VDQI, EI, VE look - how to

MAT

Jul 4, 2009, 8:52:04 AM7/4/09
to tufte-latex
Hello, I'm not a LaTeX expert, all I do with it since now, were short
articles.
Now, I will write a longer piece of text. I found out tufte-latex
class/style - it looks nice, and I would like to use it.
But when I compile tex source, I got a text looks like in BE. I could
not use a \part tag here, because I receive an error.
I would like a style like in VDQI, mostly because of more detailed
contents (table of content), and because I prefer serif fonts.
What should I add, install or uncomment or so on to have such a view
(VDQI)?
I tried to read this group's articles, search the net - but I can't
find such an example or information how to. I can't find how to switch
to VDQI layout...

The second question is - is anyone tried to use this layout with b5
pages? it is suitable? As I think regarding the earlier post here, on
group I can set this page format by using \geometry tag. But I wolud
like to know if anyboby tried tufte latex with b5 pages together?

Best regards.

Magdalena

Kevin Godby

Jul 7, 2009, 9:40:09 PM7/7/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Magdalena.

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 7:52 AM, MAT<magdale...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm not a LaTeX expert, all I do with it since now, were short
> articles.
> Now, I will write a longer piece of text. I found out tufte-latex
> class/style - it looks nice, and I would like to use it.
> But when I compile tex source, I got a text looks like in BE. I could
> not use a \part tag here, because I receive an error.

The \part command should work, but there was a bug in the latest
released version of the code. I've fixed this bug since, but haven't
yet released a new version to CTAN. You can check out the latest code
at http://code.google.com/p/tufte-latex/source/checkout, if you'd
like.

> I would like a style like in VDQI, mostly because of more detailed
> contents (table of content), and because I prefer serif fonts.
> What should I add, install or uncomment or so on to have such a view
> (VDQI)?
> I tried to read this group's articles, search the net - but I can't
> find such an example or information how to. I can't find how to switch
> to VDQI layout...

Right now the styles follow BE. I would like to add code at some
point to handle the VDQI (and other book) styles, but haven't had time
yet.

I think most of the design elements and layouts are the same for VDQI
and BE. Glancing through my copy of VDQI, the differences that jump
out at me are:

* the title page
* the table of contents
* the section headings are bold
* the chapters are numbered
* there are two parts

I don't have time to address all of the details in each of these
issues, but some of the following code may help you get started on the
modifications you want. You can add these modifications to a file
named "tufte-book-local.tex" and drop the file into the same place as
your document's .tex file and it should get loaded automatically.

%%
% VDQI title page

\renewcommand{\maketitlepage}[0]{%
\cleardoublepage%
{%
\begin{fullwidth}%
\fontsize{24}{30}\selectfont\par\noindent\thanklessauthor%
\vspace{1.75in}%
\fontsize{36}{54}\selectfont\par\noindent\thanklesstitle%
%\vspace{0.5in}%
%\LARGE\par\noindent\theedition%
\vfill%
\fontsize{14}{16}\selectfont\par\noindent\thanklesspublisher%
\end{fullwidth}%
}
\thispagestyle{empty}%
\clearpage%
}

%%
% VDQI table of contents
% See the `titlesec' and `titletoc' documentation for details:
http://ctan.org/pkg/titlesec

\titlecontents{part}%
[0pt]% distance from left margin
{\addvspace{0.25\baselineskip}}% above (global formatting of entry)
{\allcaps{Part~\thecontentslabel}\allcaps}% before w/ label (label = ``I'')
{\allcaps{Part~\thecontentslabel}\allcaps}% before w/o label
{}% filler and page (leaders and page num)
[\vspace*{0.5\baselineskip}]% after

\titlecontents{chapter}%
[4em]% distance from left margin
{}% above (global formatting of entry)
{\contentslabel{2em}\textit}% before w/ label (label = ``1'')
{\hspace{0em}\textit}% before w/o label
{\qquad\thecontentspage}% filler and page (leaders and page num)
[\vspace*{0.5\baselineskip}]% after

% TODO: Add similar for section, subsection, etc. if desired

%%
% VDQI \section headings are bold, not italic
% See the `titlesec' and `titletoc' documentation for details:
http://ctan.org/pkg/titlesec

\titleformat{\section}%
[hang]% shape
{\normalfont\Large\bfseries}% format applied to label+text
{\thesection}% label
{1em}% horizontal separation between label and title body
{}% before the title body
[]% after the title body

%%
% VDQI chapters are numbered

\setcounter{secnumdepth}{2}

% TODO: Use \titleformat to adjust the \part style

%%
% Done!

\endinput

That should get you started, at least. If you run into snags or have
further questions, please feel free to ask. (Also, note that I have
not tested any of the above code -- I just copied and pasted it from
the tufte-common.sty file and modified it a bit.)

> The second question is - is anyone tried to use this layout with b5
> pages? it is suitable? As I think regarding the earlier post here, on
> group I can set this page format by using \geometry tag. But I wolud
> like to know if anyboby tried tufte latex with b5 pages together?

I'm not aware of anyone trying the layout with B5 paper. You should
be able to use the \geometry command to define the paper size and
adjust the margins and other page dimensions to your liking, though.

--Kevin

MAT

Jul 25, 2009, 3:22:57 PM7/25/09
to tufte-latex
Hello

Thank you for that information concerning VDQI, I will try it as soon
as possible.

> I'm not aware of anyone trying the layout with B5 paper.  You should
> be able to use the \geometry command to define the paper size and
> adjust the margins and other page dimensions to your liking, though.

For now I have tried to use \usepackage [b5paper] {geometry} in the
preamble, and I do not see any difference.
When I have tried to compile documents with tufte layout in LEd
(http://www.latexeditor.org/) it shows errors - I think that I have to
set up some paths in system environment.
When I have tried to change in project properties (in dvi settings)
page size to B5, the sidenotes are "cutted" out. :(
Maybe now I will findsome time to test how (if) \geometry and VQDI
works - according tips on this gruop.

Regards

Magdalena

MAT

Jul 25, 2009, 7:06:41 PM7/25/09
to tufte-latex
Hello.

I've just spend some time "playing" with code of VDQI proposed above,
and with \geometry tag.
The code, saved in separate file as Kevin suggested looks to be
"working" - main page and others looks different.

But I have some other questions:

A. I have a little problem - how can I force dividing/breaking the
title into separate lines? Stop to dividing a certain word?
When using \\ or \newline I have a title "cutted" in such a way in
runninghead.
When try to use \linebreak[x] to force linebreak I have an error
message (undefined command?)
When using \mbox{} it looks to be ignored within the title.
How to do that?

B. I have been trying to change page size to B5 (I have to write paper
in this format).
I have used such a commands:
1. in document tex file: \documentclass
[b5paper,twoside,symmetric,justified]{tufte-book}
2. I add the following code in tufte-common.sty:
line - about 63:
%%b5paper
%
\newboolean{@tufte@b5paper}
\DeclareOption{b5paper}{\setboolean{@tufte@b5paper}{true}}
and, under "Set page layout geometry" section
% 176mm x 250mm (6.9" by 9.8")
\ifthenelse{\boolean{@tufte@b5paper}}
{\geometry
{paperwidth=6.9in,paperheight=9.8in,left=18.0mm,top=13mm,headsep=2\baselineskip,textwidth=125.0mm,marginparsep=6.2mm,marginparwidth=40.4mm,textheight=38\baselineskip,headheight=
\baselineskip}}
{}

I have tried it on sample-book.tex file, and it looks that it just
"cuts" the page size. Nothing is rescaled or reformatted :(
I can send a produced (in such a way) sample-book.pdf file.

And now - am I doing something wrong with page sizes?

C. Is it possible to place separate bibliography index after each
chapter - or it is "uncompatibile" with tufte-layout idea ? ;)

Regards

Magdalena

Kevin Godby

Jul 25, 2009, 10:48:51 PM7/25/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Magdalena.

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 6:06 PM, MAT<magdale...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've just spend some time "playing" with code of VDQI proposed above,
> and with \geometry tag.
> The code, saved in separate file as Kevin suggested looks to be
> "working" - main page and others looks different.
>
> But I have some other questions:
>
> A. I have a little problem - how can I force dividing/breaking the
> title into separate lines? Stop to dividing a certain word?
> When using \\ or \newline I have a title "cutted" in such a way in
> runninghead.
> When try to use \linebreak[x] to force linebreak I have an error
> message (undefined command?)
> When using \mbox{} it looks to be ignored within the title.
> How to do that?

You should be able to use \\ to insert a line break in the title. The
line break will be replaced by a space in the running heads.

> B. I have been trying to change page size to B5 (I have to write paper
> in this format).
> I have used such a commands:
> 1. in document tex file: \documentclass
> [b5paper,twoside,symmetric,justified]{tufte-book}
> 2. I add the following code in tufte-common.sty:
> line - about 63:
> %%b5paper
> %
> \newboolean{@tufte@b5paper}
> \DeclareOption{b5paper}{\setboolean{@tufte@b5paper}{true}}
> and, under "Set page layout geometry" section
> % 176mm x 250mm (6.9" by 9.8")
> \ifthenelse{\boolean{@tufte@b5paper}}
>  {\geometry
> {paperwidth=6.9in,paperheight=9.8in,left=18.0mm,top=13mm,headsep=2\baselineskip,textwidth=125.0mm,marginparsep=6.2mm,marginparwidth=40.4mm,textheight=38\baselineskip,headheight=
> \baselineskip}}
>  {}
>
> I have tried it on sample-book.tex file, and it looks that it just
> "cuts" the page size. Nothing is rescaled or reformatted :(
> I can send a produced (in such a way) sample-book.pdf file.
>
> And now - am I doing something wrong with page sizes?

It looks like the margins you specified are off a little bit. The
attached PDF shows a diagram of your margins.

I would adjust the margins. Here are a couple options I whipped up --
free free to adjust them as you see fit.

% If you have only a few short sidenotes and captions
\geometry{paperwidth=176mm,paperheight=250mm,left=19.6mm,top=19.6mm,textwidth=117.33mm,marginparsep=9.8mm,marginparwidth=19.6mm,textheight=38\baselineskip,includehead}

% If you want more room for sidenotes and captions
\geometry{paperwidth=176mm,paperheight=250mm,left=14.66mm,top=13.88mm,textwidth=102.66mm,marginparsep=7.33mm,marginparwidth=36.66mm,textheight=38\baselineskip,includehead}

> C. Is it possible to place separate bibliography index after each
> chapter - or it is "uncompatibile" with tufte-layout idea ? ;)

Hmm.. good question. I haven't tried. With other document classes,
I've used the chapterbib package (http://ctan.org/pkg/chapterbib).

If you run into problems with the multiple bibliographies, please let
me know and I'll look into it.

--Kevin

mat-b5paper.pdf

MAT

Jul 26, 2009, 7:11:37 AM7/26/09
to tufte-latex
Hello.

> > A. I have a little problem - how can I force dividing/breaking the
> > title into separate lines? Stop to dividing a certain word?
> > When using \\ or \newline I have a title "cutted" in such a way in
> > runninghead.
//cut//
> You should be able to use \\ to insert a line break in the title.  The
> line break will be replaced by a space in the running heads.

For me it looks that it does not work.
I tried it yesterday, before writing post, but after your answer I
have tried again.
Just in sample-book I back to a4 format page, and add:

% Book metadata
\title{Exemplary title \\ which should \\ be broken into \\a few lines
\thanks{Thanks to Edward
//cut

The title is broken, but both on titlepage and in runningheads :(
Here is the result (sorry about link but I can't find where can I
attach a file for this post via www)

http://bioand.info/sample-bookRunninHeads.pdf

Thats all for now.
I'm going to "tune" margins (thanks for diagram, it shoul help me in
setting correct settings), and next - trying to make bibliografies
after each chapter.

Reagrds

Magdalena

MAT

Jul 26, 2009, 11:30:09 AM7/26/09
to tufte-latex
Hello again.

I just spend some time trying to set up tufte-latex.
What I know (or rather does not know):

I would like a VDQi "look".
I made a tufte-book-local.tex file and according your sugestion,
pasting a code from your earlier post.
After making some changes (in table of contents interlinear spaces)
it looks almost like I want ;)
Almost, because I want to set up page size to b5.
I made it using your margin sizes, and it looks almost good.
It looks that I almost desired b5 VDQI look, but there is something
wrong with sidenotes/margins (you can see it in pdf file on page 22)
and with table line (page16).
I have tried to change a \marginpush (according your diagram) from 10
to 20, but without success....

If you could see, all - I think necessary files are here:
http://bioand.info/tufte_book_layout/
This is zip file MAT-b5-VQDISamp.zip

The second thing I want was to be able to use a \part.
I downloaded source files from http://tufte-latex.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
as you write, and tried to make it suitable for my needs.
That's right that \part works fine in this version, but... it seems
that setting b5 geometry -like in previous versions (discussed above)
does not work :(
(I have read that you wrote that this is incompatibile, but with
report class).
Moreover, when I tried do add tufte-book-local.tex file to have a VDQI
"look" - there are errors during compilation:
===============
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \let \MT@letterspace@ \@undefined

l.1 ... something longer that usually}{11}{part.1}

?
! Use of \\MT@textls doesn't match its definition.
\@ifnch ...eserved@d \let \reserved@c \reserved@a
\else \let
\reserved@c \re...
l.1 ... something longer that usually}{11}{part.1}

?
! Use of \\MT@textls doesn't match its definition.
<argument> D

l.1 ... something longer that usually}{11}{part.1}

?
! Argument of \reserved@a has an extra }.
<inserted text>
\par
l.1 ... something longer that usually}{11}{part.1}

?
Runaway argument?
! Paragraph ended before \reserved@a was complete.
<to be read again>
\par
l.1 ... something longer that usually}{11}{part.1}

?
Runaway argument?
\edef 1 0 0{1 0 0}\unhbox \voidb@x \let \@@protect \protect \let
\protect \ETC.
! Paragraph ended before \@skipmath was complete.
<to be read again>
\par
l.1 ... something longer that usually}{11}{part.1}

?
! Missing } inserted.
<inserted text>
}

$
l.1 ... something longer that usually}{11}{part.1}

?
! Missing { inserted.
<to be read again>
$
l.1 ... something longer that usually}{11}{part.1}

?
)
Runaway preamble?
$\expandafter \egroup \fi \strut \kern \z@ }\fi {}\ifcase \@ne \relax
\ETC.
! File ended while scanning preamble of \valign.
<inserted text>
\cr }
l.188 \tableofcontents

?
================================
and, finally the TOC has not been created.

I have putted files into one zip file - MAT-b5-fromSVN.zip (location
on server as previous - see above).
In this archive a file tufte-book-local.tex has a temporarily changed
name to tufte-book-local1.tex to make compilation possible.

I will be grateful for any further hints

Regards

Magdalena

Kevin Godby

Jul 31, 2009, 6:05:05 PM7/31/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Magdalena.

I've added the b5paper option to the code in SVN. If you grab the
latest code (http://code.google.com/p/tufte-latex/source/checkout),
then you can drop in the tufte-book-local.tex file you made, it should
compile okay. (If it doesn't, let me know -- it worked okay for me.)

Also, if we need to adjust the margins for the B5 paper, I'm open to
suggestions.

With the sample book, some one of the tables is wider than the main
text block, so it pushes the caption over bit. To avoid this in your
work, you can use the table* environment instead. This allows the
table to take up the full width of the page and moves the caption
above or below the table.

Oh, I also fixed the problem with breaking long titles across multiple
lines. Use \\ to insert line breaks. (This originally worked fine
for the handout, but I have some code in the book that overrode the
special line-break handling, so I've corrected that.)

If you encounter further problems or have any more questions, please
feel free to ask.

Thanks!

--Kevin

MAT

Aug 4, 2009, 10:36:01 AM8/4/09
to tufte-latex
Hello.

I have downloaded code from svn, and the newlinetospace works fine
there. :)

I do not check the margns yet, because when testing code from svn I
automatically got a BI look...and I started to look how to reach VDQI
look.

Tried to use tufte-book-local.tex file, fonts has been changing to
serif fonts, but now I have a one-level Table of contents :(
If there is no tufte-book-local file I have a BI look - but it is not
what I want.

So, for now, I have either VDQI look style, with three-level table of
contents - but with cutted runninghead OR (with code from svn)
properly formatted runninghead, but one-lebel table of contents.

How can I add more levels (up to three let's say), so I have - as a
result VDQI look style (serif fonts), with properly formatted
runninghead and with three-level table of contents?

I tried to move some code from svn def file (1080-1098 and 1121-1126
lines) concerning newlinetospace to "old" sty file, but there must be
somethung else than two pieces of code, because it (runninghead)is not
formatted properly after such "exchange" :(

Regards

Magdalena

Kevin Godby

Aug 4, 2009, 2:57:09 PM8/4/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:36 AM, MAT<magdale...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have downloaded code from svn, and the newlinetospace works fine
> there. :)

Great!

> I do not check the margns yet, because when testing code from svn I
> automatically got a BI look...and I started to look how to reach VDQI
> look.
>
> Tried to use tufte-book-local.tex file, fonts has been changing to
> serif fonts, but now I have a one-level Table of contents :(
> If there is no tufte-book-local file I have a BI look - but it is not
> what I want.
>
> So, for now, I have either VDQI look style, with three-level table of
> contents - but with cutted runninghead OR (with code from svn)
> properly formatted runninghead, but one-lebel table of contents.
>
> How can I add more levels (up to three let's say), so I have - as a
> result VDQI look style (serif fonts), with properly formatted
> runninghead and with three-level table of contents?
>
> I tried to move some code from svn def file (1080-1098 and 1121-1126
> lines) concerning newlinetospace to "old" sty file, but there must be
> somethung else than two pieces of code, because it (runninghead)is not
> formatted properly after such "exchange" :(

To show more levels in the table of contents, use the following command:

\setcounter{tocdepth}{2}

You can adjust the value (2) to a different number to show more or
fewer levels in the table of contents.

--Kevin

MAT

Aug 5, 2009, 4:09:37 PM8/5/09
to tufte-latex
Hi again.

Thank you very much :) I have more than one level in TOC. :D

I will be grateful for subsequent hint - what command(s) to change
(which line?) to get TOC like this (formatted in such a way):
============
Chapter 1 ...........................Page number
Section 1.1 ......................Page number
===========
which I had got using your previous code (afer creating tufte-book-
local.tex file) instead
===========
Chapter 1 Page number
section Page number
===========
which is now - with code from SVN

I tried to compare in codes from (tuned myself with interlines and
margins) tufte-book-local.tex:
\titlecontents{chapter}%
[3em]% distance from left margin
{\addvspace{0.65\baselineskip}}% above (global formatting of
entry)
{\contentslabel{2em}\textit}% before w/ label (label = ``1'')
{\hspace{0em}\textit}% before w/o label
{\qquad\thecontentspage}% filler and page (leaders and page num)
[\vspace*{0.15\baselineskip}]% after

with this one

\titlecontents{chapter}%
[5em] % distance from left margin
{\vspace{0.6\baselineskip}\begin{fullwidth}\LARGE\rmfamily
\itshape} % above (global formatting of entry)
{\hspace*{0em}\contentslabel{2em}} % before w/label (label =
``2'')
{\hspace*{3em}} % before w/o label
{\rmfamily\upshape\qquad\thecontentspage} % filler + page (leaders
and page num)
[\end{fullwidth}] % after

from tufte-common.def, but as I think, here I can set interlines and
"margins". Can not guess how to make "dots" to - fill and - in a some
way - align TOC to both left and right.
I think that it has to be a command/s in other place of code which I
cannot guess for now (it is easier is to ask - I think).

Regards

Magdalena

On 4 Sie, 20:57, Kevin Godby <god...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> --Kevin- Ukryj cytowany tekst -
>
> - Pokaż cytowany tekst -

MAT

Aug 6, 2009, 3:41:04 PM8/6/09
to tufte-latex
Hello

I tried to change some options regarding TOC formatting, but without
success :(

The next thing I noticed using a code from svn is, that chapter's
fonts are smaller in TOC than section.
In code I saw that ther is a huge, large and Large definition, but if
I change something here (for Huge for example) I do not see any
changes :(

I just prepared MWE (minimal working examples) which should help to
understand what I mean (previous post is still valid, but by examples
it is easier to see what is the difference).

Zip files are here http://www.bioand.info/tufte_book_layout/
The olderVer.zip is the version where I have nice (and desirable for
me, so somehow customized) TOC, but \newlinetospace in the title does
not work.
The from SVN.zip contains files from svn, with working
\newlinetospace, but with the same tex source file as previous, TOC is
"strangly" formatted when setting up more than one level.

I would like with which parameters should I experiment to change TOC
settings.

Regards

Magdalena

Kevin Godby

Aug 8, 2009, 4:42:12 AM8/8/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Magdalena.

The multiline title is (I believe) fixed in the svn code now, so we
shouldn't need to do anything special there.

Now for the formatting of the table of contents:

I don't recall if I mentioned it previously, but you might try using
the 'notoc' document class option to see if the default LaTeX format
of the table of contents is to your liking. Use the attached
tufte-book-local.tex file and try it like this:

\documentclass[b5paper,twoside,justified,notoc]{tufte-book}

If you like that style of contents, then you don't have to do any more work.

If you still want to play with the format of the table of contents,
you'll need to use the \titlecontents command in the
tufte-book-local.tex file.

To put the leaders (the string of . . . .) in your contents, I've
added the command \tocdotfill to the attached tufte-book-local.tex
file. Use it in the second-to-last argument of the \titleformat
command (as I did in the chapter example).

I'm not sure if I've addressed all of your questions. If I've missed
any, please ask again.

Thanks!

--Kevin

tufte-book-local.tex

MAT

Aug 9, 2009, 2:20:10 PM8/9/09
to tufte-latex
Hi again.

> The multiline title is (I believe) fixed in the svn code now, so we
> shouldn't need to do anything special there.

Yes, this is OK.

> but you might try using
> the 'notoc' document class option to see if the default LaTeX format
> of the table of contents is to your liking. Use the attached
> tufte-book-local.tex file and try it like this:
\\cut
> If you still want to play with the format of the table of contents,
> you'll need to use the \titlecontents command in the
> tufte-book-local.tex file.

I have tried both option - notoc "switch", and customization of tufte-
book-local.tex file.
Both solutions are acceptable for me - looks qiute well.
I played a little with customization of tufte-book-local.tex and the
only disadvantage I noticed is, that when the chapter's name is a
little longer than one line (a few characters - but I does not know in
details what are conditions for that behaviour) it is formatted like
that:

2 Exemplary chapter which has a long title
15

that means that only page number is in the next line, aligned to left.

Surprisingly - if chapter's name are longer - there are "dots filling"
between chapter's name and page number, and page number is aligned to
right. Lookk somehow like:

2 Exemplary chapter which is longer than
previous
title..........................................................15

I think that will be the same with rest of toc parts.

It forced me to consider chapter's name :), and eventually - to change
font sizes.
It is worth to consider that "shorter is better" - so I have an
advantage, but you may want to know about such code behaviour.

> To put the leaders (the string of . . . .) in your contents, I've
> added the command \tocdotfill to the attached tufte-book-local.tex
> file. Use it in the second-to-last argument of the \titleformat
> command (as I did in the chapter example).

Yes, that was what I need :)
I copied it for myself for section and subsection formatting, and
tuned-out TOC look.

Thank you very much.

If there will be something else during my work with tufte-book layout
- I will ask again.
For now it looks that all work as I want.

Regards

Magdalena

Kevin Godby

Aug 9, 2009, 8:50:12 PM8/9/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Greetings.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM, MAT<magdale...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The multiline title is (I believe) fixed in the svn code now, so we
>> shouldn't need to do anything special there.
>
> Yes, this is OK.

Great!

> I have tried both option - notoc "switch", and customization of tufte-
> book-local.tex file.
> Both solutions are acceptable for me - looks qiute well.
> I played a little with customization of tufte-book-local.tex and the
> only disadvantage I noticed is, that when the chapter's name is a
> little longer than one line (a few characters - but I does not know in
> details what are conditions for that behaviour) it is formatted like
> that:
>
> 2   Exemplary chapter which has a long title
> 15
>
> that means that only page number is in the next line, aligned to left.
>
> Surprisingly - if chapter's name are longer - there are "dots filling"
> between chapter's name and page number, and page number is aligned to
> right. Lookk somehow like:
>
> 2   Exemplary chapter which is longer than
> previous
> title..........................................................15
>
> I think that will be the same with rest of toc parts.
>

> It forced me to consider chapter's name :), and eventually - to change
> font sizes.
> It is worth to consider that "shorter is better" - so I have an
> advantage, but you may want to know about such code behaviour.

Thanks for reporting this. I'll look into it some more.

>> To put the leaders (the string of . . . .) in your contents, I've
>> added the command \tocdotfill to the attached tufte-book-local.tex
>> file.  Use it in the second-to-last argument of the \titleformat
>> command (as I did in the chapter example).
>
> Yes, that was what I need :)
> I copied it for myself for section and subsection formatting, and
> tuned-out TOC look.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> If there will be something else during my work with tufte-book layout
> - I will ask again.
> For now it looks that all work as I want.

I'm glad to hear it.

--Kevin

MAT

Aug 14, 2009, 4:28:50 AM8/14/09
to tufte-latex
Hello.

I've noticed another issue - I thought that I can use \part{something}
in the code.
In both cases, with the code from svn (with or without tufte-book-
local) when I add \part{}, during compilation I recieved
//cut------------------
LaTeX Warning: Marginpar on page 9 moved.

[9] [10]
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> \@xxivpt

l.214 \part{About}

?
---------------------

You should be able to reconstruct this behaviour by adding in sample-
book.tex file a \part{something} (If not - I zip and share all files
used - as previous).
I added this line just after \mainmatter, or after \chapter{The Design
of Tufte's Books}

\label{ch:tufte-design} - effect is generally the same.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards

Magdalena

Kevin Godby

Aug 14, 2009, 4:54:42 AM8/14/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Magdalena.

I'm not seeing this behaviour on my end. Make sure you're using the
svn version. In a previous released version I had an errant \@xxivpt
command in there when I defined \Huge (which is used in designing the
\part page). I'm guessing you have an old copy of tufte-common.sty
lying about. The version in svn has replaced this file with
tufte-common.def.

--Kevin

MAT

Aug 17, 2009, 1:29:30 PM8/17/09
to tufte-latex
Hi.

You're right - I've downloaded again code from svn and as "pure" from
svn works fine ;)
Pure means that I made copy of sample-book, rename, inserted \part and
compile)
So, It is possible that I have an older copy of any of layout files.
This is a good news.

Tha bad one is that when I added "worked-out" (thanks to you) tufte-
book-local.tex (code below) with my customized formatting - it fails :
(
================
(sample-bookMT.toc
! Undefined control sequence.
\find@pdflink ...ode \protected@edef \Hy@testname
{#2}\ifx
\Hy@testname \@em...
l.1 ... {part}{I\hspace {1em}new part}{15}{part.1}

?
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> ...meFilter \expandafter {\Hy@testname
}

<argument> \Hy@testname

l.1 ... {part}{I\hspace {1em}new part}{15}{part.1}

?
----
and more....
====================================

tufte-book-local file code:
===============
%%
% VDQI title page

\renewcommand{\maketitlepage}[0]{%
\cleardoublepage%
{%
\begin{fullwidth}%
\fontsize{20}{26}\selectfont\par\noindent\thanklessauthor%
\vspace{1.45in}%
\noindent\fontsize{32}{50}\selectfont\par\noindent\thanklesstitle%
%\vspace{0.5in}%
%\LARGE\par\noindent\theedition%
\vfill%
\fontsize{14}{16}\selectfont\par\noindent\thanklesspublisher%
\end{fullwidth}%
}
\thispagestyle{empty}%
\clearpage%
}

%%
% Dot leaders for the TOC

\newcommand*{\tocdotfill}{%
\leaders\hbox{$\m@th%
\mkern \@dotsep mu\hbox{.}\mkern \@dotsep mu$}\hfill%
\nobreak%
}

%%
% VDQI table of contents
% See the `titlesec' and `titletoc' documentation for details:
http://ctan.org/pkg/titlesec

\ifthenelse{\boolean{@tufte@toc}}{%
\titlecontents{part}%
[10em]% distance from left margin
{\addvspace{0.4\baselineskip}\LARGE}% above (global formatting of
entry)
{\allcaps{Part~\thecontentslabel}\allcaps}% before w/ label (label
= ``I'')
{\allcaps{Part~\thecontentslabel}\allcaps}% before w/o label
{}% filler and page (leaders and page num)
[\vspace*{0.5\baselineskip}]% after

\titlecontents{chapter}%
[2em]% distance from left margin
{\addvspace{0.75\baselineskip}\LARGE}% above (global formatting of
entry)
{\contentslabel{2em}\textit}% before w/ label (label = ``1'')
{\hspace{0em}\textit}% before w/o label
{\tocdotfill\thecontentspage}% filler and page (leaders and page
num)
[\vspace*{0.1\baselineskip}]% after

\titlecontents{section}%
[4.5em]% distance from left margin
{\addvspace{0.1\baselineskip}\Large}% above (global formatting of
entry)
{\contentslabel{2em}}% before w/ label (label = ``1'')
{\hspace{0em}}% before w/o label
{\tocdotfill\thecontentspage}% filler and page (leaders and page
num)
[\vspace*{0.05\baselineskip}]% after

\titlecontents{subsection}%
[5.5em]% distance from left margin
{\addvspace{0.1\baselineskip}\large}% above (global formatting of
entry)
{\contentslabel{2.8em}\textit}% before w/ label (label = ``1'')
{\hspace{0em}\textit}% before w/o label
{\tocdotfill\thecontentspage}% filler and page (leaders and page
num)
[\vspace*{0.05\baselineskip}]% after
}{}

% TODO: Add similar for section, subsection, etc. if desired

%%
% VDQI \section headings are bold, not italic
% See the `titlesec' and `titletoc' documentation for details:
http://ctan.org/pkg/titlesec

\titleformat{\section}%
[hang]% shape
{\normalfont\Large\bfseries}% format applied to label+text
{\thesection}% label
{1em}% horizontal separation between label and title body
{}% before the title body
[]% after the title body

%%
% VDQI chapters are numbered

\setcounter{secnumdepth}{2}

%%
% Show more levels in the TOC

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}

% TODO: Use \titleformat to adjust the \part style
%%
% Done!

\endinput
=======================
Regards

Magdalena

Kevin Godby

Aug 22, 2009, 7:15:14 AM8/22/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Magdalena.

I'm still looking into the root cause and best solution for this
issue. As a partial workaround, you can replace the \allcaps command
in the \titlecontents{part} section with \uppercase and your document
should compile. The letterspacing won't be quite right, but it will
be set in uppercase.

I will continue to poke around in the code to figure out how to better
workaround the problem. (It looks like hyperref is irked for some
reason; it's so persnickety.) I will post again when I've found a
better solution.

--Kevin

MAT

Aug 22, 2009, 7:15:05 PM8/22/09
to tufte-latex
Hi.

Ok, I will lok here from time to time.
For now I will try your workaround - proposed above.

I noticed that I had problems with URL's and hyperref - \href.
Just used \url and compilation works, so I do not pay any more
attention on it.

Another question:
Did you tried use a eps or ps graphics with your style? I used to do
it in my earlier TeX documents, but with tufte-latex I have to have
either jpg or png or pdf.
I can no use ps and eps with tufte-latex - they are not included in
the document...
I thought that the package graphicx is "responsible" for that - it is
in tufte-latex, but here it looks it does not work.
Because I decided that the fastest way to workaround this, is to
convert my graphic files to acceptable formats, I do not spend much
time on attempts in solving that - force reading ps/eps, but I wonder
if you can insert ps/eps graphics files?

Regards

Magdalena

Kevin Godby

Aug 22, 2009, 7:38:07 PM8/22/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 6:15 PM, MAT<magdale...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Ok, I will lok here from time to time.
> For now I will try your workaround - proposed above.
>
> I noticed that I had problems with URL's and hyperref - \href.
> Just used \url and compilation works, so I do not pay any more
> attention on it.

\href works okay for me. Can you give me an example that demonstrates
the problem?

> Another question:
> Did you tried use a eps or ps graphics with your style? I used to do
> it in my earlier TeX documents, but with tufte-latex I have to have
> either jpg or png or pdf.
> I can no use ps and eps with tufte-latex - they are not included in
> the document...
> I thought that the package graphicx is "responsible" for that - it is
> in tufte-latex, but here it looks it does not work.
> Because I decided that the fastest way to workaround this, is to
> convert my graphic files to acceptable formats, I do not spend much
> time on attempts in solving that - force reading ps/eps, but I wonder
> if you can insert ps/eps graphics files?

The types of graphics you can use depends on which engine you use to
compile your document. If you use pdflatex, then you can only use
pdf, png, and jpg graphics. (There may be a couple other types that I
missed.) If you use the latex, then you can only use ps and eps
graphics.

If all of your graphics are ps/eps files and you don't require any of
pdfLaTeX's special abilities, then you can just compile your document
with latex.

If you do want to use pdflatex, then you might look at the epstopdf
package (http://ctan.org/pkg/epstopdf-pkg) which will automatically
detect your .eps files and convert them on-the-fly to pdf files so
they can be used.

--Kevin

MAT

Aug 25, 2009, 10:49:36 AM8/25/09
to tufte-latex
Hello again.

On 23 Sie, 01:38, Kevin Godby <god...@gmail.com> wrote:

> \href works okay for me.  Can you give me an example that demonstrates
> the problem?
Checked out - earlier I did something wrong - now it looks to be OK,
except that, that the links are invisible in text ;)

Thank you for explanation with graphics files. In a meanwhile I try to
test software converting graphics in-the-fly.

In the mean time I noticed another inconviniences:
1. I used an option "justified" in document class option. All is ok
except List of figures, they looks awful :( because in the list
captions are justified too...
Tried to modify listoffigures adding \begin{flushleft}...\end
{flushleft} in format settings - does not work. Tried to ''close" a
\caption in figures in
\begin{flushleft}
\caption{}
\end{flushleft}
but without success.

2. when I'm using a bibliography for electronic resources, as belowit
is placed on the margin of the page, but
it is not listed in Bibliography section.

I also noticed a inconvinence with placing \cite{ } in the figure
caption, when bibliographic entry is for electronic source - contain
entire url (e.g. website screendumps) - some different characters/
string appear:
Copied from pdf
Figure 2.8: List of ENTREZ
databases. Source:
a0pt]Entrez structure and
database connection, b. URL
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.
gov/Database/datamodel/
index.html

I have that effect with:

\begin{figure}
\includegraphics{EntrezDatabases.png}
% \checkparity This is an \pageparity\ page.%
\caption{List of ENTREZ databases. Source: \cite{entrezdbconn}}
\label{fig:entrezdb}
%\zsavepos{pos:textfig}
\end{figure}

in document, and with bib file entry:

@ELECTRONIC{entrezdbconn,
title = {Entrez structure and database connection},
url = {http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Database/datamodel/index.html},
owner = {MAT},
timestamp = {2009.08.18}
}

Do you know what is happen here?

I tried a workaround with \part - document is compiling (Thanks!), but
some letter looks strange. In a meanwhile I will try to make letter
interspacing wider... may be it will help.

Regards

Magdalena

Dan T. Abell

Aug 25, 2009, 1:04:52 PM8/25/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com

On 25 Aug 2009, at 08:49, MAT wrote:

> Hello again.
>
> On 23 Sie, 01:38, Kevin Godby <god...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> \href works okay for me. Can you give me an example that
>> demonstrates
>> the problem?
> Checked out - earlier I did something wrong - now it looks to be OK,
> except that, that the links are invisible in text ;)

Do the links work? If so, this may be just an issue of color choice.
The standard link colors are really bright---and distracting---so
the tufte-latex uses DarkBlue and DarkGreen. But the DarkBlue can
be hard to see. You might try changing linkcolor to DarkRed.

> Thank you for explanation with graphics files. In a meanwhile I try to
> test software converting graphics in-the-fly.
>
> In the mean time I noticed another inconviniences:
> 1. I used an option "justified" in document class option. All is ok
> except List of figures, they looks awful :( because in the list
> captions are justified too...
> Tried to modify listoffigures adding \begin{flushleft}...\end
> {flushleft} in format settings - does not work. Tried to ''close" a
> \caption in figures in
> \begin{flushleft}
> \caption{}
> \end{flushleft}
> but without success.

The latest version in the svn repo fixes this bug.

--
Dan T. Abell :: dabell at txcorp dot com :: 303.444.2452
Tech-X Corp., 5621 Arapahoe Ave, Ste A, Boulder CO 80303

MAT

Aug 25, 2009, 2:31:23 PM8/25/09
to tufte-latex
Thanks for your answers.

The next unconvinience apperas, :( so I'm a next one who will be
asking about the same as in JDO in thread"how to enable normal cite
behavior? " although I'm not connecting this post to that thread - if
necesarry I always can post a copy...

I just downloaded a citation in bibtex format from PubMed, for
example:
========
@ARTICLE{Oligo-via-PCR,
author = {Qin, Li-Xuan and Beyer, Richard and Hudson, Francesca and
Linford,
Nancy and Morris, Daryl and Kerr, Kathleen},
title = {Evaluation of methods for oligonucleotide array data via
quantitative
real-time PCR},
journal = {BMC Bioinformatics},
year = {2006},
volume = {7},
pages = {23},
number = {1},
abstract = {BACKGROUND:There are currently many different methods
for processing
and summarizing probe-level data from Affymetrix oligonucleotide
arrays. It is of great interest to validate these methods and
identify
those that are most effective. There is no single best way to do
this validation, and a variety of approaches is needed. Moreover,
gene expression data are collected to answer a variety of scientific
questions, and the same method may not be best for all questions.
Only a handful of validation studies have been done so far, most
of which rely on spike-in datasets and focus on the question of
detecting
differential expression. Here we seek methods that excel at
estimating
relative expression. We evaluate methods by identifying those that
give the strongest linear association between expression measurements
by array and the "gold-standard" assay.Quantitative reverse-
transcription
polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR) is generally considered the "gold-
standard"
assay for measuring gene expression by biologists and is often used
to confirm findings from microarray data. Here we use qRT-PCR
measurements
to validate methods for the components of processing oligo array
data: background adjustment, normalization, mismatch adjustment,
and probeset summary. An advantage of our approach over spike-in
studies is that methods are validated on a real dataset that was
collected to address a scientific question.RESULTS:We initially
identify
three of six popular methods that consistently produced the best
agreement between oligo array and RT-PCR data for medium- and high-
intensity
genes. The three methods are generally known as MAS5, gcRMA, and
the dChip mismatch mode. For medium- and high-intensity genes, we
identified use of data from mismatch probes (as in MAS5 and dChip
mismatch) and a sequence-based method of background adjustment (as
in gcRMA) as the most important factors in methods' performances.
However, we found poor reliability for methods using mismatch probes
for low-intensity genes, which is in agreement with previous
studies.CONCLUSION:We
advocate use of sequence-based background adjustment in lieu of
mismatch
adjustment to achieve the best results across the intensity spectrum.
No method of normalization or probeset summary showed any consistent
advantages.},
doi = {10.1186/1471-2105-7-23},
issn = {1471-2105},
owner = {MAT},
pubmedid = {16417622},
timestamp = {2009.08.25},
url = {http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/7/23}
}
==============
And when I have to cite 5-6 articles (sometimes more) in tufte-style
way they exceed page margin and sometimes a few last - are "cutted".
I think you can reconstruct this bahaviour citing above entry a few
times on one page. If necessary I can share my code.

The similar problem appears when there are a few margin figures with
citation on one page.
Sometimes a citation is such long, that overlaps with a caption of
figure inserted below on the same page.

May be a temporary solution will be to place on the margin only a
shortened version of authors (if string of author>30chars) only string
to first space+et. al - but I do not know if it is possible in TeX...
The second solution is revert to normal citation format, only with
numbers, or author-year format in text, and numbered/alphabetically
ordered list in bibliography, as I saw in Kevin's post it will take a
while.

> The latest version in the svn repo fixes this bug.
OK, I will check it out.
Thanks.

Magdalena

MAT

Aug 25, 2009, 2:52:02 PM8/25/09
to tufte-latex
Hello again

> > Checked out - earlier I did something wrong - now it looks to be OK,
> > except that, that the links are invisible in text ;)
>
> Do the links work? If so, this may be just an issue of color choice.
> The standard link colors are really bright---and distracting---so
> the tufte-latex uses DarkBlue and DarkGreen. But the DarkBlue can
> be hard to see. You might try changing linkcolor to DarkRed.
I have no color at all, so links are not visible - which keyword and
in which file should I look for?

> The latest version in the svn repo fixes this bug.
Checked out - works OK.

Regards

Magdalena

Dan T. Abell

Aug 25, 2009, 4:03:40 PM8/25/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hello Magdelena,

On 25 Aug 2009, at 12:52, MAT wrote:

> Hello again
>
>>> Checked out - earlier I did something wrong - now it looks to be OK,
>>> except that, that the links are invisible in text ;)
>>
>> Do the links work? If so, this may be just an issue of color choice.
>> The standard link colors are really bright---and distracting---so
>> the tufte-latex uses DarkBlue and DarkGreen. But the DarkBlue can
>> be hard to see. You might try changing linkcolor to DarkRed.
> I have no color at all, so links are not visible - which keyword and
> in which file should I look for?

Do you have an \url{...} in your document?
Does clicking on it do anything?
If yes, then search for 'linkcolor' in tufte-common.def,
and modify as desired.
If no, then how are you compiling your document? If you're
not using pdflatex, then I think the hyperref package needs
to be loaded with the option 'dvipdfm'. If this works, let
us know so we can modify the loading of hyperref accordingly.

>> The latest version in the svn repo fixes this bug.
> Checked out - works OK.

great!

Cheers,
-Dan

Kevin Godby

Aug 25, 2009, 5:15:49 PM8/25/09
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 1:52 PM, MAT<magdale...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello again
>
>> > Checked out - earlier I did something wrong - now it looks to be OK,
>> > except that, that the links are invisible in text ;)
>>
>> Do the links work? If so, this may be just an issue of color choice.
>> The standard link colors are really bright---and distracting---so
>> the tufte-latex uses DarkBlue and DarkGreen. But the DarkBlue can
>> be hard to see. You might try changing linkcolor to DarkRed.
> I have no color at all, so links are not visible - which keyword and
> in which file should I look for?

The color links aren't enabled by default (as they typically appear
grey when printed in black and white). To enabled the color links,
add the following line to the preamble of your document:

\hypersetup{colorlinks}

--Kevin

Guillaume Belanger

Apr 13, 2019, 2:47:56 PM4/13/19
to tufte-latex
Hi Kevin,

I just created an issue on GitHub tufte-latex because there weren't any dealing with this topic. But I just now found this answer which basically hacks the standard BE look to get the VDQI look. I also see that it's from 2009, hence 10 years ago, and in it you mention that you would like to include the VDQI option in the book class. Do you still have the intention of doing this, or should I just use the hack and put that code at the top of my latex file?

Thanks
Guillaume