Re: [TAR] Need a new meeting space - any suggestions?

Pete Soper

Apr 24, 2013, 9:04:09 PM4/24/13
to triangle...@yahoogroups.com, Ken Boone, Triangle Arduino
Hi Ken,
�� The Wake County library folks have not given me a thumbs up or down for using the room in Morrisville on the 1st Monday (the 6th) for a get together for our groups as a temporary measure. I'll bother them tomorrow to try to get a decision. Your proposal and the IEEE proposal are very welcome from my standpoint.

Regards,
Pete

On 04/24/2013 08:55 PM, Ken Boone wrote:
�

I'll add my two bits.

�

I liked NCSU centennial campus because you could always find parking. That is not the case on the main campus. Unless the parking and security have changed we could always park and get into the building if you knew the right door to enter.

I also like the idea of interfacing with the three on campus robotics groups and being at a location that students can easily attend without having to drive.

�

I have been mulling around an additional idea. I would consider many of the technical groups in the triangle area are composed of Makers. Maybe have a Quarterly joint meeting for just Makers to describe their current projects and group brainstorming to help. We would need a limited time for each project.

�

I have been thinking of possible TAR club project ideas:

First I have three large kid riding toys each with two driven wheels. Remind you of anything on Mars? I bought them at a yard sale with building a version of the two middle rovers (Opportunity like) in mind. The rover could be plenty strong enough to let small children actually ride it. It would be a big hit at Robot Rumble.

�

The second idea i have been batting around is a small robot that would simulate a fire fighters assistance robot. The robot would be remote operated with possibly stereo vision (mono vision at first). The robot would have sensors so it would detect/avoid objects and have sensor readings overlaid on the color video. Sensed flames would also be overlaid on the video in red.

�

Recently i have been batting around a one half size fire fighting robot contest using modified rules of the Trinity contest with everything half size. �Four by four foot arena and 6� cubed robots.� A lot easier size arena to use at home to practice and to carry around.

�

It was too late to help the Raleigh Tech Shop but there was a great series of articles in May Popular Mechanics on Micro-manufacturing (small manufacturing businesses). One of the examples is a Raleigh man that used Raleigh Tech Shop for making his products.

�

Since we had such short notice maybe TAR can meet at my house this Monday.

�

The house and the Robotorium is a mess but I thought I would throw out the invite.� Only regular TAR meeting attendees please and contact me for the address.� Please don�t post the address.� Email me direct with how to contact you if you are interested in coming.

�

Ken

�
�
__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

.

__,_._,___

paul celmer

Apr 25, 2013, 1:28:14 PM4/25/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Now that Techshop has died I might have more time for electronics. I
have a question:

I see that radio shack has many arduino parts. I have an arduino uno and
the motor controller shield. I want to build a robot with a 12V DC motor
that will change speed based on how high it is lifted above the controller.

I think I need to purchase the altimeter chip and the wireless shield.
How hard will it be to program the motor to respond to the change in
height? Can I do this with the micro Arduino? Do I need to buy anything
else?

Thanks,

Paul
www.igaaks.com

Andy Barnhart

Apr 25, 2013, 1:42:20 PM4/25/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
You will need a motor controller and the type you need will depend on exactly what sort of motor you use.

Jeff Highsmith

Apr 25, 2013, 1:43:49 PM4/25/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com

Paul,

The Parallax altimeter module uses I2C, which is supported by the ATMega32U4 on the Arduino Micro.

What sort of resolution do you desire? The Parallax altitude sensor module MS5607 datasheet specifies 20cm resolution. If you need to reflect finer changes in height than that, you may be able to work infrared or sonar (or both) distance sensors facing the floor or ceiling (or both) into your design.  People have also interfaced Nintendo Wiimotes to Arduinos, but I suspect that's a bit more involved.

Jeff :)

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

Pete Soper

Apr 26, 2013, 11:05:33 AM4/26/13
to Carl Nobile, triangle...@yahoogroups.com, Triangle Arduino
Hi Carl,

The application for the room at Western Wake regional library in Morrisville that I hand-delivered days ago still hasn't been processed. I just got off the phone with someone who really wanted to help, but he couldn't,  as and the two people in charge of this highly complex and secretive process are not at the library today.

So, with respect to a temporary joint meeting in Morrisville this Monday night: FERGETABOUTIT.

I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

-Pete

On 04/26/2013 09:04 AM, Carl Nobile wrote:

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to the area, so I'll have to depend on you guys to find a place. We may want to find something for the sixth of May even if it is temporary, and make the first order of business a discussion on a permanent place from all the suggestions that have been made. What I fear most is inaction causing the club will die.

Carl

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Grayson Randall <gra...@insightrobots.com> wrote:

Very little is required of you by the IEEE.

I expect that the TAR officer(s) would need to join IEEE.  There is an EXCOM (Executive Committee) meeting once a month that the officer(s) are urged to attend.  This EXCOM meeting is where all the IEEE chapters and committees meet to do global planning and resource discussions.

For the members, IEEE does not require that you are an IEEE member to attend IEEE meetings.  We would hope that the TAR members would join IEEE, but it is not required.  That would be totally at the option of the individual.  It would not impact anybody from attending the meetings.

There is no reason that we cannot establish the meeting night as the first Monday of each month as you have done for years.  I would be glad to do that.

As an IEEE group, the IEEE will cover the refreshments for meetings.  There is also significant funding opportunities available for projects, especially if it is STEM related.

And as an IEEE member, there is a multitude of resources and benefits available to the group and to individual members. http://www.ieee.org/index.html

I know I am biased…. But I see little downside and significant upside to merging these groups.  I look forward to working with you all to answer any concerns.

Grayson Randall

g.ra...@ieee.org       919-612-0481

IEEE ENCS Robotics and Automation Chapter Chair

IEEE-USA Committee on Communications Policy

Apr 26, 2013, 11:07:25 AM4/26/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com, Triangle Arduino, triangle...@yahoogroups.com, Carl Nobile

The earthfare in briar creek has a meeting space that's usually available. I'll have to dig up details but I was looking at it as an alternative to my DC919 meetup. Stay tuned.

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

Jason Stewart

Apr 26, 2013, 11:37:15 AM4/26/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
Durham County libraries have some nice conference rooms that are free for non-profit groups. They even have an online reservation system.

Pete Soper

Apr 26, 2013, 12:30:28 PM4/26/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com, Triangle Area Robotic
I've been compressing time lately and for a few hours this morning I
thought this Monday is the 6th (and so, apparently, did the library guy
I phoned when I said ".... reservation for this Monday the 6th.")

So there's still time left to get the Morrisville library room and put
out proper notice.

Alternatives should naturally get consideration. The Morrisville option,
if it pans out, is most definitely a one shot deal.

Sorry for the confusion.

-Pete

Paul Celmer

Apr 27, 2013, 5:39:38 PM4/27/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for the help!

Another question--
Has anyone developed a software interface that would allow dynamic control of voltages at the pins?

In other words, could I use a slider or keyboard input to instantly change the output voltage of one or more pins?

Thanks!

Paul

Shannon Code

Apr 27, 2013, 5:43:42 PM4/27/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com, triangl...@googlegroups.com

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

Pete Soper

Apr 28, 2013, 12:19:55 PM4/28/13
On 04/27/2013 05:39 PM, Paul Celmer wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help!

Another question--
Has anyone developed a software interface that would allow dynamic control of voltages at the pins?

In other words, could I use a slider or keyboard input to instantly change the output voltage of one or more pins?

Do you have an Arduino Due? It has a digital to analog converter that would allow you to do this in the most straight forward way.

If you have a more typical Arduino here's a nice survey: http://embeddednewbie.blogspot.com/2011/02/review-of-arduino-dac-solutions.html

-Pete

Thanks!

Paul

paul celmer

Apr 29, 2013, 8:53:12 AM4/29/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com

> I have figured out how to control a moter with my arduino uno and the
> motor shield! Has anyone tried any of the Apps that allow you to
> control Arduino via the iphone? I like Ardumote, and it works with the
> ethernet sheild, but I am wondering if it works with the wifi shield.....

Thanks,

Paul

Tom Karches

Apr 29, 2013, 3:49:55 PM4/29/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
FYI, Radio Shack has various Arduino parts on clearance. Got a seeed labs proto shield for $7.95 and an Arduino brand proto shield for $9.99. Some of the Velleman kits are on sale/clearance also.

--tom

Tom Karches
tkar...@gmail.com