Pastries, if not Gugelhupf, where?

Bill Falconer

Oct 12, 2005, 3:50:23 PM10/12/05
In the thread on coffee shops there were a few negative comments on
Gugelhupf pastries. I've eaten them at their own location and thought
they were very good.
Where else can you find good - or better - baked goods in the area? ( I
grew up in Montreal - a long while back - where there seemed to be as
many fine pastry shops as banks.)How about some recommendations? Thanks.

Bill

Peter Aitken

Oct 12, 2005, 4:44:23 PM10/12/05
"Bill Falconer" <falco...@webtv.net> wrote in message

They are the best in the area, IMO. Some of the negative comments reflect
the fact that they are European style, and some poeple do not like that.
They prefer the sweeter gooeyer style that seems to be more the American
style.

--
Peter Aitken

Brent Harsh

Oct 12, 2005, 7:23:41 PM10/12/05
Bill Falconer wrote:

I also thought Gugelhopf was very fine (they're just really far
from me). La Farm bakery in Cary (on Cary Parkway near High
House) gets my vote for the closest good bakery to this side of
RTP. We've gotten croissants and baguettes from each and have
been happy.

--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign: Say
bharsh at ncroadrunner \ / NO to HTML in email and news.

Donna Maroni

Oct 12, 2005, 8:04:23 PM10/12/05
Obviously, Gugelhopf has a substantial following. I guess I'm not
surprised since the majority of people probably have only the stuff turned
out by supermarket for comparison.

For my money, La Farm's pastries are very much better than Gugelhopf's .
La Farm's products are European-style; so, it is obviously not that I
prefer American-style gooey/sweet stuff. I also think their breads and
rolls are way better than Gugelhopf's.

Weaver Street's pastry chefs turn out a lot of superior things too; both
pastries and breads outscore those from Gugelhopf.

In fact, because I lived in German and have spent a lot of time in both
France and Italy, I have a good basis for comparison amongst European
pastries from various sources. In such a comparison, Gugelhopf simply
comes in dead last.

Donna

Peter Aitken

Oct 12, 2005, 8:29:03 PM10/12/05
"Donna Maroni" <dma...@email.unc.edu> wrote in message

It's Guglhupf.

You may not realize this, but it is blatantly obvious from your postings
that you have some psychological issue with Guglhupf. There's no other
possible reason for you to devote so much energy to running them down.
Unless, of course, you just have abysmally bad taste. Or maybe it's both?

Matt Johnson

Oct 12, 2005, 10:34:29 PM10/12/05
If you've not tried Gugelhupf, you really need to. Your palette and
sensabilities will be the judge. I would bet 2/3 of you will think it is the
best around.

That said, personally:

A) I am not a huge fan of their deserts... although they are beautifully
presented and rather tasty, I do find them to bee too sweet and a bit
"manufactured" seeming.

B) Their breads are without equal in this (or most areas). The only US bakery
which has them beat in my experience is the famous Ecce Panne in NYC upper east
side. They can hold their own against most better bakeries in europe.

C) Their croissants are the best I have found in the Triangle. You do need to
get them fresh, though. Their half-life is 4 hours I think.

D) great cafe. Their cheesplate is notable.

E) one word: bretzles

nau...@nil.com

Oct 13, 2005, 6:46:33 AM10/13/05
Donna Maroni <dma...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> Obviously, Gugelhopf has a substantial following. I guess I'm not
> surprised since the majority of people probably have only the stuff turned
> out by supermarket for comparison.

<stuff snipped>

No point in arguing your taste. It is what it is. But I'm also reasonably
well travelled, to Europe in particular, and I find Guglhupf to be
first-rate. It's by far my favorite place for baked goods and pastries
around here. I assure you I'm not comparing to just the supermarket fare.

Mike Babyak

kuze...@duke.edu

Oct 13, 2005, 7:19:42 AM10/13/05
Brent Harsh <dbhp...@northcarolina.rr.com> wrote:
> Bill Falconer wrote:

> from me). La Farm bakery in Cary (on Cary Parkway near High
> House) gets my vote for the closest good bakery to this side of

La Farm also does pastries that make my wife go crazy. :-)
Their tarts are really great--though I'd rather have a
crusty baguette than any pastry. :-)

Donna Maroni

Oct 13, 2005, 8:23:39 AM10/13/05
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Peter Aitken wrote:

> You may not realize this, but it is blatantly obvious from your postings
> that you have some psychological issue with Guglhupf. There's no other
> possible reason for you to devote so much energy to running them down.
> Unless, of course, you just have abysmally bad taste. Or maybe it's both?

I guess that shut me up! I simply hadn't realized I was displaying my
personality problems so obviously.

Donna

sas...@wnt.sas.com

Oct 13, 2005, 9:55:10 AM10/13/05
I also find Gugelhupf the best bakery around. It even compares
favorably to one of the best bakeries in Chicago, the Swedish bakery.
I like La Farm bakery baked goods well enough, but to my tastes it
does not come close to Gugelhupf's. I grew up in Eastern Europe, and
I'm also reasonably well traveled. To me, Gugelhupf's breads and
sweets are first-rate, and compare well to anything I had in Austria
and Germany. Weaver street market, La Farm and even Gourmandises de
France breads are not as good. I think people who prefer more Italian
and French style breads like La Farm better. But I was raised on more
eastern european/german-type breads, and Gugelhupf is it.
I just love their Black Forest bread.

This is my order of preference for the local bakeries:
1. Gugelhupf
2. Gourmandises de France
3. Weaver street market
4. La Farm

P.S. I think Gourmandises de France has the best croissants around.

Joshua Baker-LePain

Oct 13, 2005, 10:21:59 AM10/13/05

I'm not the biggest fan of Guglhupf myself. I don't know what it is,
they just don't do it for me. Maybe it's an ethnic bias -- I grew up in
the northeast with lots of great Italian bakeries, and the only European
travel we've done is to Italy.

We don't go out for pastries much (I bake a lot, and it's hard to beat
home-made), but we've enjoyed the pastries at George's Garage on 9th St. in
Durham. We used to go there early in the morning on the weekend (before the
place really gets going) and get 'em fresh. As of a few years ago, at least,
it seemed that the head pastry chef was French. Decent coffee too.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

cra...@unc.edu

Oct 13, 2005, 2:37:15 PM10/13/05
Donna Maroni <dma...@email.unc.edu> wrote:

: Donna

Don't mind him; I don't think much of his taste in restaurants. On the
other hand the deli plates and tarts I've had to g have been great. Where
is La Farm?

Donna Maroni

Oct 13, 2005, 6:53:59 PM10/13/05
Cramer asked:

> Where is La Farm?

4248 Cary Pkwy, Cary

More info here:

http://www.lafarmbakery.com/store/index.html

verche...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2019, 10:17:10 AM9/26/19
Hello to Montrealers,
Helpe me to find a kasher bakery, making and selling a GUGELHOPF...(a sort of brioche...) originally from Alsace and Rheinland areas.
Thank you, Danke schoen, Merci

verche...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2019, 10:20:39 AM9/26/19
Ah ah That is a good question, WHERE TO FIND IN MONTREAL, a Kasher GUGELHOFP ?
Originaly this type of Brioche, wes from Alsace and Rheinland areas. Jewish bakeries in Montreal, used to make them often....but not anymore...
P Bernheim