Comparison of Tryton and OpenERP

jsherk

Jun 22, 2010, 2:34:55 PM6/22/10
to Tryton
I am interested in a comparison of how Tryton is different than
OpenERP ... what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Can anybody share their knowledge, especially based on recent
versions.

Thanks

Cédric Krier

Jun 22, 2010, 2:51:47 PM6/22/10
to try...@googlegroups.com

It is a large topic.
Could you specify on which domain you are interested?
- features
- openness
- stability
- quality

Cédric Krier

B2CK SPRL
Rue de Rotterdam, 4
4000 Liège
Belgium
Tel: +32 472 54 46 59
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com
Website: http://www.b2ck.com/

Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries

Jun 22, 2010, 4:16:44 PM6/22/10
to try...@googlegroups.com
On 6/22/2010 1:51 PM, C�dric Krier wrote:
> On 22/06/10 11:34 -0700, jsherk wrote:
>
>> I am interested in a comparison of how Tryton is different than
>> OpenERP ... what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.
>>
>> Can anybody share their knowledge, especially based on recent
>> versions.
>>
> It is a large topic.
> Could you specify on which domain you are interested?
> - features
> - openness
> - stability
> - quality

Ok, I have lots of questions...

Since Tryton is based on version 4 of OpenERP, what has Tryton tried to
do differently than OpenERP?
Another way to ask the question, might be why did you decide to branch off?

Are there some specific (working) modules that OpenERP has that Tryton
does not have, or that Tryton has that OpenERP does not have?

What does training cost?

What does a support contract cost?

Does it cost to have a module certified?

Thanks

Cédric Krier

Jun 22, 2010, 3:52:29 PM6/22/10
to try...@googlegroups.com
Here is my answer, it is only my personal point of view and I guess that every
one involved in Tryton has his own purpose.

On 22/06/10 15:16 -0500, Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries wrote:
> Since Tryton is based on version 4 of OpenERP, what has Tryton tried to
> do differently than OpenERP?

Almost every things :-)
But the main differences was, there are many more:

- quality/stability:
- We made codereview (which is not done by OpenERP despites what they
claim)
- Added unittest
- Follow PEP 8
- The developpement branch must be always runable
- Package modules is separate Python package to be able to update each one
by one
- Maintain many series in //
- improved constraint like:
- access right on delete cascade
- validation of decimal digits
- validation of dynamic required state

- migration:
- We include migration in the developpement process so when a change
will require database migration. It must be write within the patch
- We helper for migration

- modularity:
- We extended the modularity concept from OpenERP to be more powerful and
more stable (with check). (Some part have been reintroduced in OE)
- We create modules with simple concept and extend it by other modules
instead of having one big module that tries to do everything

- security:
- We added SSL support on NetRPC
- We added certificate validation and footprint

- openness:
- We discuss about the developpement before doing it
- We vote on some key rules

- Zen of Python: PEP 20
- One report engine (also partialy reintroduced in OE)
- One translation format

> Another way to ask the question, might be why did you decide to branch off?

Because it was impossible to make OpenERP to do those changes.

> Are there some specific (working) modules that OpenERP has that Tryton
> does not have, or that Tryton has that OpenERP does not have?

Tryton doesn't have yet production module (but the OpenERP one is not very
good :-).
Tryton doesn't have yet all the CRM feature you could expect.
Some Tryton's modules have not all the tiny customization but they can be
added with very little developpement.
Tryton doesn't have yet a webclient (work in progress). But you can already
use it with Django (see the wiki).

OpenERP doesn't have historisation.
OpenERP can not be used as module.
OpenERP doesn't have FIFO cost price.
OpenERP doesn't have all the standalone module (invoice, purchase etc.)
OpenERP doesn't have CalDAV.
OpenERP doesn't have as much possibility about the purchase workflow then
Tryton.

> What does training cost?

There is no standard price.
B2CK organize a training this week at 600€ per day but it is not directly
linked to Tryton project.

It depends of the supplier see: http://www.tryton.org/services.html

> Does it cost to have a module certified?

Nothing except time to achieve good quality :-)

Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries

Jun 22, 2010, 5:05:44 PM6/22/10
to try...@googlegroups.com
> B2CK organize a training this week at 600� per day but it is not directly

> linked to Tryton project.
>

>> What does a support contract cost?
>>
> It depends of the supplier see: http://www.tryton.org/services.html
>

>> Does it cost to have a module certified?
>>
> Nothing except time to achieve good quality :-)

I discovered OpenERP at the beginning of May, and here is the link to
the post I wrote after my first week of testing.
http://openobject.com/forum/topic16554.html

I am looking to avoid the same types of problems I had with OpenERP!

Hopefully Tryton will prove itself to be better! I will install it over
the next couple of days and start playing with it.

Thanks