BABI module

Albert Cervera i Areny

Aug 18, 2013, 5:17:05 PM8/18/13
to tryton-...@googlegroups.com
Several days ago we (more or less) finished and published a first port
of a basic business intelligence module we had done for OpenERP.
Currently it is just a making what we have in OpenERP run on Tryton
but it has some bugs and quirks that already existed in our OpenERP
version.

Some items of the TODO file, will probably be implemented earlier
because we think they're quite important to provide a decent solution.
Most important:

- Create a new table each time a report is calculated. This avoids
dropping the table and thus avoids the problem of removing information
while other users may be browsing the information
- Avoid the calculation to for slow down the server a lot and for a
long time. We need running in another thread and provide a mechanism
for stopping the process if it took more than X minutes.

It currenly does not use the hebi [2] but I think it could be an
option in the future. The main problem, by now is that we'd like to
support dimensions in columns and that would require some "pivoting"
functionality in hebi.

It does however, allow users to create "dynamic" tables, browse them
and create charts out of them very quickly. Please, give it a try.
Your feedback will be very welcomed!

PS: Even if B2CK preferred to create the tables manually, after the
hebi calculation. I think the creation of the chart out of the tree
could be reused. So there are probably some elements we could
generalize so that each one picks their favorite tools.

[1] https://bitbucket.org/nantic/trytond-babi
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tryton-contrib/C1K59jb14P0

--
Albert Cervera i Areny
Consultor funcional

Cédric Krier

Aug 21, 2013, 4:50:10 AM8/21/13
to tryton-...@googlegroups.com
On 18/08/13 23:17 +0200, Albert Cervera i Areny wrote:
> It currenly does not use the hebi [2] but I think it could be an
> option in the future. The main problem, by now is that we'd like to
> support dimensions in columns and that would require some "pivoting"
> functionality in hebi.

I don't think it is a good feature for hebi.
pivot table is just a presentation of data and not a good way to store
the data.
I think if such feature must be developped, it is inside the client as a
new kind of view.

--
Cédric Krier

B2CK SPRL
Rue de Rotterdam, 4
4000 Liège
Belgium
Tel: +32 472 54 46 59
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com
Website: http://www.b2ck.com/

Albert Cervera i Areny

Aug 21, 2013, 6:40:15 AM8/21/13
to tryton-...@googlegroups.com
2013/8/21 Cédric Krier <cedric...@b2ck.com>

> On 18/08/13 23:17 +0200, Albert Cervera i Areny wrote:
> > It currenly does not use the hebi [2] but I think it could be an
> > option in the future. The main problem, by now is that we'd like to
> > support dimensions in columns and that would require some "pivoting"
> > functionality in hebi.
>
> I don't think it is a good feature for hebi.
> pivot table is just a presentation of data and not a good way to store
> the data.
> I think if such feature must be developped, it is inside the client as a
> new kind of view.

I agree this is the ideal solution, but also probably the most complex one.

Mathias Behrle

Jul 28, 2014, 1:41:40 PM7/28/14
to tryton-...@googlegroups.com, Albert Cervera i Areny
* Albert Cervera i Areny: " [tryton-contrib] BABI module" (Sun, 18 Aug 2013
23:17:05 +0200):

> Several days ago we (more or less) finished and published a first port
> of a basic business intelligence module we had done for OpenERP.
> Currently it is just a making what we have in OpenERP run on Tryton
> but it has some bugs and quirks that already existed in our OpenERP
> version.
>
> Some items of the TODO file, will probably be implemented earlier
> because we think they're quite important to provide a decent solution.
> Most important:
>
> - Create a new table each time a report is calculated. This avoids
> dropping the table and thus avoids the problem of removing information
> while other users may be browsing the information
> - Avoid the calculation to for slow down the server a lot and for a
> long time. We need running in another thread and provide a mechanism
> for stopping the process if it took more than X minutes.
>
> It currenly does not use the hebi [2] but I think it could be an
> option in the future. The main problem, by now is that we'd like to
> support dimensions in columns and that would require some "pivoting"
> functionality in hebi.
>
> It does however, allow users to create "dynamic" tables, browse them
> and create charts out of them very quickly. Please, give it a try.
> Your feedback will be very welcomed!

Finally I managed to have a closer look to trytond-babi having it for a quite a
while on my ToDo list. It's an awesome enhancement and I just want to say late
thanks all contributors!

For further issues I will comment on bitbucket.

Cheers,
Mathias

--

Mathias Behrle
MBSolutions

Tel: +49(761)471023
Fax: +49(761)4770816
http://m9s.biz
UStIdNr: DE 142009020
PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6
signature.asc