Anybody have experience with latex+sphinx

Mark Ramm

Feb 24, 2009, 11:08:42 PM2/24/09
to turboge...@googlegroups.com, turbo...@googlegroups.com
It would be nice to have PDF docs for TG2 and sphinx supports
printable docs, but I have not had time to look into it. Anybody done
this before, or is willing to take a stab at getting it working for
us?

Thanks!

--
Mark Ramm-Christensen
email: mark at compoundthinking dot com

anita kean

Feb 24, 2009, 11:15:49 PM2/24/09
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:08:42PM -0500, Mark Ramm wrote:

> It would be nice to have PDF docs for TG2 and sphinx supports
> printable docs, but I have not had time to look into it. Anybody done
> this before, or is willing to take a stab at getting it working for
> us?
>
> Thanks!

It shouldn't be hard.

1) make latex
from the same directory as you usually
make html

You'll see, on success, :

Build finished; the LaTeX files are in .build/latex.
Run `make all-pdf' or `make all-ps' in that directory to run these
through (pdf)latex.

So
localhost$ cd .build/latex/
localhost$ make all-pdf

will do it.

--
Anita

Jorge Vargas

Feb 25, 2009, 3:36:48 PM2/25/09
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Mark Ramm <mark.mch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be nice to have PDF docs for TG2 and sphinx supports
> printable docs, but I have not had time to look into it.  Anybody done
> this before, or is willing to take a stab at getting it working for
> us?
>
> Thanks!

Anita/Kevin

It will be great if this info is added to the "how to build
documentation docs" That way we can all do it like monkeys in the
future.

http://svn.turbogears.org/docs/2.0/docs/main/Contributing.rst

All,

The only issue I see with this is the way we are currently making
links. Since we are using plain old relative links in rst we are using
the .html suffix which I'm certain will break in PDF. Sadly this is
the only sane way of doing it. Sphinx trunk has a "real" way of doing
this but I'm not sure we want to have people use trunk to build the
docs.

there is a new :doc: role
http://groups.google.com/group/sphinx-dev/browse_thread/thread/fc03262827999f5e/327bc5e380c2f459?lnk=gst&q=jorge.vargas#327bc5e380c2f459

and the current solution is here. Maybe we should move everything to
this ugly double ref.
http://groups.google.com/group/sphinx-dev/browse_thread/thread/ef74352b9f196002/0e257bc8c116f73f?lnk=gst&q=+links#0e257bc8c116f73f

Lukasz Szybalski

Jun 1, 2009, 12:13:50 PM6/1/09
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Jorge Vargas <jorge....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Mark Ramm <mark.mch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It would be nice to have PDF docs for TG2 and sphinx supports
>> printable docs, but I have not had time to look into it.  Anybody done
>> this before, or is willing to take a stab at getting it working for
>> us?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Anita/Kevin
>
> It will be great if this info is added to the "how to build
> documentation docs" That way we can all do it like monkeys in the
> future.
>
> http://svn.turbogears.org/docs/2.0/docs/main/Contributing.rst
>
> All,
>
> The only issue I see with this is the way we are currently making
> links. Since we are using plain old relative links in rst we are using
> the .html suffix which I'm certain will break in PDF. Sadly this is
> the only sane way of doing it. Sphinx trunk has a "real" way of doing
> this but I'm not sure we want to have people use trunk to build the
> docs.
>
> there is a new :doc: role
> http://groups.google.com/group/sphinx-dev/browse_thread/thread/fc03262827999f5e/327bc5e380c2f459?lnk=gst&q=jorge.vargas#327bc5e380c2f459

Are you saying that if you install sphinx trunk version right now and
compile tg docs you can get the proper pdf with proper links?
Or you need to convert the links and then build with trunk version of sphinx?

Thanks,
Lucas