VIRTUAL TOUR – The National Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa

1 view

William Zambrano MD

Aug 26, 2021, 11:23:34 AM8/26/21
to Tribulation Times

See inside and outside of our beautiful Shrine using 360 virtual tour.

Visit the Main Church, Lower Church (Chapel of Our Lady of Czestochowa), St. John Paul II Statue, Visitor Center Building (with Religious Article Center and Cafeteria), the historic Barn Chapel, Cemetery, Retreat House, Candle Chapel and more!

Our Lady of Czestochowa’s feast day is August 26.

Behind our altar hangs the image of the Blessed Virgin Mary with the Infant Jesus. This is a copy of the precious icon from the monastery of Jasna Gora (Hill of Light) in Czestochowa, Poland. It has been revered for centuries as a priceless relic connected with the life of the Holy Family. It is said that the portrait was painted by St. Luke the Evangelist on a cypress wood tabletop made by the carpenter St. Joseph and used by the Holy Family.

In 1430, Bohemian Hussites overran the monastery and vandalized the painting, breaking it into three pieces. The painting was taken to Krakow, where it was restored. Unfortunately, the restorers were unable to cover the two gashes on the right cheek of the Virgin. The image of the Madonna is sometimes referred to as the Black Madonna. This darkening of the image comes from centuries of soot and smoke from candles lit in prayers near the icon. The icon is now covered with gold and jewels, gifts donated by the faithful in thanksgiving for their answered prayers.

Prayer to Our Lady

Holy Mother of Czestochowa, thou art full of grace, goodness and mercy. I consecrate to thee all my thoughts, words and actions, my soul and body. I beseech thy blessings and especially prayers for my salvation. Today, I consecrate myself to thee, Good Mother, totally with body and soul amid joy and sufferings to obtain, for myself and others, Thy blessings on this earth and eternal life in Heaven. Amen.

More: http://catholictradition.org/Mary/czesto.htm