Need volunteer to make posters from design contest winners for art exhibit

Patri Friedman

Jul 28, 2009, 5:35:41 PM7/28/09
to tsi-vol...@googlegroups.com, tsi-3-d-design--g...@googlegroups.com
Greetings.  We have been invited to participate in an art exhibit:

DRAFT

29 Chains to the Moon: Visionary ideas and fantastic schemes for a better future
August 28 - December 6, 2009

Curated by Andrea Grover

In 1938, R.Buckminster Fuller wrote Nine Chains to the Moon, his radical proposal for improving humanity’s chance of survival via progressive design and visionary thinking. The title was a metaphor for cooperation toward a greater goal: if all of humankind stood on each others’ shoulders we could complete nine chains to the moon. Today, the population of the planet has increased more than three times (we could now complete 29 chains to the moon), world energy consumption is 80-90 percent dependent on fossil fuels, and Fuller’s dynamic maximum ion (Dymaxion) design is largely the stuff of museum exhibitions. Like Fuller’s proposal from five decades earlier, 29 Chains to the Moon unearths visionary ideas and fantastic schemes toward the future well being of humanity.

They wish to show any visual materials we have, particularly the design contest winners.  We'd like to make posters of the design contest winners and ship these and some other stuff to the exhibit, within the next few weeks.  TSI will pay for the posters and shipping.

Is anyone willing to take this on?  Find the cheapest way to make a nice poster out of each winner, with a minimal print run (1, if possible).  Do a little bit of design work to add biographical info about the winner and the entrant to each poster.  Maybe include multiple views on the same poster, up to you how fancy you want to get with it.

Would also be good to figure out if we can sell posters print-on-demand in an online store, but that's less time-critical.  This could make a good line on a resume: "Designed posters for art exhibit" sort of thing.  Shouldn't be a very big / long-lasting project.

Any takers?