Jupiter in 1st house Placidus = Abuse alcohol

Ray Murphy

Apr 7, 2008, 6:58:41 PM4/7/08
to Tropical Astrology Research
Hi All,

Continuing the search for "Who's got the astrological factor"

[JUP in 1ST HOUSE]

The database of timed charts now has 80 categories of occupations and
traits with 31,064 people.

When a search was done for Jupiter in the first house, Placidus, the
leading category was "Abuse alcohol". with 52 out of 354 having that
factor which was a whopping 172.9% of the expected score. The Chi
square score was a very high 16.53.

The only category that came anywhere near it was "Married under 3
years". It had 167% of the expected score with a Chi square score of
9.51 which is also very good. In that case 20.9 were expected but 35
were observed.

Ray

Graham Douglas

Apr 8, 2008, 7:43:18 AM4/8/08
to tropical-astr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ray,
           Chi - squared with Df = 11 needs to be 19.6 or so to have a probability of 0.05 of being a chance occurrence. Not sure why you say it is whopping.
          Cheers,
           Graham.

Ray Murphy

Apr 8, 2008, 10:45:55 AM4/8/08
On Apr 8, 8:43 pm, Graham Douglas <ondastropic...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>When a search was done for Jupiter in the first house, Placidus, the leading category was "Abuse alcohol". with 52 out of 354 having that factor which was a whopping 172.9% of the expected score. The Chi square score was a very high 16.53.

Hi Graham,

I was referring to the percentage of the expected score rather than
the Chi squared score. It looks extremely high for numbers involved
(52/354) and I have a feeling from looking at a lot of other printouts
that we won't see many results like it in this sort of astrological
survey.

I agree that we would need a Chi squared score of about 19.6 to reach
the 0.05 level because we would have to use 11 degrees of freedom for
the 12 houses involved, but at this rate (172% of the average score)
it wouldn't take much more data to reach it. We'd get a Chi squared
score of 33 if the trend remained with just another 354 cases.

On another level, that Chi squared score of 16.53 seems to be very
high to the people who use R-scores -- including the Astro
Investigators (or the Gators) although I still can't wrap my brain
around the whole concept of R-scores but the Gators use them
exclusively.

Have a look at their newsletter PDF file which is available at their
website:
http://www.astroinvestigators.com/index.html

Here is an excerpt from their PDF (reproduced here under 'fair use'
terms or study purposes).
http://tropical-astrology-research.googlegroups.com/web/Chi%20and%20R%20scores.gif?gda=KetXPkgAAAC3a_vX7pWCIpJ03kb_VpQ1-94Yd1lCvoR-AYrlgTbkWOG2sVwGLF-i21hNBTL4y6OSfGz8Uqd7bJg75rwPfB37YOFMZAdgbKldmB3t28drtw&gsc=c4jjEgsAAACEMYSNHveY-CV9Rgmo9ksj

Would anyone here be able to tell me (or us) what that table means for
astrological research? I've asked the Gators a few times but they
won't tell me :-(

Ray

Graham Douglas

Apr 8, 2008, 10:54:18 AM4/8/08
to tropical-astr...@googlegroups.com
OK, I'll take a look.
They won't tell you ! What kind of researchers are they ???
           Cheers,
            Graham (JU on DS by the way, phew, confirms what i've always thought: its only my friends who have a drink problem).

Ray Murphy

Apr 8, 2008, 12:25:37 PM4/8/08
On Apr 8, 11:54 pm, Graham Douglas <ondastropic...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> OK, I'll take a look.
> They won't tell you ! What kind of researchers are they ???

RM: I'm buggered if I know. It's possible they're connected to the CIA
because some information is only released on a "need to know" basis.
Another clue was the public threat to "expose me" as a bad researcher
for mentioning on the NCGR group, the Mercury-Uranus connection that I
observed in the list of 400 people who described themselves as
liking to argue. That was data which was harvested by another
astrologer and put up on her website in various datafile formats.

Perhaps I should ask the 'Gators to drop in here and participate,
although the chief 'allegator' might be too busy.

> Graham (JU on DS by the way, phew, confirms what i've always thought: its only my friends who have a drink problem).

RM: There's a thought - a new category for people who have a problem
with drinkers :-)

Ray