Cite author, tittle, year, not the whole shebang. Help!

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

May 15, 2015, 4:01:57 PM5/15/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

When using \cite, every single item in the bibtex entry appears, URL's and the lot. This is insane. Is there a way to make the normal cite behavior include only name, tittel and year? I see in the .def that normal cite is defined but i dont understand the code well enough to alter it. Help!

Kevin Godby

May 15, 2015, 4:41:51 PM5/15/15
to tufte-latex
Hello, Carl-Henrik.
With natbib, I'm not sure that it's possible to extract the title. But
we could print the author and year in the margin. Is that sufficient?

I think biblatex provides more flexibility here and likely could
extract the title for us. Would you prefer to use biblatex?

—Kevin

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

May 15, 2015, 4:47:28 PM5/15/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
I don't have any preferences regarding which library to use, I'm not versed enough in either to know pros/cons. \citealt does provide author, year. I use it when necessary.

Kevin Godby

May 15, 2015, 4:48:31 PM5/15/15
to tufte-latex
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Carl-Henrik Buschmann
<chbus...@me.com> wrote:
> I don't have any preferences regarding which library to use, I'm not versed
> enough in either to know pros/cons. \citealt does provide author, year. I
> use it when necessary.

Okay, the question then is what exactly would you like to display in
the margin note?

—Kevin

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

May 15, 2015, 4:52:36 PM5/15/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Author, tittle, year.

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

May 17, 2015, 11:28:25 AM5/17/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com
Any luck? Tell me what to do, this needs fixing.

Kevin Godby

May 17, 2015, 3:46:21 PM5/17/15
to tufte-latex
Hello.

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 10:28 AM, Carl-Henrik Buschmann
<chbus...@me.com> wrote:
> Any luck? Tell me what to do, this needs fixing.

I'm working on a solution for you, but it entails learning more about
biblatex than I previously knew, so it will take a bit more time.

—Kevin

Carl-Henrik Buschmann

May 17, 2015, 3:48:00 PM5/17/15
to tufte...@googlegroups.com