New API call!

Kristina

Sep 30, 2013, 12:22:04 AM9/30/13
to trib...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to tell you all about a new API call that was merged in tonight.

TL;DR: Get info on a single inlet, with all parent information:  http://tributary.io/api/inlet/gistID An example: http://tributary.io/api/inlet/6708450

During the Tributary call on Friday, a important first step seemed to be a better way of displaying who the original author was of an inlet and the whole line of forks that happen when collaborating. I wanted to play around with visualizing it, but the tributary API didn't let you look at individual inlets, and the gist API showed fork data but not parent data (you could parse stuff out of the content box but that's kinda weird). So I added an API call that will get everything saved about an individual inlet, including the parent, grandparent, and so forth.

I wanted to whip up a super awesome example of this but it is far more rewarding to inspire others with an example that needs improvement (I'm very tired).

This is showing the forks of the informatively named "The Dog Next Door Won't Be Quiet" inlet. I created it on May 5th to do stars and zeffii showed me the power of math. In August I forked it to use the same math to divide circles for the Eyeo shirt design replication inlet and more recently it has been forked by some others to show tributary.control. That info isn't displayed legibly, but it's all there!

I look forward to seeing better visualizations with this!

Kristina

Ian Johnson

Sep 30, 2013, 6:23:19 PM9/30/13
to Kristina, trib...@googlegroups.com
I gotta say this is awesome!
One of the top priorities for us is to do a better job of showing the history of inlets, and this is a fundamental first step.

I look forward to forking your example, and seeing what other people do with it. Then I look forward to using one of those forks to look at the history of those forks ;)

Thanks for banging this out so quickly, very cool!

Ian Johnson - 周彦

theta theta

Oct 1, 2013, 12:56:15 PM10/1/13
to trib...@googlegroups.com
Cool!

I look forward to having time to poke it with a stick. I've fantasized about having the sloc count per inlet too, would be able to show a form of growth. In wilder dreams this includes the diff % between current inlet and the inlet that was it forked from.

Geoffery Miller

Oct 3, 2013, 7:23:49 PM10/3/13
to trib...@googlegroups.com
This is great.  Having an interactive clickable timeline built from this would be awesome to have somewhere all the time.