping it around is probably
> an huge burden :D

It's a bit difficult to migrate from TW1 to TW2 though. I still have one
legacy TG2/Python2 app making extensive use of TW1 where I upgraded TG2
but didn't find the time and energy to upgrade to TW2.

-- Chris

Michael Pedersen

Apr 26, 2016, 9:44:49 AM4/26/16
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com
Okay, sounds like I'm going to need to support tw1 and python2 for a bit longer then. I'm okay with that, I just needed to know. Working on getting the new release of tgext.menu out still. It's an interesting bit of work, to put it mildly.

Alessandro Molina

Apr 26, 2016, 2:32:16 PM4/26/16
to tg-trunk
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Christoph Zwerschke <ci...@online.de> wrote:
It's a bit difficult to migrate from TW1 to TW2 though. I still have one legacy TG2/Python2 app making extensive use of TW1 where I upgraded TG2 but didn't find the time and energy to upgrade to TW2.

Well we can just move TW1 support to a tgext that does exactly what's currently built-in, same as I did for chameleon genshi ( https://github.com/TurboGears/tgext.chameleon_genshi ).

It's already possible and with the new configuration system I hope to include in 2.4 it will also be possible to place it at the same position in the chain.