organizational details

Pete Soper

May 25, 2013, 1:52:02 PM5/25/13
to Triangle Arduino
Folks,
There will be a meeting Monday, June 10, from 7-9pm at NCSU. Details
to follow.

Seth Hollar, Associate Director of the Engineering Entrepreneurs
Program at NCSU, took us under his wing after Charlie West mentioned our
meeting place plight with the closing of TechShop. I'm happy to report
that thanks to Seth and Charlie the "2nd Monday" meetings can continue.

I think now would be a good time to move ahead with a name change,
domain registration, and email list change that we'd almost decided on
before the TechShop figurative roof fell on us.

To recap:

* The folks associated with the trianglearduino Google group
constitute a very informal organization, held together by the list email
(161 subscribers) and face to face "2nd Monday evening" and "3rd
Saturday afternoon" meetings (the latter being held at Splat Space). The
"leaders" of this organization for the past year are simply the folks
who have made it a point to facilitate meetings and keep the list
running, including, but not limited to:
Paul MacDougal, Scott Hall, Pete Soper and Justis Peters
Joe Diver, Geoff Tattersfield, Jim Pfister, and others at Splat Space

* The group name has been inappropriately narrow "forever", as
folks are as likely to be working with some other flavor of single board
computer or of chip, open or proprietary embedded software systems,
etc, as with "Arduino." Discussion last month culminated in the name
"TriEmbed" being proposed as something short and inclusive. (see email
with subject "Proposed name and move" for the full discussion). The .org
version of this domain is available.

* The "owner" of the Google group moved away and we've been unable
to reach him to arrange a means of getting full control of the group
administration. This plus other drawbacks make a move to a GNU Mailman
list attractive.

I propose registering the domain and setting up a new list
corresponding to the current google group with the same subscribers and
admin assignments (omitting those no longer in the area and inviting
interested parties to volunteer as admins and/or moderators). The domain
registration and list details and responsibilities would be shared and
regular backups of the list mail would be maintained to avoid being
hosed by any one person dropping out of the picture. The appropriate
notification/redirection work to go along with this would be on the
list, of course.

Finally, as I wrote last earlier, it would be up to others to create
a web presence beyond a single simple page similar to what we have now,
but I think these initial steps will be worthwhile.

Shall we proceed?

Regards,
Pete

Jeff Highsmith

May 25, 2013, 1:59:18 PM5/25/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
I second/concur with Pete.

Jeff :)

Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

Charles West

May 25, 2013, 2:24:12 PM5/25/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good.

Carl Nobile

May 25, 2013, 3:47:57 PM5/25/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me also.
Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
carl....@gmail.com

Ron Craig

May 26, 2013, 12:30:58 AM5/26/13
to triangl...@googlegroups.com
I agree.  I'm happy to help with web page content.