BeagleBone Black released

RQDQ

Apr 23, 2013, 4:16:46 PM4/23/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com

John Vaughters

Apr 23, 2013, 5:17:10 PM4/23/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
It just keeps getting cheaper and better! This is incredible.

Shannon Code

Apr 23, 2013, 5:17:57 PM4/23/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com, triangl...@googlegroups.com

+1

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

mag...@yonderway.com

Apr 23, 2013, 5:24:47 PM4/23/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
I have the original Beaglebone and I'm not impressed. Not much effort was
put into a mainstream stable Linux platform for it so it was very crashy.
If you're accustomed to any mainstream Linux distro, the Angstrom distro
that they bundle with it has a bit of a learning curve and at the end of
the day it's still crashy.

I don't have the RPi yet but with the commitment to first class software
support it may be the better value in that sphere right now.

-M

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:16:46 -0700 (PDT), RQDQ <rich.qua...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> For $45 it packs quite a lot of functionality
>
> [image: BeagleBone Black]

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/154100-beaglebone-black-raspberry-pi-and-arduino-on-a-single-board-for-just-45

John Vaughters

Apr 24, 2013, 8:34:55 AM4/24/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
I have heard good things about Angstrom, but no matter, I feel confident the main stream distributions will be coming soon. At the end of the day, it is linux, so the learning curve cannot be too bad.The Hardware included looks amazing to me for the price.

I am very interested in this device. Thanks for posting it.

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: [trianglearduino:967] BeagleBone Black released

wrote:
> For $45 it packs quite a lot of functionality
>
> [image: BeagleBone Black]

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/154100-beaglebone-black-raspberry-pi-and-arduino-on-a-single-board-for-just-45

Shannon Code

Apr 24, 2013, 8:38:47 AM4/24/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com, triangl...@googlegroups.com

Did anyone pick up any before they sold out everywhere?

Also the cubieboard looks awesome at $50 http://cubieboard.org/

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

John Vaughters

Apr 24, 2013, 8:44:52 AM4/24/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
What I find interesting about the new Beagle is the two Real-Time processing that is seperate from the main processor. I have not seen any other solution do something like that. It makes it super interesting for Robotics.

Shannon Code

Apr 24, 2013, 8:47:10 AM4/24/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com, triangl...@googlegroups.com

John here's a similar one I've been watching that adds one microprocessor the arduino :

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

John Vaughters

Apr 24, 2013, 9:07:51 AM4/24/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
The combination is a logical step. Clearly many already join a small computer with Ardunino, so it is very smart to just create a board with that feature. I myself thought about that many years ago, so I am glad to see this push forward. Many years ago I bought a ELLK with the full intention of combining Arduinos and the combination would be over $100, now it seems you can get two arduinos and a linux based processor for $45 bucks.

Simply Awesome!

I keep telling people that the next revolution in technology is coming from open hardware and electronics in general, ie robotics. It reminds me of the pre-PC days. Back when Microsoft and Apple was just a few guys hacking. Now is a little different. We have collaboration that could not have even been dreamed of back then.

These are very interesting times.

Thanks for the links,

John Vaughters

Andy Barnhart

Apr 24, 2013, 9:10:33 AM4/24/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
There are "main stream" alternatives now - Android and Ubuntu distros are readily available for the current BB. I am using Angstrom, but I just want minimal UI and life support for an embedded project. I have experienced nothing but rock solid operation using sockets, multi-threading, curl and file system (for pins and for actual files via SQLlite).

Pete Soper

Apr 24, 2013, 3:43:31 PM4/24/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
Another data point on the "if you buy it, wait a short while and you'll regret it" graph. Not that I have any need for gigaflops, but this may of interest to others:

http://www.geek.com/chips/a-99-linux-supercomputer-has-been-built-will-ship-this-summer-1552343/

-Pete

RQDQ

Apr 24, 2013, 3:46:31 PM4/24/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
I haven't been able to pick one up but I have a specific project in mind for it that I had previously planned on using a Raspberry and Adruino for.  When I saw this it was a no-brainer to consider this one heavily.

John Vaughters

Apr 24, 2013, 4:20:52 PM4/24/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
It is interesting, parallel computing has it's usage, but I do not have a need to crunch some serious numbers. That might change if I start considering vision systems. Still none the less, tools in the right hands produces incredible results. I chalk this up to the same statement I made earlier.

We are living in interesting times with regards to computing and electronics. The Robotic age is right around the corner, imagine what we will have in just ten more years.

Shannon Code

Apr 26, 2013, 1:45:13 PM4/26/13
to Triangle Arduino Discussion Group
adafruit has them (BeagleBone black) in stock!

John Vaughters

Apr 26, 2013, 2:31:11 PM4/26/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
I am so facinated with the PRU concept and how to use it. Gonna be some good reading here.