Membership Clarification for Durham Makerspace

Ashley McClelland

Sep 9, 2010, 1:32:12 PM9/9/10
to triangle-h...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed there's a little bit of confusion on the process of obtaining keys, whether or not you're going to owe money in addition to your initial donation in order to get a key, etc. I want to make sure I attempt to clarify the flow for membership. I will also put up a clarified version for "becoming a member" on the website, once we get durham.trianglehackers.com rolling for the Durham space.

If you've already paid an initial member donation, you just need to fill out a member application and agreement (at the space), give us a *refundable* key deposit (see below), and we'll give you a keyfob for outside access to the building and a key to the space.

Note: If you plan to be a member, this means you ALSO plan to pay regular monthly dues of $50/month on a regular basis. If you have contributed initial member donation of $50-100 or more, you are a member for September and will get a key ASAP. You will still be responsible for paying October dues of $50/month to maintain 24x7 access to the space.

We have a limited number of key fobs available. You will be able to use your keyfob if you have one that is the same frequency range as the ones we are using (not sure on brand or specifics, anyone know?) We'd have to work with the property manager to program it, which would mean setting up a time with him to program the frequency in. I'll get details on that process.

Because we have a limited of key fobs and we have to pay for them, if you are a member and need a NEW keyfob, we do need a $12 refundable deposit.

But hey, guess what! If you contributed $100 this month, we'll eat the cost. :)

 $12 is exactly what Carey (the property manager) is charging us for keyfobs. If we can get these 3rd party for cheaper, we can do that. I'm open to ideas.

So, in summary, to get your key, you need:
-$12 key deposit (If you contributed $100, your key is free)
-Completed Membership Application
-Completed Member Agreement

We'll have member applications and agreements on hand in the space on Friday night, Saturday (all day/night), and Tuesday at the meeting (from 7:00-10:00pm).

You can also call us at 919-704-HACK if you have specific questions about membership!

Thanks for hanging in there while we get everything solidified and rolling.

-- Ashley

Mark C

Sep 10, 2010, 5:36:07 PM9/10/10
to Triangle Hackerspace
Ashley,

Could you post the membership application and agreement online
somewhere, so that we can look them over before Tuesday? (Or, if
they're already there, a pointer to them.)

thanks
- Mark