Re: Actor model experiments

Dimitris Vyzovitis

Apr 30, 2009, 11:47:13 PM4/30/09
to Tom Novelli, Dale Schumacher, Faré, Tom Novelli, Rommel Martinez, tunes-...@googlegroups.com

How about we migrate to the google group? We might as well make the
conversation public instead; I value human opiniions higher than spambots.

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Tom Novelli wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Dale Schumacher
> <dale.sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I still haven't seen any comment on anything published at
>> <http://dalnefre.net/drupal/>
>
> Maybe people are all blogged out, or aren't willing to register just
> to post a comment. I can tell that a few people read it because they
> mention it in person, but they hardly ever leave comments. You might
> try posting on Lambda-the-Ultimate if you really want a reaction :)
>
> I've read your site but I only have one question so far: Where's the
> development snapshot that's supposed to be on this page?
> http://dalnefre.net/drupal/node/4
>
> - Tom

-- vyzo

Dimitris Vyzovitis

May 1, 2009, 1:30:41 PM5/1/09
to Dale Schumacher, Tom Novelli, Faré, Tom Novelli, Rommel Martinez, tunes-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 1 May 2009, Dale Schumacher wrote:

> "A Foundation for Actor Computation", Agha, Mason, Smith and Talcott
> (1993). This includes an operations semantics for an actor language
> based on a simple functional core.

I've been working with actors for 10 years now. Of course I am familiar
with Agha's work.

> "Definitional Interpreters for Higher-Order Programming Languages",
> Reynolds (1998). An excellent discussion of separating evaluation
> order in the "defined" language from the semantics of the "defining"
> language in a meta-circular context.

I haven't read this one, but as a devoted schemer I have read shitloads of
equivalent stuff. I doesnt seem as it could possibly say something
that is not covered by SICP or LispInSmallPieces or Jones' "compilation of
functional languages" book, but I'll check it out when I find some time.

> "ActorScript: Implementing massive local and nonlocal concurrency",
> Hewitt (2009). Uses some difficult-to-follow notational conventions,
> but corresponds closely to my own experience with implementing actor
> primitive, also in a meta-circular context.

Are you trying to base a language on the scribblings of dyslexic
programers? :p

-- vyzo