Why doesn't this work?

John Dungan

Apr 15, 2009, 11:49:33 PM4/15/09
to Tulsa Python
I'm try to pass a choice from a posted form to this generic django
view. The idea is to select the form rather than create a separate
generic request for each type.

def add_foo(request):
foo_type= request.POST.get('foo_type')
logging.info("FOO TYPE: %s", foo_type)
return create_object(request, form_class=foo_type,
post_save_redirect=reverse('policies.views.policy_list'),
)

The problem is that is fails on the logging stmt with:

Exception Value: 'unicode' object has no attribute '_meta'

I know this is going to be something simple, so my apologies. Also I
know the next line is trouble so any suggestions on passing the
correct form_type to create_object would be appreciated.

A latte on me at the next meeting to whoever solves this headache.

Devin Venable

Apr 16, 2009, 10:19:18 AM4/16/09
to John Dungan, Tulsa Python
John,

Logging seems to handle both regular and unicode strings.  No exceptions here using Python 2.5.2.

>>> foo_type = u'This is a unicode string'
>>> print type(foo_type)
<type 'unicode'>
>>> import logging
>>> logging.info("foo type: %s", foo_type)

Are you sure the exception is on the logging line?

Also, which version of Python and Django are you using?  Or is this AppEngine behavior?

Devin

Steven Osborn

Apr 16, 2009, 11:30:11 AM4/16/09
to tulsa...@googlegroups.com
Sorry seems I sent this reply to John and not the group.

Apr 16, 2009, 11:30:35 AM4/16/09
to tulsa...@googlegroups.com
And John replied to me. :-P

Apr 16, 2009, 1:17:17 PM4/16/09
to Tulsa Python
Steve's suggestion helped me move on, but I do need to point out that
for some reason the str and unicode would not work in the logging
stmt. I know it should, but it didn't. In the 'real' code I put a
simple log stmt right before this one and it worked and blew up on the
line in question. I have no doubt that the create_object would have
been a non-starter for the same reason, but it never got that far.