[TG2] Repoze.who documentation on the way?

1 view

Derick Eisenhardt

Oct 29, 2008, 12:26:56 PM10/29/08
to TurboGears Docs
I was very happy to notice the tgext.Authorization documentation is
now online today, but there's one big problem...the repoze.who docs
still simply say @ToDo: http://turbogears.org/2.0/docs/main/Auth/Authentication.html

As tgext.authorization seem to be designed for use with repoze.who
primarily, I really hope this is in the pipe for the near future.

thanks guys!
- Derick

Gustavo Narea

Nov 10, 2008, 3:48:09 PM11/10/08
to turboge...@googlegroups.com

Yes, it's definitely in the very near future :) Initially, that page will
borrow many bits from the repoze.who introduction I wrote for
repoze.who.plugins.ldap, plus some tips and tricks, so I don't think it'll
take too much time -- I just need to find the time ;-) It's very likely that
I'll work on it in the upcoming sprint in a few days.
--
Gustavo Narea <http://gustavonarea.net/>.

Get rid of unethical constraints! Get freedomware:
http://www.getgnulinux.org/

Lukasz Szybalski

Nov 10, 2008, 3:52:34 PM11/10/08
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Gustavo Narea <m...@gustavonarea.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday October 29, 2008 17:26:56 Derick Eisenhardt wrote:
>> I was very happy to notice the tgext.Authorization documentation is
>> now online today, but there's one big problem...the repoze.who docs
>> still simply say @ToDo:
>> http://turbogears.org/2.0/docs/main/Auth/Authentication.html
>>
>> As tgext.authorization seem to be designed for use with repoze.who
>> primarily, I really hope this is in the pipe for the near future.
>
> Yes, it's definitely in the very near future :) Initially, that page will
> borrow many bits from the repoze.who introduction I wrote for
> repoze.who.plugins.ldap,

Kind of off topic...
can repoze.who.plugins.ldap work with samba authentication if samba is
configured to use ldap as well?

Has anybody tried doing that for authentication?

Thanks,
Lucas

Gustavo Narea

Nov 10, 2008, 4:10:38 PM11/10/08
to turboge...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Monday November 10, 2008 21:52:34 Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> can repoze.who.plugins.ldap work with samba authentication if samba is
> configured to use ldap as well?

To be honest, I have never used samba, so I'm not too sure on what you mean by
"if samba is configured to use ldap as well".

Anyway, this plugin requires an LDAP URL or an LDAP object (see python-ldap).
So, it'll need to interact with the LDAP server after all.

I hope this answers your question :)

Jorge Vargas

Nov 19, 2008, 6:57:37 AM11/19/08
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Gustavo Narea <m...@gustavonarea.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Monday November 10, 2008 21:52:34 Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
>> can repoze.who.plugins.ldap work with samba authentication if samba is
>> configured to use ldap as well?
>
> To be honest, I have never used samba, so I'm not too sure on what you mean by
> "if samba is configured to use ldap as well".

based on the "never have used" part.

> Anyway, this plugin requires an LDAP URL or an LDAP object (see python-ldap).
> So, it'll need to interact with the LDAP server after all.

you do not need samba or AD for this, they are plenty of native ldap
linux implementations

Lukasz Szybalski

Nov 19, 2008, 9:14:45 AM11/19/08
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 5:57 AM, Jorge Vargas <jorge....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Gustavo Narea <m...@gustavonarea.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Monday November 10, 2008 21:52:34 Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
>>> can repoze.who.plugins.ldap work with samba authentication if samba is
>>> configured to use ldap as well?
>>
>> To be honest, I have never used samba, so I'm not too sure on what you mean by
>> "if samba is configured to use ldap as well".
>>
> based on the "never have used" part.
>
>> Anyway, this plugin requires an LDAP URL or an LDAP object (see python-ldap).
>> So, it'll need to interact with the LDAP server after all.
>>
> you do not need samba or AD for this, they are plenty of native ldap
> linux implementations

What I ment was that I am about to setup samba to authenticate all
machines and users to a domain. Samba authenticates users to shared
network drives under the same domain. Samba can be setup to read the
credentials from an LDAP server. If tg2 / repoze.who can also read
from the same ldap server and authenticate users to my applications
then this leaves me with just one place to manage every user.

Lucas

Jorge Vargas

Nov 19, 2008, 9:37:10 AM11/19/08
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Lukasz Szybalski <szyb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 5:57 AM, Jorge Vargas <jorge....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Gustavo Narea <m...@gustavonarea.net> wrote:

>>> To be honest, I have never used samba, so I'm not too sure on what you mean by
>>> "if samba is configured to use ldap as well".
>>>
>> based on the "never have used" part.
>>
>>> Anyway, this plugin requires an LDAP URL or an LDAP object (see python-ldap).
>>> So, it'll need to interact with the LDAP server after all.
>>>
>> you do not need samba or AD for this, they are plenty of native ldap
>> linux implementations
>>

> What I ment was that I am about to setup samba to authenticate all
> machines and users to a domain. Samba authenticates users to shared
> network drives under the same domain.

this is not really samba, samba is a network protocol.

> Samba can be setup to read the
> credentials from an LDAP server. If tg2 / repoze.who can also read
> from the same ldap server and authenticate users to my applications
> then this leaves me with just one place to manage every user.

if samba uses ldap as auth, then in theory this should work.