Biomath seminar tomorrow afternoon at NC State

Emily Griffiths

Mar 31, 2014, 1:09:46 PM3/31/14
to triangle_ee...@googlegroups.com
For those interested in modeling the following two NCSU Biomath seminars may be of interest. If you want to attend and are not familiar with Cox Hall I would be happy to help you navigate.

Best wishes,

Emily

Begin forwarded message:

From: Alun Lloyd <alun_...@ncsu.edu>
Subject: [bma_seminar] - Biomath seminar tomorrow:
Date: March 31, 2014 at 1:04:27 PM EDT

At 4:15pm tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday April 1st), in Cox 306, we shall have a biomath seminar:

Charlotte Lee
Scholar in Residence, Biology Department, Duke University

Inherent demographic stability in mutualist-resource-exploiter interactions

Also, advance notice of next week's seminar:
Jeremy van Cleve, National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent)
Bet-hedging and the evolution of adaptive plasticity
4:15pm, 4/8/14, Cox 306

I hope to see you there.

Alun Lloyd

The ubiquity of natural mutualisms has challenged ecological theory,
which predicts that mutualisms should experience destabilizing positive
feedback, and should be vulnerable to extinction through competitive
exclusion by less-mutualistic exploiter species.  Using an explicitly
demographic approach, focused on resource demographic responses to
mutualistic and exploitative partners, I show that indirect,
demography-mediated interactions between mutualists and exploiters can
both ensure mutualist-exploiter coexistence and also stabilize the
abundances of mutualists, exploiters, and their shared resources.  This
can occur in both long-lasting, exclusive interactions such as
residential mutualisms, and in instantaneous mutualistic interactions
such as pollination.  The key necessary factors, demographic responses
to interspecific interaction and demographic structure, are common in
natural populations.  Thus, the explicitly demographic approach and
broad, multispecies perspective taken here constitute a potentially
promising unified explanation for the apparent stability of mutualism in
nature.

.
.
.
If you need assistance in getting removed from the list please
send email to sysa...@stat.ncsu.edu