Mercury in 1st house Placidus = Journalists

Ray Murphy

Apr 7, 2008, 6:41:31 PM4/7/08
to Tropical Astrology Research
Hi All,

Continuing the search for "Who's got the astrological factor"

The database of timed charts now has 80 categories of occupations and
traits with 31,064 people.

When a search was done for Mercury in the first house, Placidus, there
was only one clear leader -- "Gauquelin Journalists" with 88 out of
674 having that factor, which was 134.4% of the expected number. The
Chi square score is 8.09.

Astrologers should be pleased that the computer program found such a
fitting category ahead of the other 79. The Cartoonists got a higher
percentage (141.6%) but due to the very low numbers involved the Chi
square score was completely irrelevant.

In these surveys I'm not suggesting that the Placidus house system is
any better than any other house system.

It may turn out that Journalists get 'rolled' by some other Mercurial
category when more categories are added.

Ray

xl...@sympatico.ca

Apr 21, 2008, 9:10:55 AM4/21/08
On Apr 7 Ray wrote:

> In these surveys I'm not suggesting that the Placidus house system is
> any better than any other house system.

Hi Ray! Placidus may not be the best for astrological interpretation
(I don't use it myself) but I think it is the system that gives any
planet an equal chance of being in any house for a sidereal time
picked at random. At least I think that's the conclusion the
Gauquelins arrived at in their 1957 paper on diurnal distributions of
planets; I'll have to re-read it when I have a moment of serenity.

If you want to continue with Placidus (whether the above paragraph is
true or not) it would be preferable to use three-dimensional Placidian
sectors and take a planet's latitude into account. This is better than
what the Gauquelins did, because with the tools available in the 1950s
they chose to assume planets were on the ecliptic. I don't know what
people have done in more recent studies - presumably they have used
the better method.

I'll give the formulae in a separate thread. Not only are they easier
than those for determining house cusps, but they can easily be adapted
to any number of sectors you desire: the Gauquelins used 18 and
sometimes 36.

Axel