Kick-Off Event @ Splat Space ??

Ashley McClelland

Oct 4, 2010, 2:34:30 PM10/4/10
to Durham Makerspace, triangle-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I’d like us to schedule a lightning talk/kickoff event for Friday, November 5th @ 7pm (??) at Splat Space– Open to other dates, but thought a Friday might be good since it will inevitably go late and we can make it an event/party. I want it to be a big “grand opening" style event for our space, aimed towards recruiting new members and getting people inside the space.I envision this being a pretty snazzy event for which we can even try to recruit sponsors for food/beverages and invite big names in the community to come give a talk.

Another good idea (before that event) might be to schedule a “build out” day sometime this month where we do things like paint, decorate the walls, hang up whiteboards, and make things look snazzier than they currently do—give the space some character. I’m open to ideas on this and dates.

I know I’ll be at the space this Saturday – and may grab some paint, too. I’m interested in painting the pipes to put a little color in the room and also remind us where they are. :) I was thinking red, but we could probably go with logo colors even if we thought that was snazzy, too. Any other ideas on this or people who are free this weekend and would like to do some aesthetic work on the space?

Will mention tomorrow as well.

Also, I’ll be at the space tonight (Monday) ~6:30-9pm w/ Alan for make/craft night. We’ll either be crocheting, soldering, or making music-- or all of the above. :)

Cheers,

Ashley

Michael Clemmons

Oct 4, 2010, 3:01:58 PM10/4/10
to triangle-h...@googlegroups.com, Durham Makerspace
You forgot to mention whats happening on saturday.... @1.  Computer testathon

Ashley McClelland

Oct 15, 2010, 1:18:41 PM10/15/10
to Durham Makerspace, triangle-h...@googlegroups.com
Friday, November 5th someone has booked the conference room, and I'd like us to be able to utilize the whole basement for that night, soooo ---

The two dates I have in mind currently are Thursday, November 11th and Friday, November 12th -- both @ 7pm.

Feedback? Thursday versus Friday? We'll also need people to give talks, so start thinking about your 5 minutes worth of glory to share with everyone! :D

--ashley

Mike Broome

Oct 21, 2010, 10:32:34 PM10/21/10
to Ashley McClelland, Durham Makerspace, triangle-h...@googlegroups.com
Of the two options, I think Friday (11/12) would be better.
Thursday (11/11) is the monthly TriLUG meeting which will pull some
of our members and target audience away.

Mike

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 01:18:41PM -0400, Ashley McClelland wrote:
> Friday, November 5th someone has booked the conference room, and I'd like us
> to be able to utilize the whole basement for that night, soooo ---
>

> *The two dates I have in mind currently are Thursday, November 11th and
> Friday, November 12th -- both @ 7pm. *

> Feedback? Thursday versus Friday? We'll also need people to give talks, so
> start thinking about your 5 minutes worth of glory to share with everyone!
> :D
>
> --ashley
>

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Ashley McClelland <armccl...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone!
> >

> > I?d like us to schedule a* lightning talk/kickoff event for Friday,
> > November 5th @ 7pm* (??) at Splat Space? Open to other dates, but thought

> > a Friday might be good since it will inevitably go late and we can make it

> > an event/party. I want it to be a big ?grand opening" style event for our

> > space, aimed towards recruiting new members and getting people inside the
> > space.I envision this being a pretty snazzy event for which we can even try
> > to recruit sponsors for food/beverages and invite big names in the community
> > to come give a talk.
> >

> > Another good idea (before that event) might be to schedule a *?build out?
> > day* sometime this month where we do things like paint, decorate the

> > walls, hang up whiteboards, and make things look snazzier than they

> > currently do?give the space some character. I?m open to ideas on this and
> > dates.
> >

> > I know I?ll be at the space this Saturday ? and may grab some paint, too.
> > I?m interested in painting the pipes to put a little color in the room and

> > also remind us where they are. :) I was thinking red, but we could
> > probably go with logo colors even if we thought that was snazzy, too. Any
> > other ideas on this or people who are free this weekend and would like to do
> > some aesthetic work on the space?
> >

> > Will mention tomorrow as well.
> >

> > Also, I?ll be at the space tonight (Monday) ~6:30-9pm w/ Alan for
> > make/craft night. We?ll either be crocheting, soldering, or making music--

Lenore Ramm

Oct 22, 2010, 8:50:36 AM10/22/10
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com, Ashley McClelland, Durham Makerspace, triangle-h...@googlegroups.com
I agree. It would also be nice to not have to go to work the next day. :)

Lenore