Tunnelblick hangs during the installation

alan zhou

Jun 7, 2022, 8:25:08 PM6/7/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi. there
I am experiencing this for my new M1 MacBook Air. Today, I got my new M1 Air, and downloaded Tunnelblick 3.8.7a. I double click the Tunnelblick icon, It launches the "Welcome to Tunnelblick" window, And then I click the "I have configuration files" button, without any response. Click the "Quit" button, no response. Try to use "Activity Monitor" to kill this application, It is still there.

Reset NVRAM, It does not work.  Does anyone have the same issue ?

Mac: M1 MacBook Air 2020
OS: MacOS 12.4
tunnelblick 3.8.7a

alan zhou

Jun 7, 2022, 8:26:56 PM6/7/22
to tunnelblick-discuss

Tunnelblick developer

Jun 7, 2022, 8:37:17 PM6/7/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
This isn't normal. What version of macOS came with your new MacBook Air (e.g., "Version 12.4 (21F79)")

alan zhou

Jun 7, 2022, 8:54:31 PM6/7/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi

Thanks a lot , This MacBook Air comes with macOS 12.4. This is not a beta version. Please check the screenshot. It is just 12.4
My company uses Tunnelblick. This is the third time I have encountered that issue.  I used to reset PROM ,  But it is not working right now.

Best Regards,

Alan

Jiayi Chen

Jun 10, 2022, 4:50:37 PM6/10/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi all,

I am an IT admin and this issue keeps happening with different laptops at my company. We are using the latest version of Tunnelblick and the MacOS is 12.4. Please help!

This message (and any associated files) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by sending a reply email and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

Tunnelblick developer

Jun 10, 2022, 4:52:28 PM6/10/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
What is in /tmp/tunnelblick-installer-log.txt after an attempted install?

Jiayi Chen

Jun 10, 2022, 5:05:00 PM6/10/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
The installation is successful for me, but any popup (asking whether user has a configuration file, wrong password, delete credentials) are irresponsive and gets stuck on screen.

Jiayi Chen

Jun 10, 2022, 5:28:58 PM6/10/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
Also, this problem seems to only occur on M1 computers

Tunnelblick developer

Jun 13, 2022, 4:16:14 PM6/13/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
@Jaiyi and @alan: Is there anything unusual about these computers? What other software is installed on them?

Jiayi Chen

Jun 13, 2022, 5:01:58 PM6/13/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
Not that I am aware of, the computers are basically brand new.

alan zhou

Jun 13, 2022, 5:16:38 PM6/13/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
Actually,  It could relate with M1 mac NVRAM. I have two new M1 Macs ( 1 MacBook Pro 14" , 1 MacBook Air 2020 ) that have this issue.

Even erasing  all content and settings can't solve this issue.

MacBook Pro 14"  reset NVRAM solved

But MacBook Air still pending in there

Jiayi Chen

Jun 14, 2022, 4:43:00 PM6/14/22
to tunnelblick-discuss
Thank you for your suggestion Alan, but resetting NVRAM (I assume you are doing so with "sudo nvram -c") didn't work for me. The computer was a MacBook Air

Martin Rode

Feb 20, 2023, 2:08:59 PM2/20/23
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi there, I have a similar issue. Trying to install latest version of TB on my late 2013 Intel Mac (27"), running MacOS 13.2.1 (Ventura) with OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP). When TB starts after installation it gets stuck saying "starting..." but nothing more happens. Might be connected to the spoofed OS and fact that I don't have a M1 but still running Ventura. Any ideas please?

Tunnelblick developer

Feb 20, 2023, 2:34:37 PM2/20/23
to tunnelblick-discuss
marod…@gmail.com, which "latest version of TB"?