[TSNhplus] TSNh+ status update/check, incl. website

Ben Hyink

May 13, 2010, 5:13:54 PM5/13/10
to tsnh...@googlegroups.com, Marcelo Rinesi
Hi all,

There is a lull in activity right now but I thought I should just run down what has been going on lately to keep the members of this group in the information loop.

* 1) Kristi Scott has resigned from the Humanity Plus Board and is focusing on her IEET work.

* 2) Before leaving Kristi completed a first draft of a revised student organizing guide and submitted it to the Board for review (a new draft was requested that was not a close adaptation of the Secular Student Alliance guide to keep TSNh+ as neutral on religion as possible). A revision of that draft will be needed someday soon for TSNh+ web pages.

* 3) We need a new Board Liaison and, if she is willing and able, it might be Natasha Vita-More, though another Board member also would be a welcome addition to the team.

* 4) Michael Ferguson is preoccupied with preparations for the Transhumanism and Spirituality seminar at the U. of Utah coming up early this autumn. I've told him I understand because major events tend to dominate most available free time of primary organizers as opposed to smaller ones that can be juggled with other work. I think it will be a great experience for Michael to draw on when he advises student organizers. I told Michael to just keep the Humanity Plus liaison (as well as us) apprised of his activities and availability.

* 5) Last I read, Michael wrote that MTA leaders would probably be working on a website for online student outreach (e.g. weekly chats, links to resources and activist outlets, etc.) if not TSNh+ proper. That sounds fine to me. However, in my opinion, given the decision Humanity Plus has made to "go its own way" and delete the affiliates page to assert greater control over content and operations, like the Center for Inquiry did 30 years ago, I think it should, like the CFI, host its own student outreach web pages.

That may not happen soon, but at some point I would like to see some commitment to doing that eventually if the potential of TSNh+ to grow the h+ movement (including functional roles like advancing the science and technology of anti-aging/life extension & uploading, "friendly" superintelligence utility functions, forward-thinking and pragmatically compassionate ["proactive"] governance policies, inspired aesthetics to enrich the public's imagination, etc, etc.) and the paying membership base of Humanity Plus is valued.

Again, this is what the CFI's mature student outreach program web pages look like:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/oncampus/
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/oncampus/about/
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/oncampus/resources/
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/oncampus/groups/index/
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/oncampus/faq/
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/oncampus/events/calendar/events/calendar/2010/05/
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/oncampus/news/archives/
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/

All pages are extensions of the main website: http://www.centerforinquiry.net/

That's all for now!  :-)

Best regards,

Ben

Kristi Scott

May 13, 2010, 6:38:24 PM5/13/10
to tsnh...@googlegroups.com, Marcelo Rinesi
Thank you for sending this out Ben. You are a truly hard worker and self starter. I would like to make a minor, but important correction.

1) I am actually focusing on my PhD studies. I am still working with the IEET since it aligns with my specific research area, but this is not why I resigned from Humanity+ or what I left to focus on. My research, studies and family are my priorities :)

2) This draft was requested by David Orban and Alex Lightman. I was supposed to hear back from them, but hadn't yet as of the time of my resignation. The H+ Board liaison may want to get hold of them to find out what they were doing with the revised document so the student group can use it.

Other than that good luck!!! I know you guys are motivated and will do good things. Feel free to contact me with questions or just to say Hi. I love to hear how things are going.

Kristi
--
Kristi Scott, MA
Doctoral Student, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale

Natasha Vita-More

May 14, 2010, 9:34:50 AM5/14/10
to tsnh...@googlegroups.com, Marcelo Rinesi
Thank you Kristi for all your hard work, follow-through and generosity.  You have been a joy to work with!  My question is if you will still be involved iwth us even though you are not currently on the Humanity+ Board?

Best,
Natasha

Nlogo1.tif Natasha Vita-More