mcmcsamp function no longer operational ...

Christophe Cleguer

Jan 6, 2014, 11:20:48 PM1/6/14
to tropi...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

I just realize that the mcmcsamp function of lme4 was not implemented for the new version of lme4.

Bit of a pain in the b** for the code I am using for my dugong density analysis.

Can anyone tell me how I can get around this? I am new to R and thus have very little experience.

That would be VERY helpful, thanks.

Christophe Cleguer

Craigie, Ian

Jan 7, 2014, 12:00:02 AM1/7/14
to tropi...@googlegroups.com

Christophe,

You ask a good question because the loss of that function is going to be a serious headache for a number of people, including me.

The quickest solution is probably to install an older version of R and the associated packages you need so you can run your existing code. There is a description of how to do this here: http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/How-to-install-older-version-of-R-td889239.html . It’s a bit of a fiddle because each package has to be downloaded and installed manually but it’s not difficult. File versions dated around the middle of 2013 should be about right.

In the longer term we’ll have to use one of the alternative methods suggested under ‘pvalues’ on p59 in the lme4 pdf: http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/lme4/lme4.pdf .

Getting p-values from mixed effect models with mcmcsamp has always been statistically iffy, and it’s a hangover from older modelling methods that has led to a desire to produce them for reviewers and editors etc.

Hope that helps,

Ian

Ian Craigie Ph.D.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow

ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies,

James Cook University, Townsville, QLD 4811, Australia

Phone: +61 042 590 4667

http://www.coralcoe.org.au/

--
An R group for questions, tips and tricks relevant to spatial ecology and climate change.
All R questions welcome.

Christophe Cleguer

Jan 7, 2014, 12:29:20 AM1/7/14
to tropi...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Ian, I will do as you advice, thks for the tip!