TG1.1 -> TG2.0 migration document first draft

Jorge Vargas

Dec 15, 2008, 12:49:15 AM12/15/08
to turbogea...@googlegroups.com, turboge...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys I just uploaded to the wiki my first draft of what I plan
to transform (with your help) into a full TG1 to TG2 migration guide.

For the inpacient, I took Christopher Arndt pastebin-like app SpammCan
and plan to make it fully working in TG2 (it is not at about 70%) here
is the Link to the current doc.

http://docs.turbogears.org/2.0/RoughDocs/1.1Migration

For the rest of you the doc is very detailed and I worked on it
together with a repository of the changes so you could clone that and
follow it step by step (with mistakes and everything)

Why this app?
1- I have been using it since the first day he posted it
2- I wanted to port it to TG2 anyway
3- It's a very simple app, yet complex enough to provide a real world
application.
4- I wanted to know nothing about the code base, to make this an
impartial, conversion. Also to show that you can easily port an
unmaintained TG1 app you like to TG2, without much trouble.

to Christopher, surprise! your app works on TG2

The future, the work here isn't done. I plan to split this document
into 3-4 documents (it's currently very long ~350 lines)
1- everything that involved project migration, (up to the point where
a quickstarted/very simple app will work)
2- A full on explanation of everything that has changed (this will be
the section "SpammCan Specific" and below
3- a "quick guide" with just a bunch of change this to that, to serve
as a checkpoint list for people that are already familiar with the
process.
4- I'm not entirely sure about this but a document in the form of
http://pythonpaste.org/webob/differences.html also I'll probably write
a patch against that doc to differentiate between TG1 and TG2

Now don't be afraid for the size of the file it is just very detailed,
because it even explains which is a good diff tool to use. I calculate
that part one should take you less than an hour, part two really
depends on how tied into cherrypy your application is.

Last but not least I'm open to suggestions and contributions, at this
moment the document should be considered draft, so please give me
feedback on sections and migration patterns, rather than grammar and
typos.

I guess that's it enjoy, and looking forward for the feedback.

PS: feedback is better appreciated as comments on the page or
structure of the document you can commit to moin.

Iain Duncan

Dec 15, 2008, 1:06:25 AM12/15/08
to turboge...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the work Jorge, that sounds like a much needed doc. I plan on
using it soon. =)

Iain

Florent Aide

Dec 15, 2008, 2:12:46 AM12/15/08
On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 6:49 AM, Jorge Vargas <jorge....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys I just uploaded to the wiki my first draft of what I plan
> to transform (with your help) into a full TG1 to TG2 migration guide.

I propose that once this doc stabilizes a minimum you put a link to it
in the http://docs.turbogears.org/1.0/Upgrade page so that people
searching for this material find it easily.

Cheers,
Florent.

Jorge Vargas

Dec 15, 2008, 2:31:14 AM12/15/08
to turboge...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, my final goal is to put it inside the sphinx docs, but I'll
keep in mind to edit the wiki to point to it.