Trowl 0.4.0 Preview

Mageuzi

Aug 10, 2009, 7:26:36 PM8/10/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
I've been hacking away at 0.4.0, and it's just about ready for
release. But a lot has changed in this version, and while I've of
course been using it myself, I haven't put it through extensive
testing. So if you're feeling brave, I'd like to enlist your help!

Here is what is new in 0.4.0:
* Growl Tweets you received while Trowl wasn't running. The settings
screen has a new tab, Startup, with a new option: "After login, growl
tweets I missed". If you enable it, then each time you start Trowl,
it will growl any tweets that you missed. It uses all of the same
growl settings you have set for regular growls. Also, these tweets
have their own growl label in GfW. You will find it under Trowl as
"While You Were Gone". I did this for two reasons: 1. there could be
a lot of growls, and you may want to view these differently from
regular tweet growls; and 2. for those of you who forward to iPhone,
chances are you won't want these to be forwarded, so this lets you
tell GfW to not forward these growls.

* Send Tweets from Trowl. There is now a "New Tweet" option to let
you send updates directly from Trowl. It's a relatively standard
tweet screen. It shows you how many characters you have left,
becoming a larger and redder font as you approach zero. It also has
built-in URL shortening. If you try to paste a URL, it will
automatically attempt to shorten it using is.gd. It will only try to
do this if the URL you are shortening begins with "http://". If the
attempt to shorten it fails for whatever reason, it will just paste
the original URL.

(Incidentally, tweets you send from Trowl will be marked as "from API"
and not "from Trowl". This is because of how Trowl authenticates
itself with Twitter. Twitter is trying to phase out the method Trowl
uses, and no longer allows new apps to register their names with
Twitter. At some point I do want to switch Trowl to the other method
of authentication, but this isn't a trivial change and so I haven't
done it yet. Just in case you were curious.)

* Silence option. This will tell Trowl to stop checking for tweets.
It will pick up where it left off when you turn silence off, so you
may get a lot of tweets if you had it silenced for a while.

* Better error reporting. No longer gives the raw twitter error codes,
which should be more helpful.

* Removed restriction of having at least one friend selected on the
Settings screen.

* Decodes HTML entities in tweets. No more of those infamous < >
codes floating around.

* Various other bug fixes / tweaks / changes...

If any of this sounds interesting to you and you'd like to play around
with it, please do so! You can always go back to 0.3.0 if you have
any issues, but I'll fix any problems that arise asap. Feel free to
send me a message on twitter (@mageuzi) or reply to this thread with
any issues or comments you have.

http://mageuzi.com/trowl/trowl0399.zip

Thanks again!