How to contribute an example project?

Alexey Nezhdanov

Oct 13, 2008, 1:01:45 PM10/13/08
to TurboGears Docs
Hello.
I've written a simple project for my friend using turbogears 1.1+genshi
+elixir+custom validators. I'd like to contribute it as an example
since I had a lot of troubles switching from 1.0+kid+sqlobject so may
be my code may help somebody else.
How can I contribute this project?

Christopher Arndt

Oct 13, 2008, 4:57:03 PM10/13/08
to turboge...@googlegroups.com
Alexey Nezhdanov schrieb:

1) Build a source distribution* and an Egg for your example project:

http://docs.turbogears.org/1.0/DeployWithAnEgg

Don't forget to fill in all the info in release.py.

2) Get a wiki account on docs.turbogears.org and create a new page where
you describe you project and give additional hints & documentation:

http://docs.turbogears.org/DocHelp

Choose a page name like

http://docs.turbogears.org/1.1/RoughDocs/MyAppRecipe

See this page for useful ReST source snippets:

http://docs.turbogears.org/ChristopherArndt/Snippets

3) Attach the source TGZ/Zip and the egg as an attchment to the wiki page.

4) Let people know on the mailing list, your blog, etc.

5) Consider adding a link to the wiki page here:

http://docs.turbogears.org/TurboGearsApplications

Chris

* Make sure you include all project files, i.e. also templates, config
files and static files. See the MANIFEST.in file in current revisions of
the quickstart template in the 1.1 branch for an example of how to
accomplish that.

Alexey Nezhdanov

Dec 14, 2008, 8:17:36 AM12/14/08
to turboge...@googlegroups.com
Hello.
Long after my initial intention to donage a project example I finally managed
to do this.

I have the working, real-life project that is deployed in our local clinic.
It is quite simple - data entry, two pages configuration (who submit data and
what data) and report builder.
It uses turbogears 1.1, in particular - Genshi templates and Elixir db
backend. Since I had to do a lot of my own research on how to use this and
that in 1.1 I think this project may serve as not bad example code for early
testers.

I have just finished editing the project page:
http://docs.turbogears.org/1.1/RoughDocs/MedicalReportRecipe
and added a link to
http://docs.turbogears.org/TurboGearsApplications

Not sure if it too rough to be added to
http://docs.turbogears.org/1.1/RoughDocs

Please have a look and feel free to send me any suggestions on what may be
improved.

--
Sincerely yours
Alexey Nezhdanov

Alexey Nezhdanov

Dec 14, 2008, 8:21:54 AM12/14/08
On Sunday 14 December 2008 16:17:36 Alexey Nezhdanov wrote:
> Not sure if it too rough to be added to
> http://docs.turbogears.org/1.1/RoughDocs

After some thinking I decided to put it there too.
If it violates any rules - feel free to remove.

Florent Aide

Dec 14, 2008, 8:22:24 AM12/14/08
On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Alexey Nezhdanov <sna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
> Long after my initial intention to donage a project example I finally managed
> to do this.

Descripton should be Description

From what I see you just describe rapidly the project and then give
the source tarball. Would you maybe prefer to have some svn+trac
repository so that people could use your code and maybe improve it?

Some screen shots and general info would be appreciated also I think.

Thanks for your time
Florent.

Christoph Zwerschke

Dec 14, 2008, 9:38:33 AM12/14/08
to turboge...@googlegroups.com
Isn't http://turbogears.org/cogbin/ the right place for such things?

-- Christoph

Alexey Nezhdanov

Dec 14, 2008, 10:10:09 AM12/14/08
On Sunday 14 December 2008 16:22:24 Florent Aide wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Alexey Nezhdanov <sna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello.
> > Long after my initial intention to donage a project example I finally
> > managed to do this.
>
> Descripton should be Description
No doubt.

> From what I see you just describe rapidly the project and then give
> the source tarball. Would you maybe prefer to have some svn+trac
> repository so that people could use your code and maybe improve it?

No, I don't really think that this specific project will be of any use outside
the place where it is installed. My purpose atm is exactly as I initially
wrote - make it an example of using genshi and/or validators because that is
what I was having trouble with while writing it. All docs that I've found are
about Kid and assotiated widgets.

> Some screen shots and general info would be appreciated also I think.

Ok, thank you for the feedback, will do.

--
Sincerely yours
Alexey Nezhdanov

Alexey Nezhdanov

Dec 14, 2008, 10:15:56 AM12/14/08
On Sunday 14 December 2008 17:38:33 Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
> Isn't http://turbogears.org/cogbin/ the right place for such things?

Hmm... Actually I never been there but after a quick glance - no, I think not.
As far as I can see - cogbin is a collection of parts that someone can quickly
drop into his own project to awoid writing the same thing again.

You see - when I was coding all this I was looking for the page like
http://docs.turbogears.org/1.0/SimpleWidgetForm
but adopted for toscawidgets. Since I didn't find anything I decided to
publish my results as an example. So idally I'd like this page to end up like
this.

Alexey Nezhdanov

Dec 14, 2008, 12:30:17 PM12/14/08
to turboge...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 14 December 2008 16:22:24 Florent Aide wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Alexey Nezhdanov <sna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello.
> > Long after my initial intention to donage a project example I finally
> > managed to do this.
>
> Descripton should be Description
fixed

> Some screen shots and general info would be appreciated also I think.

Wow. That took almost 3 hours. Now page looks richer and hopefully it become
more useful too.

Anyone interested, please take another look and feel free to comment on what
is wrong and what may be improved.

http://docs.turbogears.org/1.1/RoughDocs/MedicalReportRecipe