Re: Able to access the document?

Ben Hyink

Dec 30, 2010, 2:30:55 PM12/30/10
to Bryan Bishop, Natasha Vita-More, Ben Goertzel, tsnh...@googlegroups.com
Bryan,

You had a good idea creating a common document site for everyone to
edit. Although most people editing it are working on specific
sections, Natasha said she was editing the document in general and I
would hate to see multiple versions of the whole document emerge due
to lack of coordination... (I'm sending this to the whole committee
working on it to ensure we are on the same page.)

I did open up the document when you sent the link but thanks for
sending it again. I will be referring people to the Google Document
from now on.

Yes, I definitely wanted you to write a section or subsection on local
open source hardware _groups_. Good topics to cover include the
following: how to set one up, especially at a college or college town
(and in connection with relevant academic departments interested in
participating or even in managing a workspace); what are the
essentials in terms of equipment and a workspace; how to conserve
money; how to productively network with other local groups or
independent hobbyists; how best to invest authority over the
group/space to maintain it over the long term if possible; and
whatever else you think is worth mentioning in a limited space in the
document.

I originally thought that Joseph Jackson would be the best person to
create the DIYbio section but I haven't asked him yet and you
certainly seem to know a lot about DIYbio too. I guess I wouldn't mind
if you wrote that section too, answering the same sort of questions
(maybe combining some parts of the two sections if they are very
similar) as long as you consult with Jackson on a draft and let him
insert any information he thinks is useful, including advertising his
relevant non-profit companies or programs.

* It just dawned on me that someone could write a brief section about
setting up and maintaining a functioning cryonics intervention team -
maybe someone at Alcor (Max More just got appointed Chief Executive
Officer there). *

The overall point of the document is to plug transhumanist students
into productive group activities that have a local influence (a kind
of influence that is easier to gain and utilize) , even if only for a
brief time but ideally in a format that can be sustained indefinitely
through one or more activist leaders or through an academic department
or through a business with a local presence. I would like to offer
readers several productive options that they can pursue based on their
strongest interests and practical capabilities (e.g. what sort of
resources does their institution offer its students and interested
community members). I am only really familiar with how to start and
run traditional campus clubs well (especially bringing many speakers
to campus), but basic information should be available to guide
students who want to take other paths helpful to the broader
transhumanist cause (hopefully any student-initiated group influenced
by its guide would affiliate with the Transhumanist Student Network to
highlight its successes).

Best,
Ben