H+SN Guide - Word document and PDF

Ben Hyink

Apr 4, 2011, 6:17:48 PM4/4/11
to Curt Tigges, Josh Call, Natasha Vita-More, Bryan Bishop, Edward Miller, Thomas McCabe, Ben Goertzel, tsnh...@googlegroups.com, Ben Scarlato, Shayna Medinger, Kevin, John Niman, Jeremy Ford, Vincent LeBlanc, Devin Van Dyke, Eva, Rebecca Cadorette, Imamu Frazier, Nikos. V., Tim Butram, Jonathan Najenson, Heather Knight, Wade Martin, BRIAN MCBRIDE
Dear student organizers and collaborators,

Attached is a nearly complete original version of the H+SN Student
Advocate Guide. The most successful student outreach programs offer a
guide to provide students with strategies and tips to effectively
organize campus groups and serve as advocates of their cause to their
peers and the wider public. I hope you will make good use of the guide
in your own organizing and advocacy work. Please read the sections on
academic working groups and consider trying to create one instead of a
traditional club - though both group forms are useful.

I decided to send you an almost-complete guide rather than wait for
the guide to be completed because this school year is almost over and
time is of the essence if you are to create a group officially
recognized by your institution in time to reserve an information table
at the late-summer/early-fall Student Activities Fair (or equivalent),
where freshmen and new students can learn about all the groups on
campus. It is an important event for recruiting people to your group
before they devote all their free time to other clubs and
organizations. So try your best to organize a group and get it
recognized by the end of the school year.

Unless you specifically said that you were not trying to organize a
campus group, we will count your institution as a site where students
are organizing on our website. The default way we will handle
inquiries by students on the same campus is to give them your E-mail
address (not your mailing address). Please let us know if that makes
you uncomfortable and we will make a note not to share your E-mail
with interested students on your campus.

As soon as you get official recognition from your school please tell
us, with your group name, so we can cite your group in our list of
affiliates on the H+SN website.

Although our main focus is on organizing campus groups, we will offer
volunteer opportunities to serve the network in other ways. A key
activity we want to facilitate is the sharing of resources, like well
designed flyers, so that all H+SN students can adapt them to their
needs. Aside from work specifically on H+SN resources our projects and
announcements list can be used to recruit for Humanity+ projects and
event preparations/staffing. We'll keep you apprised of opportunities
as they emerge.

Very best wishes in your organizing and advocacy efforts!

Sincerely,

Ben Hyink

P.S. If after you have read the Guide and tried its advice you have
additional questions you think we could help you with, send an E-mail
to Curt Tigges, Josh Call and me and we will try to troubleshoot your
problem(s). We are all pretty busy but we will reply as we have time.
Your success is our endeavor.

H+SN Guide.pdf
H+SN Guide.doc