FEATURE REQUEST: Grouping Friends

1 view

meNotU

Aug 21, 2009, 11:13:02 PM8/21/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Hi,

It would be really helpful to group like "friends" and apply
notification policies at the group level. For example, I may want a
policy for my family that includes DM and @replies. However I may
have a second group that is business partners or new agencies which
don't get @replies.

Using a folder hierarchy with recursion would give a lot of
flexibility and would be easy to understand. It would also provide a
great interface when using multiple Twitter Accounts. Each Twitter
Account could be the top level folder.

Mageuzi

Aug 22, 2009, 12:24:05 AM8/22/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Thanks for the feedback!

Could you maybe elaborate a little bit more on what you had in mind?
The way it works now is that if you check off a friend, it means you
want everything from them -- general tweets, @replies to you, DMs to
you. Do you mean you may only want general tweets from some friends,
but no replies or DMs from them..?

One thing I have considered adding is the ability to set certain
"priorities" to your friends, so that certain growls will be high
priority, while others will be low. This is another more advanced
feature that I've been thinking about so as to not clutter the
interface too much.

Me Not U

Aug 22, 2009, 12:07:57 PM8/22/09
to trowl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Here is a quick visual that I was thinking about.   This would be a replacement for the information contained within the General Tweets frame.

//++++++++++
{twitterAccount#1} (folder)-> {groupName#1} (folder) -> friend/followed account (element)
{twitterAccount#1} (folder)-> {groupName#2} (folder) -> friend/followed account (element)
{twitterAccount#2} (folder)-> {groupName#1} (folder) -> friend/followed account (element)
{twitterAccount#2} (folder)-> {groupName#2} (folder) -> friend/followed account (element)
//++++++++++

At each folder/element the primary option is to right-click.  A context-sensitive menu would have the following options:

//++++++++++
Add New Twitter Account (only on top top level only context menu)
Create New Folder
//++++++++++

The "Options" menu would appear with the following items which are for that group/element:

//++++++++++
Replies
  {y/n}Growl all @replies and mentions, from group|element
  {y/n}Do not growl tweets that are @replies to others

DMs
  {y/n}Growl all DMs, from group|element

Check for new tweets every: N minute(s) for group|element

Apply to subfolders? {y/n}

Growl Priority for group|element {emergency/high/normal/low/very low}
//++++++++++

As you add more notification options like perhaps allowing general tweets but not DMs or allow/deny retweets they would be added to the menu.

An example using the method above might look like this >>>>

personaltwitter -> news -> BNO
personaltwitter -> news -> CNN
personaltwitter -> friends -> mageuzi
personaltwitter -> family -> wife
personaltwitter -> family -> son
personaltwitter -> sports -> ESPN
personaltwitter -> sports -> top_gear_america

businesstwitter -> partners -> google
businesstwitter -> partners -> businesspartner
businesstwitter
 -> dev -> saurik
businesstwitter -> dev -> iphone_dev

Folder policy examples >>>>
** News Policy would be check every 5 minutes and send via Low and restict @replies, DM
** Friends Policy would be send all messages with Normal Priority and check every 15 mins
** Family Policy would send all message with High Priority and check every 5 minutes
** Dev Policy would check every 30 minutes and send via Norma and restrict @replies, DM

Individual policy examples >>>>
** businesspartner would be check every 5 minutes and send all messages with Emergency
** google would check every 4 hours and send via Low

- Does that help?

Mageuzi

Aug 23, 2009, 12:30:07 AM8/23/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
That definitely helps a lot, thank you! You're right, this would be
very flexible and very powerful. I worry that it might be a bit
overwhelming, or at least more than would be needed, for most users.
I definitely like the concept, though, and it's something I'll think
about for doing after multiple accounts are implemented. I tend to
like this sort of fine grain control as well ;)