Sufficiently Advanced at Endgame

Carl Rigney

Nov 10, 2008, 12:22:00 PM11/10/08
to troupe_...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to try running Sufficiently Advanced at Endgame sometime,
preferably on a weekend. As always I'll teach the rules, but it
would be useful if you've read the new Space Opera to have a feel
for the kinds of things that are possible: Vernor Vinge (Fire Upon
the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky), Aleister Reynolds (Revelation
Space trilogy or really anything), Charles Stross (Singularity Sky
and Iron Sunrise) and so forth: "Well, at least they're not Godlike.
They have to disassemble planets for mass."

If you haven't seen the game (I don't think IPR carries it so Endgame
doesn't stock it, alas), here's a blurb:

We left Earth behind, though we will never forget it.

With aid from the future itself we stepped into new worlds across
the universe. We made new homes here, and new ways of life, each
of us walking our own path. We strove for peace and knowledge, for
love and truth. We clung to tradition and built our futures from
it. Many of us fell along the way. Now we are together again, every
possible transformation of humanity. We are by turns fascinated,
horrified, and compelled by each other. Whether there will be a
melding of ideas or a violent shattering remains to be seen.

Once we reached for the stars. Now we have them. What we do with
them is up to us.

Each player in Sufficiently Advanced is an agent of the Patent
Office, an intergovernmental organization that polices and enforces
intellectual property law across the universe.

It is an open secret that the Patent Office is run by the Transcendental AIs,
who receive information from the future. The Transcendantals
desire the survival of humanity -- as much of it
as possible -- into the distant future,
in order to ease their loneliness.
Towards this end, they
have hired you,
so that you
might save
humanity.

http://suffadv.wikidot.com/

3 or 4 players will likely do. I might offer pregen PCs, since
chargen seems fairly complicated.

--
Carl Rigney
c...@telemancy.com

"This planet's star is going nova. Please fix that and then find
out what the real problem is."

Mike Montesa

Nov 10, 2008, 12:26:35 PM11/10/08
to troupe_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carl,

I totally would be up for this. As long as whatever date you choose is open for me, I'll be happy to play. I'm reading Revelation Space right now and I've been thinking about getting Sufficiently Advanced for a while now, so it's all up in my mindspace at the moment.

Mike

Brian Mays

Nov 10, 2008, 12:45:01 PM11/10/08
to troupe_...@googlegroups.com
I love the Revelation Space series!  I would be up for Sufficiently Advanced as well, if I can swing the free time.

Brian

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"It is said--and it is true--that just before we are born
a cavern angel puts his finger to our lips and says,
'Hush, don't tell what you know'.
This is why we are born with a cleft on our upper lips
and remembering nothing of where we come from."

 -- Roderick MacLeish  - Prince Ombra

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Wilson Westbrook

Nov 10, 2008, 2:29:45 PM11/10/08
to troupe_...@googlegroups.com
I'm game

Steven Grady

Nov 10, 2008, 2:39:40 PM11/10/08
to troupe_...@googlegroups.com
If timing works for me, I'm definitely interested.

Steven

Chris Peterson

Nov 11, 2008, 2:10:21 PM11/11/08
to troupe berkeley
hi Carl, I'm interested in playing Sufficiently Advanced, but it
sounds like you have a lot of interested players. If you have any drop
outs or you schedule a second game, please count me in!

chris p.