TTS Extended on Donut, Eclair & Froyo

westmeadboy

Sep 9, 2010, 7:04:43 PM9/9/10
to TTS-for-Android
I'm rather confused about version 3.0 of this project. This post:

http://groups.google.com/group/tts-for-android/browse_thread/thread/ae91867da991b700

says "TTS Extended is now identical to the platform TTS in Froyo".

... which explains why TTS Extended is not available to Froyo devices
accessing the Market.

Now, there's lots of documentation on the Google Code site but most of
it is outdated, so I'm probably missing something.

Here's what i can gather:

TTS Extended has essentially the same functionality as the platform
TTS included with Froyo.

However, its not entirely the same, which can be demonstrated by using
the code found here (on 1.6 or 2.1):

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/09/introduction-to-text-to-speech-in.html

and "Complete action using" "TTS Service Extended" results in errors
like "NoSuchMethodError" (when accessing getDefaultEngine()).

So, within my app, I can test for Froyo (and use the code given in the
previous link). But what to do for earlier SDK versions?

I've already tested that code with 1.6 and 2.1 and it works fine (when
using Pico TTS). However, this only includes about 6 languages and I'd
like to point my users to something allowing them to download more
languages. How to do this? On Froyo? On earlier SDK versions?