Twitter Display v1 & Trowl 0.4.2

Mageuzi

Aug 20, 2009, 8:18:06 AM8/20/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Hello all!

If you use Trowl more as a desktop client than a method to forward
tweets to your iPhone, then you've probably noticed that it's
difficult to interact with your tweets. Well, I've been working on a
display for Growl for Windows which allows you to do just that.

The display is called, simply enough, "Twitter Display", and when
hooked into the latest development version of Trowl gives you several
features:
* It attempts to find URLs in tweets and turns them into hyperlinks
for easy access.
* It shows you the approximate time when the tweet was sent.
* It gives you a Reply button which lets you reply to that tweet
directly from Trowl. (Retweet and DM coming soon.)

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, then I'd like
your help to test it out.
First, you will need the Twitter Display. This link should
automatically install the display in Growl for Windows for you:
growl://display*http://mageuzi.com/trowl/twitterdisplay.xml
(Once installed, don't forget to make it the display that Trowl uses!)

Second, you will need the development version of Trowl so that it
properly interacts with this display:
http://mageuzi.com/trowl/trowl042-dev.zip

If you come across any issues, let me know here or on twitter
(@mageuzi). You can, of course, go back to 0.4.1 anytime you'd like.

Also, feel free to use the Twitter Display with any other apps you'd
like. You won't see the time display or the reply button unless the
app is "aware" of them, but it will still behave like any other
display.

A big thank you goes out to Brian for his help in creating this
display!

Thanks, and I look forward to everyone's feedback!

Mageuzi

Aug 20, 2009, 9:41:51 AM8/20/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
If you have any issues with the links above, try the links on this
page:
http://mageuzi.com/trowl/trowldisplay.html

I was hoping Google would hyperlink the entire "growl" link, but I
guess that was expecting too much. Thanks again!

meNotU

Aug 20, 2009, 10:17:11 PM8/20/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Nice App! It's pretty much exactly what I've been looking for.

Any plans to allow multiple twitter accounts?

Mageuzi

Aug 20, 2009, 10:27:17 PM8/20/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Thanks! Glad to hear you like it :)

I've thought about multiple accounts, yes. I assume you're thinking
of something along the lines of being able to set up multiple
accounts, and then have tweets from any of those accounts get growled?

Craig Froelich

Aug 20, 2009, 10:31:19 PM8/20/09
to trowl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Exactly.  If you'd like an example (a poor one), there is another Growl client called Twitulater. They provide the option but the interface is less elegant than yours. They also don't have the filtering options that you have.

Mageuzi

Aug 20, 2009, 10:42:46 PM8/20/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Yeah, I've seen the concept implemented in other programs. The
biggest obstacle is managing the settings screen for multiple
accounts. It's of course possible, I'm just bouncing around ideas for
how to best present it so that it's still clean and logical. So yes,
definitely plans to do it :) I have one other "big" feature on my
list right now that I want to implement, so perhaps after that I can
start work on multiple account support.

Me Not U

Aug 20, 2009, 10:49:27 PM8/20/09
to trowl-fo...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great. I'm glad to here it is on the list; even if it isn't first.

Let me know if you need any help with testing. I'm well versed with software development.

Mageuzi

Aug 21, 2009, 8:06:38 AM8/21/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Thank you! I'll definitely appreciate the help testing when I start
work on it. In the meantime, if you keep using 0.4.2, let me know if
you find any problems. Thanks!

On Aug 20, 10:49 pm, Me Not U <men...@instantmessage.net> wrote:
> Sounds great. I'm glad to here it is on the list; even if it isn't first.
>
> Let me know if you need any help with testing. I'm well versed with software
> development.

Mageuzi

Aug 23, 2009, 2:41:30 PM8/23/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
I just uploaded a refresh of the Twitter Display and Trowl 0.4.2 based
on feedback. Specifically:

Twitter Display:
* Added "Retweet" and "DM" buttons.

Trowl 0.4.2:
* Fixed a bug on Windows 64-bit. Also used new Growl connectors to
improve 64 bit support. If you use a 64-bit version of Windows and
Trowl stops working, please let me know.
* Added support for Twitter Display's "Retweet" and "DM" buttons.
* Better "new version" detection.
* Better sorting of tweets as they're growled.

If you've been trying out 0.4.2, please install the new version and
let me know what you think. Thanks!

Mageuzi

Aug 26, 2009, 9:42:14 AM8/26/09
to Trowl (for Windows)
Just in case anyone didn't see my tweet this morning: I've made 0.4.2
and Twitter Display available to everyone from the main Trowl
webpage. If you downloaded and are using the development version I
posted on Sunday, there is no need re-download the version from the
website -- they are the same.

As always, let me know if you find any problems. Thanks for testing!