Is tsWebEditor trying for the WORST interface ever?

Mike Starov

Jun 19, 2007, 7:38:55 PM6/19/07
to tsWebEditor
I use the editor regularly and have updated more than couple time. It
is very frustrating to see how interface becomes more and more
complex, awkward and overall hard to use. I dreaded the "symbol or
exit" dialog from the start. Why can it just close or go to a symbol
by default. Why does it have to ask every time. Now with new version
there a new dialog when you open a file: "What encoding do I want?
with auto detect preselected. Say what? I do not care as long as it
shows the text. It should just do the auto detect as default. If I
care about encoding so much then I'll go and change it in settings.
Another hugely annoying thing in the new version is the grouping of
files. Who needs that in text editor. It was hugely annoying when
Windows started to group task and now it my editor. All that does is
forces me to click is I want to see which files are open? How is that
helpful? Is anyone in the project familiar with interface design at
all? How can forcing the user to do extra "useless click" be any
helpful? What about efficiency and speed?

Please do not answer to this post that I can turn off dialogs in
settings. I know I can, but thats beside the point. This dialogs
should not be there in the first place and they are then there should
be a check mark to turn them off easily.

People who are in charge of UI functionality please read this post by
Jeff Atwood: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000290.html