(400) Bad Request when Trowl logs in an tried to get my friend list

1 view

Brett

Aug 7, 2009, 10:20:31 PM8/7/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
I just downloaded Trowl and I get the following error when I try to
log in:

There was a problem retrieving your frinds list from Twitter. Please
try again later.
(The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.)

Any ideas?

I'm running Windows 7 (Build 7100)

Thanks

Mageuzi

Aug 8, 2009, 1:46:20 AM8/8/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Hello! This is usually the error twitter returns if you've reached
your rate limit. If you try again after waiting a bit does it still
happen? If so, I'll probably need to send you a build that gives a
more detailed error.

Brett Nolan

Aug 8, 2009, 1:45:28 PM8/8/09
to trowl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mageuzi

Just tried today and now it works great.
Why am i forced to allow it to notify me of new tweets from at least one friend?
I only really want to be notified of new DMs and @replies.

Thanks
-Brett

Mageuzi

Aug 8, 2009, 1:49:59 PM8/8/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Yeah? I guess I had assumed when I made it that you would want to be
notified of at least one friend's tweets. But I can change it in the
next release (which should be released soon) so that you can have just
DMs and @replies. Thanks for the feedback!
> > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

bkim

Sep 10, 2009, 9:55:38 AM9/10/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
I'm also running Windows 7 and am also receiving this error. It just
started happening recently. I'm pretty sure I'm not over my API rate
limit because I also use TweetDeck and it says I'm still well under
the limit. I've added Trowl to the firewall exceptions list, also.

Mageuzi

Sep 10, 2009, 10:57:21 AM9/10/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Hello,
If you have the latest version of Trowl, you shouldn't be getting the
"400 Bad Request" error, as I try to show friendlier errors now. Do
you know the exact error you're receiving? Also, when is it that you
receive the error? Thanks!

bkim

Sep 10, 2009, 11:12:50 AM9/10/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Thanks for the quick reply!

I recently upgraded from 0.4.1 to 0.4.2. I get the following error
upon logging in:

"Twitter Server Error
There was a problem retrieving your friends list from Twitter. Please
try again later.
(The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.)

I get the same error if I try to open the Settings anytime after
signing in.

Mageuzi

Sep 10, 2009, 11:27:29 AM9/10/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Thank you! I will have to look into this in more detail later today.
I may need to send you a development version in order to capture some
details about why twitter is sending back that error. If you haven't
reached your rate limit, then the only other reason for getting that
error is if twitter is receiving a request from Trowl that it doesn't
understand. Off the top of my head, the only reason I can think this
is happening is if you have a firewall or other web filtering software
that is intercepting the call. You already said you created a
firewall exception for Trowl, so it may not be that either.

I'll look into it and let you know. Thank you for reporting this!

bkim

Sep 10, 2009, 11:51:56 AM9/10/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
I'm happy to help you debug. It's possible it's some strange Windows
firewall issue. It's hard for me to tell because I don't have any
debugging output to look at.

Mageuzi

Sep 10, 2009, 11:59:38 AM9/10/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Yes, exactly, that's probably why I'll need to send you a dev version,
since it has a detailed debug log. I run Trowl on both Vista x86
Ultimate and Windows 7 RC x86 without issues, so I'm not sure if it's
a Windows firewall issue. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have no exception
in Windows 7 for Trowl and it runs fine. Anyway, thank you for
helping me debug this, I'll be in touch with you later!