ComponentSynchronizer

Alvin Reyes

Nov 9, 2011, 7:51:02 PM11/9/11
to tridion-p...@googlegroups.com
Hey Angel (and anyone working on ComponentSynchronizer),

We just brought on Hao, a fellow consultant (and office mate of mine) on board. He's very interested in the Core service, but may be available to work on/learn/help with ComponentSynchronizer and other tools.

I added 3 more potential requirements/questions on the Wiki page based on some chats with him. See reqs 5-7 on permissions, rollback, and if the tool should run in child publications and if so, what happens.
http://code.google.com/p/tridion-2011-power-tools/wiki/ComponentSynchronizer

Ran the tool today--nice prompt, but the fact you already pull back the schema fields is impressive. Not sure how I'm going to keep up with everyone!

Cheers,
Alvin

btw, find your ReSharper license in the Skype chat. Let me know if it'll help adding tasks for us to refactor individual tools (I imagine the group likes to clean code for fun). Would we need info on how to use the tool to match our coding standards?

Angel Puntero

Nov 10, 2011, 11:56:10 AM11/10/11
to Tridion PowerTools
Hi Alvin,

Thank you :) I´m polishing the interface, will upload an improved
version soon

Some feedback about the new requirements:

- Req 5: Permissions and Rights should use the existing user's rights

Agree. Using SessionAware Core Service, we can impersonate the current
user, so the core service conection acquires the user rights and
permissions. We can play with this to ensure security consistency.

- Req 6: Component Synchronizer should {rollback,fail,or do a partial
update?} if all found components can not be updated in a single
request

My view is that CompSync shouold do a partial update in case of
partial fail. But always inform the user about what has been done.

At least we need to provide: Number of components updated per
publication/ Number of components failed to update / tcm of components
failed

I dont think we should make a rollback, just because a component was
checked-in by another user :) This way 90% of times it will probably
rollback

- Req 7: Component Synchronizer should {return an error on, update the
parent, ignore, unlocalize (probably not), just report on, edit the
localized version of} components that have parent items

I think we definitely need an "Update localized Children" checkbox

This way if you want to update the whole three, you start in your
"Schema Publication", but if you need different default values, for
different publications, you can do it one by one.

So, maybe we also want an "Update parents checkbox"?

Ángel

On 10 nov, 01:51, Alvin Reyes <reyes.alv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Angel (and anyone working on ComponentSynchronizer),
>
> We just brought on Hao, a fellow consultant (and office mate of mine) on
> board. He's very interested in the Core service, but may be available to
> work on/learn/help with ComponentSynchronizer and other tools.
>
> I added 3 more potential requirements/questions on the Wiki page based on
> some chats with him. See reqs 5-7 on permissions, rollback, and if the tool
> should run in child publications and if so, what happens.http://code.google.com/p/tridion-2011-power-tools/wiki/ComponentSynch...<http://code.google.com/p/tridion-2011-power-tools/wiki/ComponentSynch...>
>
> Ran the tool today--nice prompt, but the fact you already pull back the
> schema fields is impressive. Not sure how I'm going to keep up with
> everyone!
>
> Cheers,
> Alvin
>
> *btw, find your ReSharper license in the Skype chat. Let me know if it'll
> help adding tasks for us to refactor individual tools (I imagine the group
> likes to clean code for fun). Would we need info on how to use the tool to
> match our coding standards?*

Hao Houang

Nov 10, 2011, 6:55:06 PM11/10/11
to Tridion PowerTools
hi Angel,

I am currently working on a local copy of Component Synchronization and
getting the scrollbars to display when you open a dialog which contains many
fields. Currently the dialog does not have a scrollbar and the execute
buttons are the bottom are not visible when using the Component
Synchronization on a large schema.

I also found a few naming convention that I want to fix such as the Progress
box which is displayed when you click on the "execute" button. Here is the
name in the AppDataInspectorTab.ascx page:

width: 300px; height: 100px;
background-color: white; text-align: center">
width: 100%">
1px; background-color: navy;">
&nbsp;</div>
center">
Progress</div>

The id should be someething like "Progress Dialog" to avoid confusion.

Hi Alvin,

Ángel

SDL Innovate 2012 - Santa Clara | March 5-6 http://www.sdl.com/innovate

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.

Jaime Santos

Nov 11, 2011, 11:23:57 AM11/11/11
to tridion-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hao,

What's the local copy of the Component Synchronization you are working on? are you implementing the synching process already? I would like to discuss this with you guys.

abilash mathew

Feb 18, 2013, 5:14:38 PM2/18/13
to tridion-p...@googlegroups.com
I would like to be part of developing ComponentSynchronizer tool as we went through some troubles syncing components for a schema change. It is very painful, if you are changing the schema once website is launched. You need to manually open an close each component to get the schema change reflected.

Thanks
Abilash

Chris Summers

Feb 18, 2013, 8:18:35 PM2/18/13
to tridion-p...@googlegroups.com
Welcome aboard - I added you as a contributor. Let me know if you need more permissions