Using Tunnelblick with Aiccu

Michal Cichra

Mar 25, 2011, 5:39:39 AM3/25/11
to tunnelblick-discuss
Hi,
recently I started to use sixxs tunnel using aiccu. Aiccu requires
tuntaposx. I tried to run aiccu with Tunnelblick's kernel extensions
but failed. I'ts possible to make loading tun/tap kexts optional to
test tunnelblick with tuntaposx kexts?
I'm using acciu (20070115) and tuntaposx (20090913) from macports.

jkbull...gmail.com

Mar 25, 2011, 5:58:43 AM3/25/11
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, Michal Cichra

To override Tunnelblick's automatic loading of the tun or tap kexts required for a connection, see the following per-configuration Preferences: "-doNotLoadTunKext", "-doNotLoadTapKext", "-loadTunKext", and "-loadTapKext".

So for the "abc" configuration, you would set the "abc-doNotLoadTunKext" and "abc-doNotLoadTapKext" preferences. See Preferences for information on how to set preferences.

Please post the results of your experimentation here!

Michal Cichra

Mar 25, 2011, 8:18:12 AM3/25/11
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
I wasn't able to turn loading kexts off. I've tried setting by default command and that verifiing by Property list editor and values are set.
I've tried setting on two configurations - avion and wedos
I've tried setting 'wedos-doNotLoadTapKext', 'wedos-doNotLoadTunKext' and respective values for avion to true and false with no results (when i set it to true, tunnelblick tried to load both tun and tap kexts)
I've tried to set -loadTapKext and -loadTunKext to yes and no with no results
I've tried combining both with same (no) results.
Is there some way to debug this?

Using OS X 10.6.7; Tunnelblick 3.1.6 (build 2190.2392); OpenVPN 2.1.4

Regards
Michal

Michal Cichra

Mar 25, 2011, 8:45:46 AM3/25/11
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
I've checked source and maybe you will need this:
/Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/openvpnstart start wedos.tblk 1337 0 0 0 1 49
/Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/openvpnstart start avion.ovpn 1337 0 0 0 1 49

are bitmasks ok?

I tried to compile project but it fails complaining about some missing directory (Xcode 4).

Regards,
Michal

Michal Cichra

Mar 25, 2011, 9:39:10 AM3/25/11
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com
So... I've compiled openvpnstart from svn trunk and replaced that one in app bundle. And it WORKS!
I think that openvpnstart bundled in app was outdated (not updated by auto updates or not included in release?).
But original one failed on bitmask 48. Now with bitmask 49 it works. And tunnel also works!

Regards
Michal

jkbull...gmail.com

Mar 25, 2011, 6:39:35 PM3/25/11
to tunnelbli...@googlegroups.com, Michal Cichra
Thanks for your work on this -- you have found a bug. If openvpnstart sees that it is not supposed to load either tun or tap kext, it loads both! Totally wrong!

I don't understand why it is now working for you -- recompiling from source should not help, since the bug is in the current source code.

I will be fixing this as soon as I can, probably next week, in both a 3.1.x bugfix release and a 3.2betaXX release.

If you want to fix it in the current source version of openvpnstart, just remove the first three lines of the loadKexts routine in openvpnstart at about line 1096:

void loadKexts(unsigned int bitMask)

{

    if (  bitMask == 0  ) {

        bitMask = OUR_TAP_KEXT | OUR_TUN_KEXT;

    }

    NSMutableArray* arguments = [NSMutableArray arrayWithCapacity: 2];

    ifOUR_TAP_KEXT & bitMask  ) {

so it looks like this: