Tunnelblick TAP/TUN on Apple M1 macOS Monterey 12

Artūrs Soldatovs

Oct 28, 2021, 6:02:00 PM10/28/21
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hello,

Will give feedback about my experience with Tunnelblick. I use Tunnelblick because my VPN configuration contains TAP, in my case I’m not able to change from TAP to TUN.

First I update macOS from Big Sur 11 to Monterey 12 and Tunnelblick works without any issues.

Later I did clean install of macOS Monterey, install Tunnelblick then install extensions, all process was exactly like on Big Sur.
But on clean install Tunnelblick stop working, when connecting it give error "Cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically”
I was playing around and find out that if in Tunnelblick under Utilities section I use Uninstall tun and tap system extensions… and straight after using Install tun and tap system extensions… after I can successfully connect and work trough VPN.
But if I disconnect and try connect again it will fail with same error "Cannot allocate TUN/TAP dev dynamically” but if again to repeat tun and tap system extensions uninstall/install it will connect again until next disconnect.

Hope I was helpful and you will be able ASAP bring updated version of Tunnelblick for macOS Monterey 12.

I was using:
macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (clean install) on MacBook Air (M1, 2020) with chip Apple M1.
Tunnelblick 3.8.6a (build 5711) but same issue is with 3.8.7beta02 (build 5730).
Tunnelblick configuration is default.

Regards,
Artūrs

Artūrs Soldatovs

Oct 28, 2021, 6:20:30 PM10/28/21
to tunnelblick-discuss
P.S.

"Never load Tun driver" and "Never load Tap driver" checkbox is disabled, can't be changed.

Artūrs Soldatovs

Oct 28, 2021, 6:51:57 PM10/28/21
to tunnelblick-discuss
Find that instead of tun and tap system extensions uninstall/install I can use command in Treminal
sudo /Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/openvpnstart loadKexts 2
But issue presists, I have to run this command every time before connecting to VPN with TAP.

Tunnelblick developer

Oct 28, 2021, 10:42:08 PM10/28/21
to tunnelblick-discuss
What you are describing sounds like a bug or bugs in Monterey, similar to the bugs in Big Sur when it was released.

Artūrs Soldatovs

Oct 29, 2021, 10:30:46 AM10/29/21
to tunnelblick-discuss
Get it working by uninstaling latest version and then installing Tunnelblick 3.8.5a build 5671
No more problems with TAP, it loads it self and connects to VPN without any issues.
Now under "Configurations" -> "Settings" -> "Advanced..." checkbox is active/changeable and by default is on "Load Tap driver automatically"

After try update Tunnelblick to latest version, but issue come back, "Never load Tun driver" and "Never load Tap driver" checkbox is disabled and can't be changed. Again downgrade back to 3.8.5a build 5671 and everything works. It's necessary to remember once after new install do "Install tun and tap system extensions…" reboot is not required.

Tunnelblick developer

Oct 29, 2021, 6:51:25 PM10/29/21
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thanks for all your work on this. It is a bug in Tunnelblick that will be fixed in the next release.

Tunnelblick developer

Oct 30, 2021, 12:23:27 PM10/30/21
to tunnelblick-discuss
Tunnelblick 3.8.7beta03, which has just been released, should fix this problem.

Artūrs Soldatovs

Oct 30, 2021, 3:53:50 PM10/30/21
to tunnelblick-discuss
Big thanks for fast fix, it's working and checkbox for TAP driver load is active too.

Ram Mohan

Nov 27, 2021, 9:51:20 PM11/27/21
to tunnelblick-discuss
I had the similar issue,  works perfectly fine with Tunnelblick 3.8.7beta03. Thank you, much appreciated.