OT: where can I buy pizza dough?

Dot Proulx

Nov 12, 2004, 11:13:47 AM11/12/04
I like to make my own pizzas, but I don't always have time to make the
dough. Does anyone know where I can buy either fresh or frozen pizza
dough, --not the semi-cooked kind you can get at the grocery store--
and preferably in Durham or Chapel Hill?

kuze...@duke.edu

Nov 12, 2004, 1:48:43 PM11/12/04
Dot Proulx <dorothy...@sas.com> wrote:
> I like to make my own pizzas, but I don't always have time to make the
> dough. Does anyone know where I can buy either fresh or frozen pizza

One of those "gourmet pizza" places used to sell dough--I never
used it but a friend said it was good. I don't recall which one
but you might try a few phone calls.

Our own latest quick pseudo-pizza-crust: My wife got some
huge pitas at Neomonde--about the size of a large pizza crust.
We've found that they make GREAT pseudo-pizzas. It helps if
the toppings aren't too wet, and they cook best at very high
temp but a shorter time than a regular crust. They're darned
good, IMO, and preparation time is as short as taking one out
of the freezer, putting it on a pizza pan, and putting on the
toppings.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD kuzen001 at acpub .duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

Joshua Baker-LePain

Nov 12, 2004, 3:35:30 PM11/12/04

IIRC, Satisfactions in Durham (in Brightleaf) sells pizza dough.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

Heather Jones

Nov 12, 2004, 3:44:18 PM11/12/04
Dude! It wasn't me! It was Dot Proulx who wrote:
: I like to make my own pizzas, but I don't always have time to make the

: dough. Does anyone know where I can buy either fresh or frozen pizza
: dough, --not the semi-cooked kind you can get at the grocery store--
: and preferably in Durham or Chapel Hill?

My local Lowes Foods sells it in the freezer section near the bakery
department -- they also have cakes and such in there, I think. IIRC, it
used to be kept refrigerated in the cheese case... I've never tried it,
but I've seen it, and it seems like a better option than the tube kind
pillsbury makes or the semi-cooked ones.

--heather

--
Heather Jones heather_jones(at)pobox(dot)com
http://www.haphazard.org http://www.savorysecrets.com

Jo

Nov 12, 2004, 4:06:00 PM11/12/04
Wholefoods on Wade Avenue carries it.

Jo

"Dot Proulx" <dorothy...@sas.com> wrote in message

Bryan C. Andregg

Nov 12, 2004, 4:10:55 PM11/12/04
In article <cn2nfr$33e$1...@license1.unx.sas.com>, Dot Proulx wrote:

Whole Foods has balls of pizza dough in their freezer cases.

--
Bryan C. Andregg Duke University Medical Center
Programmer Dept. of Anesthesiology

Doug Cutler

Nov 12, 2004, 4:44:25 PM11/12/04
I have gotten it at Peppers in Chapel Hill.
Doug

Jim Toering

Nov 12, 2004, 4:29:12 PM11/12/04
NY Pizza has sold me dough before.
They have a location on Harrison (right across from SAS) and one at 55/Davis
Drive.

Justin

Nov 13, 2004, 12:46:15 AM11/13/04

"Dot Proulx" <dorothy...@sas.com> wrote in message

Ask a local pizza shop that you like. They'll usually sell you a ball or two
pretty cheap.

Carla Townsend

Nov 13, 2004, 9:31:29 AM11/13/04
Conti's Italian Market on Person Street in downtown Raleigh has great pizza dough.

scrape

Nov 13, 2004, 10:17:50 AM11/13/04

Capital Creations - several locations in Raleigh and Cary.

Remsleep

Nov 13, 2004, 2:57:30 PM11/13/04

"Dot Proulx" <dorothy...@sas.com> wrote in message

Others have already pointed out that you can buy frozen dough at Whole
Foods. I use the Cook's Illustrated pizza crust recipe, which makes three
medium sized pizzas. I usually freeze two of the dough balls in ziploc
bags. The results are excellent and the recipe has the advantage of being
done almost entirely in the food processor. I'll post it if you like.

Remsleep

Raleighgirl

Nov 13, 2004, 5:48:15 PM11/13/04

"Remsleep" <reply@this_newsgroup.ok> wrote in message
\ I use the Cook's Illustrated pizza crust recipe, which makes
three
| medium sized pizzas. I'll post it if you like.

Yes please!
Raleighgirl

| Remsleep

Jennifer Richards

Nov 14, 2004, 5:20:22 PM11/14/04

"Dot Proulx" <dorothy...@sas.com> wrote in message

In Chapel Hill, I've heard that Pop's will sell you dough. They're at the
Harris Teeter shopping center on Airport Road and Weaver Dairy, just South
of I40. I think it's called Chapel Hill North. Anyway, Pop's is pretty
good pizza.

Darryl L. Pierce

Nov 14, 2004, 6:25:44 PM11/14/04
Dot Proulx wrote:

There's a place in Apex on Salem Street at the intersection with Hunter.
I stopped there once for lunch and that's when I found out that they
*don't* sell pizzas but instead frozen pizza and dough.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpi...@myrealbox.com>
Visit my webpage: <http://mcpierce.multiply.com>

Remsleep

Nov 14, 2004, 10:25:31 PM11/14/04

"Raleighgirl" <jwal...@raleigh.nc.rr.com> wrote in message

You'll need an 11 cup food processor for this recipe:

1/2 cup warm water (110F)
1 envelope instant yeast
1 1/4 cups water at room temp.
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups (22 oz) bread flour plus extra for the board
1 1/2 tsp salt
Olive oil or cooking spray to oil the bowl

Measure the warm water into a 2 cup liquid measuring cup. Sprinkle in the
yeast and let stand until the yeast dissolves and swells (~5 mins). Add the
room-temp water and oil and stir to combine

Process the flour and salt in the food processor, pulsing to combine.
Continue pulsing while pouring in the liquid ingredients (holding back a few
tablespoons) through the feed tube If the dough does not readily form into
a ball, add the remaining liquid and continue to pulse until a ball forms.
Process until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 30 seconds longer.

The dough will be a bit tacky, so use a rubber spatula to turn it onto a
lightly floured work surface. Knead by hand for a few strokes to form a
smooth, round ball. Put the dough in a deep, oiled bowl and cover with
plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size, 1.5-2 hours. Press the dough
to deflate.

Makes 3 x 12 inch pizzas.

Remsleep

Raleighgirl

Nov 14, 2004, 10:46:16 PM11/14/04
Thanks!

"Remsleep" <reply@this_newsgroup.ok> wrote in message

Nathan Gilliatt

Nov 15, 2004, 8:24:26 AM11/15/04
In article <1100474865.sm+3bzG/COJrkT8L6/OC5g@teranews>,

"Darryl L. Pierce" <mcpi...@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> There's a place in Apex on Salem Street at the intersection with Hunter.
> I stopped there once for lunch and that's when I found out that they
> *don't* sell pizzas but instead frozen pizza and dough.

They're not frozen, they're fresh. And good.

-Nathan

Message has been deleted

Sue S.

Nov 15, 2004, 2:34:10 PM11/15/04
I have a tip for good Sicilian-style pizza that's made at home but in
a totally lazy way, for those days when even stretching someone else's
dough out is just too much effort.

Buy a ciabatta at Whole Foods bakery. (I'm sure there are other breads
that would work well, but I can't vouch for them.) Slice the loaf in
half longways. Drizzle cut sides with olive oil. Top with good canned
tomatoes. (I especially like the smoky flavor of Muir Glen's organic
fire-roasted crushed variety, also available at Whole Foods.) Sprinkle
with your choice of toppings and cheese. Bake in hot (450-500 F) oven
until cheese bubbles and starts to brown. Before serving, sprinkle
with fresh basil leaves and drizzle a little more olive oil on top.

Had it for dinner last night with a fresh-picked arugula salad and a
glass of red wine. It was delicious.

dookie

Nov 16, 2004, 6:31:57 PM11/16/04
Peppers (and only Peppers)! There just isn't anything else close.

dookie

Justin

Nov 16, 2004, 11:27:24 PM11/16/04
So I bought some this weekend at Conti's on this recommendation and will now
go into too much detail about it. They had several different sizes - I made
two 8-inch pizzas out of the ~$1.70 ball. The dough was excellent, very
smooth. I was able to get it really thin with no tearing, something my
homemade doughs never seem to achieve. After cooking, it had that light char
look and snap on the edges and bottom (cooked on a cheap garden stone at
550). My only gripe was that the ingredients list includes two different
types of partially hydrogenated oils.

"Carla Townsend" <CarlaT...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

kuze...@duke.edu

Nov 17, 2004, 7:04:07 AM11/17/04
Justin <jus...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> So I bought some this weekend at Conti's on this recommendation ..

> smooth. I was able to get it really thin with no tearing, something my
> homemade doughs never seem to achieve. After cooking, it had that light

One thing that made a HUGE difference in my homemade pizza
dough was using a good bread flour, not one of the general
purpose flours. "King Arthur" brand is my own favorite--
the difference between a baguette made with King Arthur and
one of the mass-market bread flours is considerable.

My own recipe for pizza dough, FWIW:

3 cups of flour in the food processor
Pinch of salt, pinch of sugar
2/3 cup of olive oil
teaspoon of quick-acting yeast

Put all that in the food processor, turn it on a low
speed, and let it run while you slowly pour in lukewarm
water. When it's just right it'll form a lovely ball.
Let it rise in an oiled bowl for an hour or so, then
form into two pizza pans and chill them while you get
the toppings and sauce ready.

Tip #2: never cook ONE pizza! If you're going to all
that work anyway, make two and put the spare in the
freezer!

Susan

Nov 17, 2004, 1:30:19 PM11/17/04
I second the recommendation for King Arthur flours. Their bread machine flour
is superb for everything I make in the bread machine and for foccacia (which should
mean it's good for pizza), and their "white wheat" has all the nutrition of classic whole
wheat flour, but a lighter flavor. I use it in pancakes and substitute it for about half
of the flour in things like banana bread and pumpkin bread. I feel like I'm getting
better nutrition without that Ewell Gibbons' "chewing on a pine cone" texture.

Lowe's carries KA bread machine and all-purpose flours, and Wellspring - oops -
Wholefoods carries the white wheat.

Susan

kuze...@duke.edu

Nov 17, 2004, 3:37:49 PM11/17/04
Susan <su...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> I second the recommendation for King Arthur flours. Their bread machine flour
> is superb for everything I make in the bread machine and for foccacia

About 10 years ago I was trying to make good baguettes, from
a Julia Child recipe. They never came out really good--until
I switched from mass-market "bread flour" to King Arthur brand.
Suddenly they were SUPERB. Just an amazing difference. KA is
a couple of bucks more than Gold Medal/Pillsbury 'bread flour'
for a 5-pound bag, but it's money well spent, IMO!

Anne Lurie

Nov 18, 2004, 5:31:30 PM11/18/04
Based on what I've seen in the King Arthur catalogue, I think their website
definitely deserves a mention:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/start/ahome/main.html

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

<kuze...@duke.edu> wrote in message

Peter Aitken

Nov 18, 2004, 6:11:06 PM11/18/04
"Anne Lurie" <alu...@nc.rr.NOSPAMcom> wrote in message

> Based on what I've seen in the King Arthur catalogue, I think their
website
> definitely deserves a mention:
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/start/ahome/main.html
>
> Anne Lurie
> NE Raleigh

Indeed! I've ordered from them many times and have never been disappointed.
The flour *does* make a difference in bread, pizza dough, etc. I am willing
to pay a bit more for excellent quality (which may help compensate for my
middling baking skills!).

--
Peter Aitken

Darryl L. Pierce

Nov 19, 2004, 6:53:48 AM11/19/04
Nathan Gilliatt wrote:

>>There's a place in Apex on Salem Street at the intersection with Hunter.
>>I stopped there once for lunch and that's when I found out that they
>>*don't* sell pizzas but instead frozen pizza and dough.
>

> They're not frozen, they're fresh. And good.

My bad. I thought they also had frozen ones on the menu.

Susan

Dec 16, 2004, 4:51:00 PM12/16/04
Having posted this a while back, I now find to my dismay that Wholefoods has stopped
carrying the King Arthur white wheat flour. Disaster! Does anyone know of any other
stores in the area that carry it? Shipping 5 pound bags of flour from the KA catalog gets
expensive fast!

Thanks,
Susan

I second the recommendation for King Arthur flours. Their bread machine flour

is superb for everything I make in the bread machine and for foccacia (which should
mean it's good for pizza), and their "white wheat" has all the nutrition of classic whole
wheat flour, but a lighter flavor. I use it in pancakes and substitute it for about half
of the flour in things like banana bread and pumpkin bread. I feel like I'm getting
better nutrition without that Ewell Gibbons' "chewing on a pine cone" texture.

Lowe's carries KA bread machine and all-purpose flours, and Wellspring - oops -
Wholefoods carries the white wheat.

Susan

Nathan Gilliatt

Dec 16, 2004, 6:58:13 PM12/16/04
In article <tm04s05sj3okilif8...@4ax.com>,
Susan <su...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Having posted this a while back, I now find to my dismay that Wholefoods has
> stopped carrying the King Arthur white wheat flour. Disaster! Does anyone
> know of any other stores in the area that carry it? Shipping 5 pound bags of
> flour from the KA catalog gets expensive fast!

I noticed KA flour in Harris Teeter last week (Cary, Kildaire Farm Rd).
Didn't notice which variety, although I *think* it said "wheat flour"
somewhere in there.

- Nathan

Randall Nortman

Dec 16, 2004, 9:16:51 PM12/16/04
On 2004-12-16, Susan <su...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Having posted this a while back, I now find to my dismay that
> Wholefoods has stopped carrying the King Arthur white wheat flour.
> Disaster! Does anyone know of any other stores in the area that
> carry it? Shipping 5 pound bags of flour from the KA catalog gets
> expensive fast!

Are you sure? I was just at the Raleigh Whole Foods (on Wade Ave) and
they had several bags. But I did notice that it's a new bag design --
not the brown paper with blue decoration I'm used to but rather a
white paper with sort of pumpkin-orange decoration, more like the bags
they've been using for their white flours for a while now. So if you
were just looking for the same old bag design, you might have missed
it.

--
Randall

Jo

Dec 17, 2004, 11:53:34 AM12/17/04
I have seen it at Kroger in Garner.

"Susan" <su...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

pak...@localhost.private.neotoma.org

Dec 17, 2004, 2:52:50 PM12/17/04
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:53:34 GMT in <iaEwd.97$Hk4....@twister.southeast.rr.com> Jo <jglass...@youpayless.com> wrote:
Sorry, off topic, but...

King Arthur Flour Hour.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidance -- Brazil

Jon Mauney

Dec 17, 2004, 3:02:56 PM12/17/04
pak...@localhost.private.neotoma.org wrote in
<slrncs6e8i...@mouse.private.neotoma.org>:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:53:34 GMT in
><iaEwd.97$Hk4....@twister.southeast.rr.com> Jo
><jglass...@youpayless.com> wrote: Sorry, off topic, but...
>
>King Arthur Flour Hour.

I have to say, that takes the Biscuit.

--
_Doctor_ Jon Mauney Oh, I'm a systems hack and I'm OK,
\__Mu__/ I work all night and I sleep all day

jmk

Dec 20, 2004, 7:46:25 AM12/20/04
Whole Foods on Wade also carries it.

--