May 2, http://www.tribtimes.com

1 view

William Zambrano MD

May 1, 2024, 3:22:01 PMMay 1
to Tribulation Times
Tribulation Times

Subscribe                     Unsubscribe                     View Archives

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEARhttps://oneyearbibleonline.com/may-oyb/?version=63&startmmdd=0101

May 2, 2024

(Mat 5:10) Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

CNA109 years after genocide, Armenia faces another existential threat

VIA Christian Alliance League: God chose Armenia to be the first nation to embrace Christianity and spread it to the world. This happened back in the 4th century A.D. Since then, these Christians have faced tough times, especially from nearby empires.

1. In the year 301 A.D., King Tiridates III made Christianity the official religion of this land. But that didn't stop persecution. Christians still suffered violence and death.

2. In the following centuries, this Christian country was controlled by enemies who persecuted Christians even more. Many were killed for sticking to their faith in Christ.

3. In 1915, the Ottoman Turks committed the Armenian Genocide. Around 1.5 million Christians were dead, and many others were forced out of their homes.

4. More recently, in Artsakh, over 120,000 Christians were ethnically cleansed their homes after a 9 month blockade.

Despite all this suffering, these Christians stayed strong in their faith. Their resilience shows Christianity's ability to survive and thrive, even in tough times. They still face attacks today, especially in places like Tavush, from Turkey and Azerbaijan. As Christians, we should support them in their fight for their faith and their homeland..

NCRDon’t Forget the Armenia Refugees of Artsakh

Living in the constant motion of a 24/7 news cycle inevitably pushes certain headlines off the front page. In recent months, that has been the plight of tens of thousands of Armenia refugees flung out of the Nagorno-Karabakh region. In September, neighboring Azerbaijan, an Islamic nation, invaded Armenia and blockaded what Armenians call Artsakh. The region has been a locus of ongoing conflict since the fall of the Soviet Union, but events took a significant turn with the 2023 Azerbaijan offensive.

The result was a massive upheaval for those who call Artsakh home. Since then, fleeing Armenians — the vast majority of whom are Christian — have endured the constant threat of danger and the deprivation that followed.

American diplomat Sam Brownback, a Catholic, called the invasion and offensive a “religious cleansing” against Armenian Christians.

About 90% of the Armenian population as a whole is Christian, according to the U.S. State Department, most of whom are Orthodox, and fewer than 10% Catholic. Armenians proudly call their homeland “the first Christian nation,” referring to King Tiridates III proclaiming Christianity the official religion of the Kingdom of Armenia at the beginning of the fourth century. The Armenian Apostolic Church’s Etchmiadzin Cathedral is frequently cited as the oldest Christian church in the world. Pope Francis visited the historic site in 2016.

When Pope St. John Paul II traveled to Armenia in September 2001 to commemorate the 1,700th anniversary of Christianity in Armenia, he said, “A striking feature of this land are the many crosses in the form of the khachkar, testifying to your steadfast fidelity to the Christian faith.” A khachkar is a specifically Armenian artistic representation of the cross, typically as a free-standing stone monument.

Azerbaijan has routinely led pogroms of destruction against the khachkar over the decades.

POPE FRANCIS: “Your Beatitude, dear Brothers,” Pope Francis said, “how can we not turn our thoughts to Armenia, not only in words but above all in our prayers, particularly for all those fleeing Nagorno-Karabakh and for the many displaced families seeking refuge?”

“The First World War,” he continued, “was supposed to be the last …Yet since then, how many conflicts and massacres have we witnessed, always tragic and always pointless?”

“Let us all take up the cry for peace,” the Pope urged, “so that it may touch hearts, even hearts untouched by the sufferings of the poor and lowly. And above all, let us pray. I pray for you and for Armenia.”

The Desert Fathers: sayings of the Early Christian Monks: Discretion

111. Another hermit said, 'A man ought always to be working at something in his cell. If he is busy with the psalms, the devil comes to him day after day but finds no resting-place there; even if he succeeds in conquering him and taking him prisoner, God's spirit often comes to him again. But if we are sinners and do not let God's spirit come to us, he will leave us alone.'

Prayer request?  Send an email to: PrayerR...@aol.com