getting started + uploading json data

HisHighnessDog

Aug 8, 2013, 7:28:50 AM8/8/13
to trib...@googlegroups.com
I'm just getting started with Tributary.io.

(1) How do I either upload a json file or point my d3.js script at one stored online somewhere?

(2) Can anyone direct me to a getting started tutorial? (I've played with some of the hosted examples, but I'm trying to set one up from scratch)

Thanks

HisHighnessDog

Aug 8, 2013, 7:32:50 AM8/8/13
to trib...@googlegroups.com
(adding to my post: as with json data, how to I associate a css file with my gist?)

Kristina

Aug 8, 2013, 8:40:14 AM8/8/13
to trib...@googlegroups.com
To upload a json file
  1.  Right above the code portion on the right side of the screen you'll see a blue inlet.js button. To the right of that is a button with a + on it. Click it, and name your data something.json This tells tributary that you have a json file and attaches it to the tributary object
  2. In your code, do var something = tributary.something; The tributary.something has to match the file name (without extension) of your json file. The variable can be named whatever you want. This gets a bit tricky with json to know you're getting to the right part, but doing console.log of your variable should help you.
  3. An example of that is here http://tributary.io/inlet/5802441 Line 4 is where I get the data in. You'll see I had to go in one .data because of the way the json is structured.
To attach a css
  1. Do the same as 1 above, only naming it style.css That name is enough to make your file usable by tributary
  2. See the old user pages for an example http://tributary.io/inlet/5860371
There isn't really a tutorial - I know Enjalot's been looking to do documentation for a bit but has been busy :)

Good luck!

Ian Johnson

Aug 8, 2013, 1:09:40 PM8/8/13
to Kristina, trib...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for breaking it down Kristina!

Unfortunately Ive been horrible about documentation... The closest thing would be my videos using tributary. This one involves all the things you are trying to do:
http://youtu.be/7onrFA0hWog
I have a few playlists worth covering various d3 concepts all using tributary.

HisHighnessDog

Aug 8, 2013, 3:53:42 PM8/8/13
to trib...@googlegroups.com, Kristina
Thank you, everyone!

dave thorneycroft

Apr 15, 2016, 8:21:46 AM4/15/16
to Tributary, gel...@gmail.com
Hi Ian , Im enjoying your frontend masters course , its really informative.  Does Tributory.io work right now.  I am starting from a clean slate.  Go to the editor, select add a file - add name and json data but the file doesn't appear to be added . It just sits there  and I cannot go back to the inlet.js file .  I followed your example from the you tube video but it just doesn't appear to work ?

Can you explain where I am going wrong it seems such a simple thing to do .

Thanks for your time . Once again great video course.

dave thorneycroft

Apr 15, 2016, 8:24:35 AM4/15/16
to Tributary, gel...@gmail.com
Its OK I just pressed return and it worked OK.  Thanks

Ian Johnson

Apr 17, 2016, 4:12:27 PM4/17/16
to dave thorneycroft, Tributary
Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delayed response! I'm glad you figured it out. Tributary definitely has its UX holes...
I've moved on to a new project with the same goals: http://blockbuilder.org
you might find it more suitable for learning/practicing d3.

enjoy!

--
Ian Johnson - 周彦