Ecology and Evolution Seminar Series at NCSU-Spring 2014

Amy Savage

Nov 4, 2013, 12:05:39 PM11/4/13
to triangle_ee...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

As many of you know, the newly formed Department of Biological Sciences is currently organizing an Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Focus Area. To launch the cluster, there will be funding in Spring 2014 to bring in big named Ecologists and Evolutionary Biologists for seminars. Brian Langerhans, the faculty lead for the cluster, has solicited our help in generating a list of potential speakers for this seminar series. Here is what Brian told us:

 'The goal here is to bring in big names in E&E that will draw interest from other “clusters,” or potentially other departments, to really establish ourselves.'

We are in a real time crunch, since established scientists tend to have limited time to visit other schools and give seminars. So, he has given us until Friday, November 8th (this Friday) to submit our seminar speaker wish list.

I tried to take a stab at starting a list of potentials. Of course, my list is biased in the areas of Community and Urban Ecology. You can find the worksheet by following the link below. Please add names of other speakers to our list. Also, it would be good to know if there are people on the list that multiple post-docs are interested in seeing. So, just add a vote to the far right column if you want to see that person come to NCSU as part of this seminar series.

Also, please let me know if the link doesn't work. This is the first time that I've tried sharing a Google Doc with a group, rather than an individual.

Cheers,

Amy

Amy Savage

Nov 7, 2013, 9:41:25 AM11/7/13
to triangle_ee...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

This email is just a reminder that today is the last day to vote for potential seminar speakers. It would be great if you could take a moment to review the list and vote for people that other people suggested, even if you don't have anyone in mind that you would like to see.

Thanks so much,

Amy
--
Amy M. Savage
Post-Doctoral Scholar

Emily Griffiths

Jan 7, 2014, 12:03:41 PM1/7/14
to triangle_ee...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

The Triangle Ecology and Evolution Group is growing and planning two exciting events for 2014. We have also gained both verbal and financial support from the NC State University departments of Entomology and Biological Sciences and the interdisciplinary group Genetic Engineering and Society.

We are currently recruiting a Treasurer for the Triangle EEB Postdoc Group, in order manage the budget for our upcoming events. The Treasurer will maintain shared documents of income and expenditure, and liaise with other organizers and NCSU finance staff. This will be invaluable experience for those wanting to hone and prove their organizational, managerial, and budgetary skills, which will be invaluable for your future career. The Treasurer will have a shining line on their CV!

If you are interested in volunteering please email your CV and a short paragraph about why you should be Finance Officer to Amy Savage: amsa...@ncsu.edu

Cheers,

Emily