TSNh+ Student Advocate Guide and the ImmInst MILE Guide

1 view

Ben Hyink

Dec 29, 2010, 9:38:16 PM12/29/10
to Eric Schulke, Fredrik Bränström, tsnh...@googlegroups.com, Ben Goertzel, Bryan Bishop, Thomas McCabe, leade...@humanityplus.org
Eric,

I noticed your invitation to collaborate with you by mutual linking
with your Immortality Institute MILE Guide (Movement for Indefinite
Life Extension -
http://www.imminst.org/forum/blog/15/entry-384-your-guide-to-mile-the-movement-for-indefinite-life-extension/
) and maybe combining the ImmInst chapters
(http://www.imminst.org/chapters/ ) with Humanity+ chapters. Attached
is the TSNh+ Student Advocate Guide under development (it also is on
Google Docs but I don't yet know how to access it there). It is
currently being revised and expanded. It is designed to emphasize
practical organizing information rather than inspiring rhetoric (which
takes up space and could make for a long guide that intimidates
potential readers). Groups with a specifically life extension focus
(either as one of many topics or as the primary topic) would fit
within the Academic Working Group or Traditional Club organizing
models.

Natasha Vita-More currently may be working on descriptions and
references for some possible topics of focus, like Human Enhancement
(including biopolitics) and Whole Brain Emulation (including cognitive
science, neuroscience, and AI/AGI). After she is done maybe you and
others at ImmInst could write another brief subsection on the topic of
life extension, describing academic disciplines most related and
suggesting references for groups to focus on the topic (this content
may be in the Academic Working Groups section).

As for "set[ing] this indefinite life extension guide up for review to
get a potential link too?," perhaps in return for a link "the other
way," it would seem to be up to the guide organizing committee
(including Ben Goertzel), with ultimate authority resting in the
Humanity+ Board if they care to make any decisions regarding the
guide. Likewise for Fredrik Bränström's prospective comprehensive
description of transhumanism on the wiki system (there already is the
Humanity+ FAQ, but maybe the Board wouldn't mind an additional link if
it becomes a good information source). I support the idea of mutual
linking somewhere in the guides.

You would have to speak with the Humanity+ Board (including Ben
Goertzel, Natasha Vita-More, and Thomas McCabe) about running the
ImmInst indefinite life extension chapters as a branch of Humanity+'s
chapters. It seems feasible and possibly mutually beneficial, but it's
really up to them. They might ask for a little more structure to your
chapters, e.g. a specific location and a group liaison to the Board,
preferably a discussion list and ideally a website (even if it is just
a meetup.com group).

Happy New Year, and I wish you many more, :)
Ben

Referenced Facebook Thread:

Fredrik Bränström Anyone up for co-writing an extensive yet concise
introductory guide to the field of transhumanism?

Ben Hyink Let me know when you're done. I'm working with others on
completing a Transhumanist Student Network (TSNh+) Student Advocate
Guide and there is a chance we might be able to squeeze in a link to
it if it is good by the time the Guide is published (the guide is
mostly for students to create campus clubs or academic working groups,
as well as DIYbio labs).
3 hours ago · LikeUnlike · 1 personLoading...
#
Ben Hyink TSNh+ will probably function as a program of Humanity+
3 hours ago · Like

Eric Schulke Ben, can we set this indefinite life extension guide up
for review to get a potential link too? Ill consider the same with
linking the other way. Also, we have indefinite life extension chapter
structure developing through imminst.org/chapters/ Do you think that
it would be better to run it as a branch through the transhumanists?
Also, we need more reviews of this indefinite life extension guide. If
anybody is interested in giving it one then let me know.
42 minutes ago · LikeUnlike
#
Eric Schulke Here is the draft on this indefinite life extension
guide: http://www.imminst.org/forum/blog/15/entry-384-your-guide-to-mile-the-movement-for-indefinite-life-extension/

TSNh+ Guide 1.0.doc

Bryan Bishop

Dec 29, 2010, 10:07:09 PM12/29/10