Binding offset, experiences

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

Mar 30, 2015, 11:02:34 AM3/30/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

What experience do you guys have with printing? I'm doing my thesis and i'm worrying about the printing. Is the margins set as default in Tufte large enough?

Kevin Godby

Mar 30, 2015, 4:57:35 PM3/30/15
to tufte-latex
Hello, Carl-Henrik.
I've only printed books of about 150 pages in length (printed on both
sides of the page) using perfect binding, but I haven't encountered
any problems with the margins.

—Kevin

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

Mar 31, 2015, 12:50:24 PM3/31/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for answering. Your advice would hence be to relax and just print it?

But what if the need arises? How do one set the binding offset?

Kevin Godby

Mar 31, 2015, 1:10:48 PM3/31/15
to tufte-latex
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Carl-Henrik Buschmann
<chbus...@me.com> wrote:
> Thank you for answering. Your advice would hence be to relax and just print
> it?

How many pages (and how heavy is the paper) and what kind of binding
do you expect to use?

> But what if the need arises? How do one set the binding offset?

Well, there appears to be a bug in the geometry package in using the
binding offset alongside the asymmetric option. See
<http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/204098/80> for a discussion on that.

You can increase the margins if you need to using the \geometry macro
from the geometry package. (Tufte-LaTeX already loads the geometry
package, so you don't need to do that again.)

—Kevin

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

Mar 31, 2015, 1:12:56 PM3/31/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
I expect a place between 150-200 pages, A4 or A5. All other options are open for suggestions.

Don BR

Apr 1, 2015, 3:46:17 AM4/1/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carl,

I did my thesis, about 300 pages, with Tufte-Latex. When printing I found that A5 was too small for the margin pictures so I went with a slightly bigger size (19x26cm).

I have also played with the margins making them a little bit larger. That's how I did it:

1) In tufte-common.def find
%%
% Set page layout geometry

2) I then changed the first \ifthenelse to the one below:

%\ifthenelse{\boolean{@tufte@afourpaper}}
%  {\geometry{a4paper,left=24.8mm,top=27.4mm,headsep=2\baselineskip,textwidth=107mm,marginparsep=8.2mm,marginparwidth=49.4mm,textheight=49\baselineskip,headheight=\baselineskip}}
%  {}

\ifthenelse{\boolean{@tufte@afourpaper}}
  {\geometry{a4paper,left=20.0mm,top=27.4mm,headsep=2\baselineskip,textwidth=107mm,marginparsep=8.2mm,marginparwidth=59.2mm,textheight=49\baselineskip,headheight=\baselineskip}}
  {}

I hope this will help.

Kind regards,

Rodrigo.