rsem-prep_reference error

Shenu Hudson

Aug 6, 2019, 6:03:32 AM8/6/19
to trinityrnaseq-users

Hello trinity users ,

I’m working on a plant pathogen (control and treated sample). I already completed my assembly using trinity then I found that my assembled data contains plant genes. Then I filtered out plant genes and tried to do the differential expression analysis using RSEM and EdgeR. Then I got the below error

command line:

~/trinityrnaseq-Trinity-v2.8.3/util/align_and_estimate_abundance.pl --transcripts trinity_filtered.fasta --seqType fq --left PCCMS_1_paired.fastq --right PCCMS_2_paired.fastq --est_method RSEM --aln_method bowtie2 --trinity_mode  --prep_reference --output_dir rsem_outdir_control

Total time for backward call to driver() for mirror index: 00:02:49
CMD: touch /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.RSEM.rsem.prepped.started
CMD: rsem-prepare-reference  --transcript-to-gene-map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.gene_trans_map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.RSEM
rsem-synthesis-reference-transcripts /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.RSEM 0 1 /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.gene_trans_map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta
 (ASCII code 13), at line 2, position 81!_filtered.fasta contains an unknown character,
"rsem-synthesis-reference-transcripts /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.RSEM 0 1 /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.gene_trans_map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta" failed! Plase check if you provide correct parameters/options for the pipeline!
Error, cmd: rsem-prepare-reference  --transcript-to-gene-map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.gene_trans_map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.RSEM died with ret: 65280 at /share/apps/trinityrnaseq-Trinity-v2.8.3/util/align_and_estimate_abundance.pl line 790.

i checked at line 2 and there is no unknown character in that line.

I would appreciate any help :)

Mark Chapman

Aug 6, 2019, 7:14:55 AM8/6/19
to Shenu Hudson, trinityrnaseq-users
Hi Shenu,

Could it be a hidden character? try sed -n 'l' myfile (or sed -n 'l' myfile | head -n 2 if the file is big)

you should see \t for a tab and $ for a linebreak

and try it on your pre-edited file too to see what the original format was)

cheers, Mark

Dr. Mark A. Chapman
+44 (0)2380 594396
------------------------------------
Biological Sciences
University of Southampton
Life Sciences Building 85
Highfield Campus
Southampton
SO17 1BJ

Shenu Hudson

Aug 7, 2019, 2:02:52 AM8/7/19
to trinityrnaseq-users
Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your reply

i tried sed command as you said and this is what i got... could you please check and let me know what you think

sed -n 'l' trinity_filtered.fasta | head -n 2
>TRINITY_DN27143_c0_g1_i1 len=867 path=[0:0-866]\r$
cccttcttctgtccctttattccatccctctccctttactttgtcaccacccacaaatacaaaagagca\

sed -n 'l' Trinity.fasta | head -n 2
>TRINITY_DN27143_c0_g1_i1 len=867 path=[0:0-866]\r$
CCCTTCTTCTGTCCCTTTATTCCATCCCTCTCCCTTTACTTTGTCACCACCCACAAATACAAAAGAGCA\

Mark Chapman

Aug 7, 2019, 4:22:41 AM8/7/19
to Shenu Hudson, trinityrnaseq-users
Hi Shenu,

Nothing obvious, especially as both files have the same characters. The error was allegedly at position 81 but there are only 69 characters and a carriage return. Can you run it with head (ie without the '-n 2').

Also, What happens if you run your command with the unfiltered fasta (~/trinityrnaseq-Trinity-v2.8.3/util/align_and_estimate_abundance.pl --transcripts Trinity.fasta etc etc)? does it work?

Cheers, Mark

Shenu Hudson

Aug 8, 2019, 2:58:43 AM8/8/19
to trinityrnaseq-users
Hi Mark,

Sorry for late reply...

Thank you for pointing out about position 81. you were right i found a line break character .
I removed all the line break character and then ran the command for RSEM. still i'm getting same sort of error

Error:

Total time for backward call to driver() for mirror index: 00:00:27

CMD: touch /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.RSEM.rsem.prepped.started
CMD: rsem-prepare-reference  --transcript-to-gene-map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.gene_trans_map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.RSEM
rsem-synthesis-reference-transcripts /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.RSEM 0 1 /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.gene_trans_map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta
 (ASCII code 13), at line 2, position 868!filtered.fasta contains an unknown character,

"rsem-synthesis-reference-transcripts /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.RSEM 0 1 /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.gene_trans_map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta" failed! Plase check if you provide correct parameters/options for the pipeline!
Error, cmd: rsem-prepare-reference  --transcript-to-gene-map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.gene_trans_map /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta /state/partition1/rani/trinity_filtered.fasta.RSEM died with ret: 65280 at /share/apps/trinityrnaseq-Trinity-v2.8.3/util/align_and_estimate_abundance.pl line 790.

then i checked at line 2, position 868

sed -n 'l' trinity_filtered.fasta | head -n 14

>TRINITY_DN27143_c0_g1_i1 len=867 path=[0:0-866]\r$
cccttcttctgtccctttattccatccctctccctttactttgtcaccacccacaaatacaaaagagca\
tgcgaacccgatgatcggtagccttcagtttgggtaataacctgtccagcatttctaacttcccacata\
gcctaactattgtaggcagataatgtctgggtactaaggtttcaacctcatcggcatgaagctgactta\
gatatgggtgattgcaaatattccggagttccatcacagtgttatgaactgagcgacccttaacattac\
caatggatccaagattatcctccactcttttcatcaaaagcttctgataagcagacgcttcacatctga\
taagcctttcaattttttcaggcaattgatgttcgaccttgtgtttcagccttcttaggacaaatggcc\
gaagaacttgatgaagtcggtttataatcaacagattctcctcctctgatagtagagcttcttcaggtg\
aactatcaccattactctcaaacggtttattgaaccattgagaaaaatcctcagatgaattaaaaatgt\
taggcagcaagaagttaagcaaggcccagagctcctctaaattattctgaagcggagttccagtcaaga\
gcaagcgatgggaactttgataaagcttcaagtcagcgttcagcttacatgaggcattctttattcgat\
gcccctcgtctataataatgtaatgccagagaattttgctcagtttaggacgatcatgtttgttcatta\
aatattcataagtagtcaaaaggacattgaatttctgatgaacaatcctttccttgaataatttgcgcc\
tttcttctggaggacctgaatatgtaatcttattcacac\r$

>TRINITY_DN27196_c0_g1_i1 len=518 path=[0:0-517]\r$
cctggccacttttatgccagaggagcctggaagatttaaacaatttgcagagcaagtaatttccctttc\

 sed -n 'l' Trinity.fasta | head -n 14

>TRINITY_DN27143_c0_g1_i1 len=867 path=[0:0-866]\r$
CCCTTCTTCTGTCCCTTTATTCCATCCCTCTCCCTTTACTTTGTCACCACCCACAAATACAAAAGAGCA\
TGCGAACCCGATGATCGGTAGCCTTCAGTTTGGGTAATAACCTGTCCAGCATTTCTAACTTCCCACATA\
GCCTAACTATTGTAGGCAGATAATGTCTGGGTACTAAGGTTTCAACCTCATCGGCATGAAGCTGACTTA\
GATATGGGTGATTGCAAATATTCCGGAGTTCCATCACAGTGTTATGAACTGAGCGACCCTTAACATTAC\
CAATGGATCCAAGATTATCCTCCACTCTTTTCATCAAAAGCTTCTGATAAGCAGACGCTTCACATCTGA\
TAAGCCTTTCAATTTTTTCAGGCAATTGATGTTCGACCTTGTGTTTCAGCCTTCTTAGGACAAATGGCC\
GAAGAACTTGATGAAGTCGGTTTATAATCAACAGATTCTCCTCCTCTGATAGTAGAGCTTCTTCAGGTG\
AACTATCACCATTACTCTCAAACGGTTTATTGAACCATTGAGAAAAATCCTCAGATGAATTAAAAATGT\
TAGGCAGCAAGAAGTTAAGCAAGGCCCAGAGCTCCTCTAAATTATTCTGAAGCGGAGTTCCAGTCAAGA\
GCAAGCGATGGGAACTTTGATAAAGCTTCAAGTCAGCGTTCAGCTTACATGAGGCATTCTTTATTCGAT\
GCCCCTCGTCTATAATAATGTAATGCCAGAGAATTTTGCTCAGTTTAGGACGATCATGTTTGTTCATTA\
AATATTCATAAGTAGTCAAAAGGACATTGAATTTCTGATGAACAATCCTTTCCTTGAATAATTTGCGCC\
TTTCTTCTGGAGGACCTGAATATGTAATCTTATTCACAC\r$

>TRINITY_DN27196_c0_g1_i1 len=518 path=[0:0-517]\r$
CCTGGCCACTTTTATGCCAGAGGAGCCTGGAAGATTTAAACAATTTGCAGAGCAAGTAATTTCCCTTTC\

Shenu Hudson

Aug 8, 2019, 3:00:17 AM8/8/19
to trinityrnaseq-users
It worked with unfiltered data

Mark Chapman

Aug 10, 2019, 3:07:49 AM8/10/19
to Shenu Hudson, trinityrnaseq-users
Hi Shenu,
Sorry for the late reply. Looks like there is a line break between contigs in the first fasta and not in your filtered fasta using sed. Not really sure why this is but I guess it means the line breaks have been modified in your file unfortunately. You might be able to fix this in notepad++, but it's hard to say exactly what has happened, sorry.
Cheers, Mark