TeXLive 2015 breaks tufte-latex

Kirk Lowery

Jun 14, 2015, 11:09:14 AM6/14/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
I just upgraded to the latest and greatest from TeXLive. And immediately, all my tufte-latex files broke. Old bidi and \cite bugs reappeared.

It turns out that TeXLive 2015 uses tufte-latex 3.5.0. The workaround is to download 3.5.2 from github, put it in .../texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/local/tufte-latex and register it with mktexlr.

All my tufte-latex files compile again. :-)

Kevin: any chance of getting tufte-latex updated? It may be enough just to update it on CTAN. The version there is 3.5.0.

Best wishes,

Kirk

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

Jun 21, 2015, 5:57:40 AM6/21/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I downloaded the update as well, and now my thesis file wont complie. Bummer. This workaround, i'm not familiar with mktexlr. Please enlighten me.

Kirk Lowery

Jun 21, 2015, 11:07:31 AM6/21/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Greetings!

The program mktexlr comes with TeXLive. It's purpose is to make a "database" of all files present in all TeX directories, so that xelatex, pdflatex, and friends can find files needed to compile a document. On a linux system one should be root (or "sudo mktexlr") to run the program. The 'local" texmf directory will probably be different on OSX or Windows. I don't run those platforms with TeX so I'm not as familiar with the file directory structure. But one needs to run mktexlr to "register" the latest version of tufte-latex that one downloaded and installed.

You can tell what version of tufte-latex that is used by looking at the top of the document .log file.

Hope this helps,

Kirk

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 5:57 AM Carl-Henrik Buschmann <chbus...@me.com> wrote:
Hi,

I downloaded the update as well, and now my thesis file wont complie. Bummer. This workaround, i'm not familiar with mktexlr. Please enlighten me.

Blessings,
Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
President & Senior Research Fellow

Jeffrey Goldberg

Jun 21, 2015, 1:58:26 PM6/21/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-06-14, at 10:09 AM, Kirk Lowery <Empirical...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kevin: any chance of getting tufte-latex updated? It may be enough just to update it on CTAN. The version there is 3.5.0.

I’ve asked about this on comp.text.tex and was told by CTAN people that they need the maintainer to submit it. CTAN itself will not seek out updates. So a Tufte-LaTeX maintainer needs to do this.

I asked on this list a while back

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tufte-latex/w0uK_zKPqOw/ofTRhycrLAsJ

But to repeat, all that needs to be done is follow the (simple) instructions in

http://www.ctan.org/upload

Cheers,

-j

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

Jun 21, 2015, 2:57:05 PM6/21/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Thank you! Unfortunatly i'm running OS X, and there is no mktexlr as far as i can see. I did however find the place where it all was stored: /usr/local/texlive. I copied the new files from git into the tufte related folders. Any guess in how to make tex live see this and make me complile my thesis again?

Hamish Harvey

Jun 21, 2015, 3:04:42 PM6/21/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Might be wrong, but I think it might actually be called mktexlsr.

Hamish

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Carl-Henrik Buschmann <chbus...@me.com> wrote:
Thank you! Unfortunatly i'm running OS X, and there is no mktexlr as far as i can see. I did however find the place where it all was stored: /usr/local/texlive. I copied the new files from git into the tufte related folders. Any guess in how to make tex live see this and make me complile my thesis again?

Hamish (David) Harvey
ham...@obvis.com
+44 7976 613517
twitter.com/hamishharvey

Bill Harvey Associates Limited
http://www.billharveyassociates.com/
Registered address: Gairloch, Hensleigh Drive, Exeter, EX2 4NZ
Registered in England and Wales, no 04550257

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

Jun 21, 2015, 3:08:23 PM6/21/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
This is the error i get:

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

Jun 21, 2015, 3:11:13 PM6/21/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com, ham...@hamishharvey.com
Yes, my google-fu informed me of this, but thank you. Not that it mattered, I still get a error.

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

Jun 21, 2015, 3:27:47 PM6/21/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com, ham...@hamishharvey.com
I found a workaround in OS X.

The TexLive utility has the option to use the 2014 distribution under Configure-Reconfigure Distribution... This enabled me to complie my project again. Huzza.

Kevin Godby

Jun 21, 2015, 4:26:04 PM6/21/15
to tufte-latex
Hi, Kirk and others.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 10:09 AM, Kirk Lowery
<Empirical...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin: any chance of getting tufte-latex updated? It may be enough just to
> update it on CTAN. The version there is 3.5.0.

Yes. I'll work on that this week. It looks like my release script
needs to be updated since migrating to git. And I think they may have
changed the desired format of the zip file, too. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the reminder!

—Kevin

Kevin Godby

Jun 21, 2015, 5:53:23 PM6/21/15
to tufte-latex
Hello, everyone.

I've uploaded Tufte-LaTeX v3.5.2 to CTAN. It will probably take a
couple of days to become available, however.

This release just contains the small bug fixes and updates that have
been sitting in the source code repository for the past few years. So
if you're already using code from the git repository, you shouldn't
notice any changes.

Thanks!

—Kevin

Carl-Henrik Buschmann