Request for comments: Supercomputing for the Raspberry Pi

Charles West

May 28, 2013, 12:03:55 AM5/28/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm working on an idea for a way to make it really easy to offload computationally intensive command line programs from the Raspberry Pi to a server/set of cloud services.  Hopefully this will enable embedded devices and robots to do things that they normally find pretty difficult, such as face recognition.

I have a really bare bones version of the code completed, so I thought it might be good to show it to people and see if anyone thinks it might be useful for something they want to do.  The code is open source and posted on my site.

The concept is attached and the URL is in the pdf.  I also posted it on the Pi forums here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=45230

If I may ask, what do you think?

Thanks,
Charlie West
FirstReleaseDemoAnnouncement.pdf

Carl Nobile

May 31, 2013, 6:41:44 PM5/31/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you sooner, but I was away for a few days.

This sounds very interesting. I could see this being done with a RESTful web service, the only down side I see in off loading this type of processing is the network latency that would always be there and of cause the SkyNet issue.

One of the things I do professionally is RESTful web services, so I would love to see something like this evolve. I haven't been able to read your entire PDF yet, but will try to read it over the weekend.

Stay in touch and let us all know how it evolves.

Carl

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
carl....@gmail.com
338.gif